“Beautiful lobby, great location”

The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites
Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Entrance is just beautiful. Old world wood everywhere with magnificent chandeliers.
Our room Was on the 6 floor . The room 641 is far too much to walk to and overlooks the parking.
BUT the room is very beautifully furnished.
It has two twin beds, so if you. Are after one king bed, you should ask for it before...

The public garden is across the street. It is nice, though a bit neglected and not every tastefully done. As a gardener I am a bit sensitive to crushing colors...
Walking distance to the broad walk, with the sea food restaurants and ships, boats, etc.
It is a pleasant walk.
We took a taxi back as the hills were to much to climb back ... Cost $6 .

Room Tip: Try to get a room with king size bed that over looks the park
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Darren M, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thank you Daniella for your recent visit and for taking time to share comments of your experience. I`m pleased you were satisfied with service, product and value received. We have a variety of different rooms that offers choice of double, queen and king beds. My apologies for any discomfort or disappointment given local of room. We invite guests to share their personal preferences at time of reservations which is very helpful to ensure we meet and hopefully exceed expectations. You can also upgrade upon arrival to a different room type for a nominal fee that many of our guests appreciate. I love our central location however can appreciate your comments since there are several hills depending on the route taken to get to waterfront. Given your passion for gardening I hope you found our floral arrangements in the front entrance and lobby inviting. Please come stay with us again soon and again thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I knew right away when I entered that this place was going to be one of those experiences that I would want to share with others. The doorman met me with a smile and was ever so helpful, did I need help with my luggage and was there anything else he could do for me during my stay just ask....the girl on the front desk was just as pleasant and helpful. The room had so much character, a little bit of the old design preserved and a little bit of the new, just enough to make it interesting and yet comfortable. The pub was nicely decorated and again the staff was most helpful and even took the time to recommend dishes that were the most popular on the menu. Location is ideal. Close to the public gardens and it is absolutely beautiful this time of year. Shopping close by and lots of eateries with selections to suit all tastes and budgets. Don't let this place go by without your consideration when visiting Halifax, you will not regret it for one minute.

Room Tip: Garden side would be beautiful in the summer time. Overlooks a busy street if you are a light sleepe...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Helen M

Thank you Helen for the fabulous feedback. I am very proud of our historical product and team of service professionals so your comments are very rewarding. I shared this with our entire staff which confident they will appreciate as well. We want guests to feel just like you. Please come again any time and again my sincere appreciation for your thoughtful comments.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Room was excellent. Amenities good. Bedding excellent. Staff of hotel very good. We were there for a bridge tournament and the staff just jumped through hoops at all times for us. We will make this an annual trip and stay at this hotel as we loved everything about it.

Room Tip: See if you can get an upgrade to a suite. They are extra special with full kitchen.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you Bseagram for your feedback. We were very excited to receive the opportunity to take good care of you and your friends during this very special annual event. Our staff loved this experience and really enjoyed many of the the personal connections made with many of you. It`s rewarding to know you were fully satisfied and we are certainly looking forward to hosting you again next year. I hope your results exceeded expectations and also able to relax and enjoy our central location as well.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Stayed here with an infant and toddler and we loved the little details. Lots of historic details are still preserved and maintained from the original ceilings, post box and clock but then there's modern amenities like usb ports and free wifi. No pool but there is a gym.

They offer both metal cribs and pack and plays which is great for those who prefer one over the other. Suites are very spacious but the executive room we stayed in had plenty of storage options and our double stroller parked fairly well in the closest. The fridge has a freezer compartment- great for storing breastmilk for your travels!

Loved the free water, chocolate and weather reports at turn down service! Not too many thrills and frills but there's a lot of charm, history and personalized service. We've stayed here numerous times during our childless days and this was the first with the kids.. will stay again especially based on the location! Walking distance to most things in the downtown core.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Darren M, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

I really appreciate not only your loyalty but also taking the time to share such positive comments for others to reference. Being a parent of a 2 1/2 year old I can appreciate how previous your time must be. I remember seeing your beautiful family several times in our lobby and it is very rewarding to know we will continue to be your "home away from home" when in Halifax. Congratulations on your new addition which confident is very exciting.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed here for two nights at the end of June and it was so lovely. The staff were friendly and efficient (as they were throughout Canada), the decor is attractive and we had such a nice room overlooking the park and with Aveda toiletries, the park is well worth a visit and has a small cafe and ice cream parlour.The situation is excellent for touring round Halifax on foot. We ate in the bar on one day and the food was some of the best that we found in Nova Scotia. One note of caution though - we were allocated a courtyard room which we felt was small and dark, so we happily paid a small amount extra for a larger room.

Overall one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in.

Room Tip: Have one facing the lovely park
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your decision to stay with us. It's rewarding to know you enjoyed our service, product and satisfied with value received. We did a complete renovation of our restaurant in February and continue to receive lots of positive feedback. Hope you enjoyed our recent warm weather and I invite you to please return and see us again when in Halifax.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

This hotel has amazing staff - at least 95% of them, but has rested on their laurels as an old quirky hotel and it shows.

Locked out of your room? No problem, just wait 5 minutes for an elevator, go downstairs to the front desk and hope you have ID.

Light not working in your room? Don't worry, it'll get sorted out on day 4 of your stay.

Want to hang with a Matlock convention - come in the summer! But forget having breakfast at 6:30am or dinner at 4:30pm. Don't worry though - the bar clears out by 10!!

Stay at the Prince George instead and thank me later.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Basher22
Darren M, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

My sincerely apologies for your poor experience. I was hoping to be change your perception of us before you left however can appreciate your comments. We did experience an unexpected challenge with one of our three elevators which did result in some delays which was unfortunate. For safety reasons we only issue room keys to guests we recognize or able to provide us identification. I can appreciate such a delay is often inconvenient however something our staff and required to adhered too. I hope you will take me up on my offer and give us another chance when returning to Halifax in August. I was fortunate to have been part of the team at the Prince George Hotel for 15 years and agree they have a beautiful properly. However proud of our historical product and professional service team that I an assure is worth trying again.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We had 3 nights here and couldn't fault it. A delightful hotel. Good customer service, nice breakfast, well situated. Good size room. Now one of our favourite hotels after a 3 week trip around Eastern Canada and Nov Scotia.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank for the positive review and pleased you enjoyed our service, product and your time in Halifax. We have a variety of different rooms that range is size so I can certainly appreciate your comments. You can often upgrade upon arrival for a very nominal fee that many of our guests share is a great value which happy to know you were satisfied with. Hope you will come stay with us again soon.