“First on my list for a room in Halifax”

The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites
Ranked #11 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Cape Breton
“First on my list for a room in Halifax”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We always try first to stay at the Lord Nelson. When the price is competitive, that's where we stay. Great location, clean and classic in design. Parking is also very convenient compared with other hotels in the city. Highly recommended (though have to say we are a little disappointed with the restaurant renovations, especially the menu - but that's a matter of taste).

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Darren M, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
A sincere thank you for your decision to come stay with us again and for sharing such positive feedback. I am very proud of our historical product and believe we have the best staff in the city. I can appreciate your comments regarding our restaurant renovations and invite you to share with us your suggestions since often used to make changes to better meet the needs of our guests. Hope we will continue to remain your "home away from home" when in Halifax.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Nice hotel. We stayed as part of an $89 travelzoo promotion. All we had left to pay was parking and taxes. Clean rooms. Modernized. Nicely greeted on check in. Parking underground. Close to everything.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the park.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Darren M, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thanks for decision to stay with us and pleased you enjoyed our service, product and satisfied with value received. Hope you will come stay with us again when in Halifax.
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed here for a couple of nights on a recent touring holiday of Nova Scotia and PEI. When we arrived the doorman got our bags and led us to reception which promised a lot for the rest of the hotel. Sadly we found it was an empty promise. When we got to our room it faced the plant area of the hotel with constant noise from the air con units and other pieces of machinery. The room and corridors were a little tired and both of the large mirrors by the lifts were cracked. Although a little tired the room and corridors were clean and tidy.
On the second night we decided to eat in the hotel restaurant. My husband went to reception to see if he could take a menu to our room, to see if we could take a look before we went down and was told in no uncertain terms that the menu could be removed from the restaurant. We went down for dinner anyway and immediately we sat down the same waitress was there asking us what we wanted to drink. Drink order taken, they took 10 mins to arrive. I kid you not. All the while we were being hovered over by said waitress to place our food order, eat our food, ask for the bill and then finally pay. She was way too irritating for me. That said the food was OK. The rest of the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful and could not do enough for you.
The location of this hotel is perfect for getting around the city and exploring. Should i return, i would eat out

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the park.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank for your decision to stay with us. I was very pleased when I started to read your review since happy you enjoyed a pleasant welcome. I can appreciate your comments and wish to apologize for product disappointment and poor restaurant experience. I can assure you your comments have been shared with our Food Service Leadership Team since I agree service like this is not acceptable. We have menus available in our rooms along with Front Desk for guests to reference when helpful. I hope you will come stay with us again when in Halifax and pleased to share there are many options for all types of dining nearby that we would be happy to recommend. Hope you enjoyed your time in Halifax and enjoyed a pleasant return home.
Edwardsville, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

I tried about 8 times to contact hotel that I would be arriving late. I tried the website # as well as the number I had on Bookings.com (had an employees personal cell # and they were not working at the time) Everything was ok when I got there but was frustrated.
The room was amazing and much better than I expected. The bed was so comfortable. I wasn't too impressed with the front desk staff. I wrote to the hotel about my concern but received a generic letter back..apology and a description of the renovations that have been done. I will not stay at this hotel again. I was taking a friend to Halifax for a medical appointment from Sydney and we left later than expected to get there. Hotel accommodations were great but service not.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
My apologies for your recent poor experience. I too would not be pleased with such service. I can assure you what you experienced is not what we pride ourselves given high standards. I was made aware of your concern and for some strange reason the direct line to our Revenue Manager was linked to your booking site. This was quickly rectified. I'm pleased you enjoyed our product and central location. I am confident we have terrific service professionals and hoping you will try us again so we can demonstrate this to you. Hope your friend's medical appointment exceeded expectations.
Burlington, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel three nights last weekend. We chose it because of the location and old charm etc. We were not disappointed about both aspects, however we found the rest of the Hotel
tired and some what outdated. Our room had good view of the park on the night floor which I was pleased about but I was totally disturb about the strong, continues noise coming from the fan in the bathroom. When I have asked I was told that there is nothing they can do about this problem. Apparently it is uniquely attached problem to 8 and 9th floors. when I asked to change to 7th floor
I was told that the hotel was all booked next two nights. Luckily the noise disappeared at around 11pm but back on sharply at 6am. In addition to this all I found the linen is not up to par with 4 star status at all….wrinkled, not crispy clean pillow cases etc…makes it very hard for me to relax and sleep.The staff was very courteous however naturally they can not do much about deficiencies of the building. In summary I would not stay there again.

1 Thank echappe
Darren M, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
I can certainly appreciate your disappointment given noise and quality of linen. I wish our staff would have made a better decision and offered you a room in an alternate location. I discussed your comments with our Maintenance Manager since I am not aware of why you would experience such overnight noise which I can assure you is not common at all since our 8th & 9th floors are often our most popular. We have recently made a few changes to our linen which I can appreciate is an important amenity. I really hope you will reconsider and give us another try to meet and exceed your expectations and invite you to contact me directly if you wish to return so I can help make this stay more enjoyable.
Cape Breton Island, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

Lovely old hotel, we were given a great rate so we booked a "suite", although the room was clean and tidy I think the term suite was a stretch. It did have a sitting area and I believe a small kitchen nook (which we did not use) the room was quite small. However, the staff are amazing , the room was very clean and the restaurant was excellent. The location is hard to beat and we would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thanks for recent visit and feedback Otis. We have a variety of different rooms which includes larger suites that have an added living area. My suggestion is to request one of our Parlor or Premier Suites in the future which confident would meet your expectations. Always nice to receive positive comments regarding staff which really are our most important assets. Please come stay with us again when in Halifax. Hope you enjoy the summer in beautiful Cape Breton Island.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel for four nights just recently. I enjoyed the nice lobby, the cheerfulness of the staff and the quiet rooms with very comfortable beds.
The location is also very convenient, next to a busy shopping street (Spring Garden St) and across from the Botanical gardens, only 10-15 min walk from the waterfront.
The staff is very helpful and happy to answer any questions you may have about the city,...
I recommend this place and would be happy to go back if I come to Halifax again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you Annecie for recent visit and sharing your comments. I am very pleased that you enjoyed our product, service and satisfied with value received. Hope you will tell all your friends and bring them all with you when you return to Halifax again since grateful you would stay with us. Hope you enjoy a terrific summer.