“They don't answer phone” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites

The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites
Ranked #11 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Edwardsville, Canada
“They don't answer phone”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

I tried about 8 times to contact hotel that I would be arriving late. I tried the website # as well as the number I had on Bookings.com (had an employees personal cell # and they were not working at the time) Everything was ok when I got there but was frustrated.
The room was amazing and much better than I expected. The bed was so comfortable. I wasn't too impressed with the front desk staff. I wrote to the hotel about my concern but received a generic letter back..apology and a description of the renovations that have been done. I will not stay at this hotel again. I was taking a friend to Halifax for a medical appointment from Sydney and we left later than expected to get there. Hotel accommodations were great but service not.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Darren M, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
My apologies for your recent poor experience. I too would not be pleased with such service. I can assure you what you experienced is not what we pride ourselves given high standards. I was made aware of your concern and for some strange reason the direct line to our Revenue Manager was linked to your booking site. This was quickly rectified. I'm pleased you enjoyed our product and central location. I am confident we have terrific service professionals and hoping you will try us again so we can demonstrate this to you. Hope your friend's medical appointment exceeded expectations.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
Burlington, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel three nights last weekend. We chose it because of the location and old charm etc. We were not disappointed about both aspects, however we found the rest of the Hotel
tired and some what outdated. Our room had good view of the park on the night floor which I was pleased about but I was totally disturb about the strong, continues noise coming from the fan in the bathroom. When I have asked I was told that there is nothing they can do about this problem. Apparently it is uniquely attached problem to 8 and 9th floors. when I asked to change to 7th floor
I was told that the hotel was all booked next two nights. Luckily the noise disappeared at around 11pm but back on sharply at 6am. In addition to this all I found the linen is not up to par with 4 star status at all….wrinkled, not crispy clean pillow cases etc…makes it very hard for me to relax and sleep.The staff was very courteous however naturally they can not do much about deficiencies of the building. In summary I would not stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank echappe
Darren M, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
I can certainly appreciate your disappointment given noise and quality of linen. I wish our staff would have made a better decision and offered you a room in an alternate location. I discussed your comments with our Maintenance Manager since I am not aware of why you would experience such overnight noise which I can assure you is not common at all since our 8th & 9th floors are often our most popular. We have recently made a few changes to our linen which I can appreciate is an important amenity. I really hope you will reconsider and give us another try to meet and exceed your expectations and invite you to contact me directly if you wish to return so I can help make this stay more enjoyable.
Cape Breton Island, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

Lovely old hotel, we were given a great rate so we booked a "suite", although the room was clean and tidy I think the term suite was a stretch. It did have a sitting area and I believe a small kitchen nook (which we did not use) the room was quite small. However, the staff are amazing , the room was very clean and the restaurant was excellent. The location is hard to beat and we would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for recent visit and feedback Otis. We have a variety of different rooms which includes larger suites that have an added living area. My suggestion is to request one of our Parlor or Premier Suites in the future which confident would meet your expectations. Always nice to receive positive comments regarding staff which really are our most important assets. Please come stay with us again when in Halifax. Hope you enjoy the summer in beautiful Cape Breton Island.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel for four nights just recently. I enjoyed the nice lobby, the cheerfulness of the staff and the quiet rooms with very comfortable beds.
The location is also very convenient, next to a busy shopping street (Spring Garden St) and across from the Botanical gardens, only 10-15 min walk from the waterfront.
The staff is very helpful and happy to answer any questions you may have about the city,...
I recommend this place and would be happy to go back if I come to Halifax again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you Annecie for recent visit and sharing your comments. I am very pleased that you enjoyed our product, service and satisfied with value received. Hope you will tell all your friends and bring them all with you when you return to Halifax again since grateful you would stay with us. Hope you enjoy a terrific summer.
Fredericton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

I asked for a few additional items to be in our room, as I was travelling with two young children (both under 3) and they quickly arranged all items and had it set up before we arrived. I was pleasantly pleased and will return again without hesitation

• Stayed May 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Darren M, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
I'm pleased you were satisfied the service you received during your most recent visit. It must be challenging on occasion to travel with two young children so grateful to know our team were well prepared and took good care of you and your family. Hope you were able to relax a little and enjoy our central location. Thank you for taking the time to share such positive feedback for others to reference and pleased you would come back to stay with us when in Halifax.
Comox Valley, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

While visiting my Father in Bedford, I decided to have a personal pub and casino night out downtown, so I booked a mid-week room for only $89 at the Lord Nelson Hotel, and at this price I was not expecting much.

Was I surprised? Oh ya! From the moment the two pleasant doormen greeted me, to the lovely front desk gal who whisked me through registration, to the classic décor of the hotel and into my beautifully appointed room...I was amazed and felt a bit guilty I paid so little for so much.

It was easy walking to pubs, restaurants and the Casino and I would recommend to anyone visiting Halifax to check out this hotel, it's a true bargain for such an impressive hotel.

Cheers, Paul

Room Tip: I always ask for a top floor room at the end of the hall and I am never disappointed.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Paulshappy
Thank you Paul for recent visit and for taking the time to share such positive comments. I'm pleased you were satisfied with service, product and value received. I see you took advantage of one of our very special promotional offers. This is often designed to get guests like you in our hotel which provides us the opportunity to showcase our excellent team of service professionals along with our beautiful historical product. Hope you enjoyed this time with your family and please continue to share your wonderful experience with your hundreds of friends.
Sewell, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

I stayed at the Lord Nelson during May 2014 for one night. Although the hotel was not filled to capacity it wasn't until after check in time, that I received a phone call that my check in was available. Frustrating after a long day of travel, but not too horrific in the grand scheme of things.

I loved the decor of the entire hotel. The lobby smelled of fresh cut flowers, the hallways were decorated nicely, and my room was very neat and clean. I also appreciated the Aveda personal products, along with the complimentary water bottles.

My biggest frustration was the continental breakfast was $12.95 per person. I found this to be a bit outrageous considering all of the amenities at other hotels that are currently complimentary. Had I known this ahead of time, I probably would have booked a different hotel in the immediate area. I'm very excited to see they're building a Homewood Suites a few blocks away.

Also, housekeeping was knocking on my door at 8am to clean my room. The lady was very nice and extremely professional, but that was a tad bit early for my liking.

Overall, other than the price the hotel was great. I probably won't stay there again due to the overall value, but it was not an unpleasant experience in anyway.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Darren M, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Thank you for your decision to stay with us. Pleased you found our staff friendly and helpful and product clean. I can certainly appreciate your feedback and can assure you our rates are very competitive. We also offer special packages and promotions which are very popular and include continental breakfast with some of our upgraded rooms if preferred in the future. We want our guests to be satisfied with value received so our rates are often lower than our competitors.

I too would not like to be disturbed unexpectedly so early in the morning so my sincere apologies. We have practices in place to avoid disturbing anyone until a bit later in the morning and often encourage our guests to hang their do not disturb sign which our employees are required to respect.

I hope you were able to relax a little, enjoy our central location along with time in our city.