“Lovely old hotel; excellent location!”

The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites
Ranked #11 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
“Lovely old hotel; excellent location!”
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Although it is showing its age, this hotel has lots of character. Beautiful lobby! We moved into a larger room after the first night because we found ours too small, particularly the bathroom. I really liked that the windows could be opened to let in fresh air. The staff were helpful and friendly and you cannot beat the location. Everything is within walking distance including great restaurants and museums and the waterfront. This hotel was a little pricey and we didn`t count on paying $20 per day for parking. However, as first time tourists to Halifax, we were very happy with our choice!

• Stayed July 2014
DarrenMartell, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you for your recent visit and very helpful and positive feedback. We are pleased to offer a variety of different room types so nice to know you enjoy your move to a bigger room. If helpful in the future we offer packages that would include breakfast or parking that might be a better value. I can assure you our parking rates are very competitive however can appreciate how this would be disappointing if you were not expecting to pay for this service. We are always looking at ways to enhance our product and I agree it is very important to keep it well maintained without losing our historical feel and charm. Hopefully we will continue to be your hotel of choice when you return again to Halifax.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed in Halifax for one night and choose The Lord Nelson for our trip.. Fell a bit ill later in the day, and ended up staying in most of the time , so our room was the perfect place to feel comfortable and rested for the rest of our travels . We Made it into the bar for a few drinks and the staff were awesome ... So friendly :)!!We plan on maybe trying Halifax again sometime , and already know we will stay here again ,based on our one night

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Very unfortunate that you were ill which confident not very fun Tara. However pleased you found our product comfortable and staff friendly which hopefully helped your recovery. I'm very grateful to you for sharing your positive comments and pleased we will continue to be your hotel of choice when returning to Halifax.
Stowe, Vermont
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This hotel went out of it's way to make sure our honeymoon stay for one night was super special. We stayed in one of the suites and it was well worth it. Room was huge and bed was super comfy! Staff greeted us with complimentary wine and chocolates for our special night. Everything was clean and staff was friendly. Bathroom had everything we needed and had aveda products :) Convenient location right across from lovely gardens and easy walk to bars, restaurants and waterfront. Was our first time in Nova Scotia and will definitely be back to Halifax!

Would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Very rewarding to know we helped make your special occasion memorable Colleen. Thank you for taking the time to share such positive comments and hope you will come stay with us again if you return to Halifax.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here with a volleyball team for a tournament hosted at Dalhousie university. The hotel was very accommodating to the group and very helpful in getting us sorted out. The rooms were basic but served our purposes well. The foyer was really fantastic and the atmosphere was much better than the usual 3 star hotels we are stuck in. It was a lovely stay and we hope to return next year.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Darren M, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
I hope your event exceeded expectations Jeremy and thank you for taking the time to post your positive comments. Grateful to you you will be returning again next year.
Thornhill, Canada
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Stayed here for a Conference and very much enjoyed this hotel. Extremely cordial and helpful staff, great restaurant and of course the building is just fantastic. Our meeting facilities were very nice and we were well looked after. A bonus is the location, right across from one of the best public gardens anywhere and close proximity to great shopping and the waterfront.

Room Tip: The suites are nice, kitchen is handy
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Pleased to know your conference exceeded your expectations and also able to relax and enjoy our central location as well. We are very proud of our historical product so your comments are very rewarding to receive. Please come see us again when in Halifax.
Cornwall, Canada
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Wonderful three night stay last weekend. The hotel is really a beautiful, quiet spot in busy Halifax.. The staff was so attentive and polite and always a smile and kind word. Truly enjoyed my very clean, elegant room and fantastic service from all

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you Tercor123 for recent visit and such a positive review. Grateful you fully satisfied with product, service and value received. Please come see us again anytime.
Canada
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Last year I wrote a review on the Lord Nelson- I had been overly disappointed. I filled out my customer service on my experience and was shortly contacted by the Hotel for further details. The manager who called was polite, friendly, and apologetic about my stay. I was given a voucher to both the restaurant and the hotel, so I could come back on a future stay.

I returned this spring and was pleasantly surprised by my stay this time. The customer service was good but it was last time. This time the condition of the room was much cleaner. I ordered room service and the service was prompt and the server was very friendly.

One minor issue I had was that the check-out time can no longer be extended to 3 pm even if you will pay a fee. It meant needing to pack up before a meeting and then returning to check out and have lunch. It was a minor issue but one that matters when staying on a quick overnight trip.

The re-vamping of the Victory Arms restaurant was actually the best part of the trip. Atmosphere was great, the new decor, stylish and impeccably clean. The best part of the updating was the menu! The meals are traditional pub fare with gourmet twists- I had Arms Clubhouse on sourdough bread with a fried egg. DELICIOUS! I would say that since my last trip they have hired a proper chef- the quality control was evident on this visit!!! Awesome stuff- this is what I expected last visit and I am pleased that it has improved so much since.

The only other issue that occurred was paying for the parking and room service. I had paid in cash but had been double billed to my credit card. However, when I phoned the hotel to let them know they were prompt and courteous in making the correction.

This was a much better stay and I will be happy to book with Lord Nelson again in the future when in Halifax :) Dissatisfied to SATISFIED customer.

Room Tip: If you want a better view you're going to ask for a room that has one. This trip and last all I...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
DarrenMartell, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
It is vitally important that we recover when something does go wrong so very rewarding to know that in such rare occasions we can exceed expectations. My sincere thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience and I'm pleased we were able to address your minor concerns in a timely manner to your satisfaction. I hope we will continue to be your hotel of choice when in Halifax.