“Grand old Hotel”

The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites
Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed 19 February 2011

My wife and I stayed 2 evenings at the Lord Nelson and our overall experience was excellent. We decided to stay at that hotel because it was close to the VG Hospital where we needed to have a processors done. As well, the hotel is centrally located near Spring Garden. The hotel gave us a medical rate of $159 for a large,clean and tastefully decorated Jr Suite. This hotel is about 100 years old but is very well managed, roomy and quiet. The staff was friendly and professional and they even gave us free limousine service to the hospital. Also, because they were busy during our stay due to the winter opinions, resulting in our waiting an hour for our room at check-in, they gave us 4 complimentary breakfasts. Also, their 1pm checkOut time is very convenient.
This is probably not a great place for kids. However, it is a very good adult hotel. We also ate at the hotel tavern a few times and the food/service were excellent. There is also paid underground parking.

• Stayed: February 2011
Lawrence_MacDonald, Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2011

Thank you for the kinds words about our Hotel. February has been a busy month for us with the Canada Games. Many of our guests take advantage of our complimentary limo service, so I'm glad were were able to help you out.

We look forward to you visiting us again in the future.

Lawrence MacDonald
Reservations Manager

There are newer reviews for The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites

Reviewed 14 February 2011

My husband and I spent 5 days at the Lord Nelson, what I want to say is the location of the hotel is great, Downtown Halifax across from the gardens. We fell in love the character of the hotel very classic and old. there was no pool which we thought funny but...we actually liked the idea of no pool as it kept the " kids " away. The parking was ideal. I have a thing for germs, I usually bring my own cleaning products to clean the sink, doorknobs, phone and remote controls. this is just habit for me, but really I didn't have the need because it was very very clean. The staff was awesome.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Lawrence_MacDonald, Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2011

Pownalgal;

Thank you very much for the kind words regarding your recent stay with us. Many of our guests have also found our location being ideal for spending time in Halifax, and having access to our lovely city. We pride oursleves in our high Housekeeping standards and appreciate that you also noticed the effort we put into ensuring all our rooms meet this standard.

Thank you again, and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Lawrence MacDonald
Reservations Manager.

Reviewed 26 January 2011

Located near Spring Garden Rd., the hotel is within easy walking distance of shops, restaurants & the Public Gardens.

The Public spaces in hotel have obviously been recently redecorated & done so sensitively. It is evocative of a 1930s, Deco, period, elegant, but comfortable.

The room was a good size & well maintained. There was a complimentary Business Centre where I was able to print a boarding pass. As well, staff were very courteous & professional, accomodating my request for a late check out.

I would certainly return.

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed 20 January 2011

I stayed at this hotel because my mother was have eye surgery and it was close to the hospital.....the parking was not included and was $20.00 a night....when we left our car we had to walk quite a distance to the eleveator to get to the hotel and board an elevator then when we got off that elevator we arrived in the lobby and had to board another elevator to get to the 4th floor....my mother is 84 and I am disabled and ...I felt like we were walking forever when we got off the elevator....the room was at one end of hall near the stairway and was very isolated......after leaving for supper and coming back....we had to ask for a room closer to the eleveator...the whole ordeal was so inconvenient for us....After surgery the next day....we arrived back at the hotel and my husband had to park in front of the hotel and leave the car to help me get my mother into the hotel without her looking at all while all the time the door man stood their watching and did not offer to help....my husband had to return to the car and then go park while we waited for him in the lobby....Check out is not until 1:00 p.m. but at 8:30 someone was knocking at our door and woke us up.....never again

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank barbaracleary
Reviewed 22 December 2010

The Lord Nelson is terrific - the location is central and within walking distance from most attractions. There is real charm to the property, from the stately entrance to the well-appointed rooms. The hotel is immaculately clean and housekeeping staff do a fine job of keeping things tidy on a daily basis. The WiFi makes doing work-related activities easy - from your room, to the lobby or the pub. (The lobster roll in the pub is the best I've had anywhere!) This is a fine hotel, and absolutely made a wet and coldish stay in Halifax a pleasure. I would stay again and have recommended staying to others going to Halifax for business!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 November 2010

I stayed there in early September when Halifax was hit by tropical storm 'Earl' (downgraded from "hurricane"). The city centre around this hotel was without power for 22 hours. What surprised me was that a hotel of this calibre did not have an emergency generator which could operate at least one of the three elevators. Some people were stuck on an elevator (but eventually rescued). Worse, many (including elderly) guests checking in or out had to lug their baggage up and down the fire stairs. Very poor. No compensation offered to guests.
Fortunately, the window in my room could be opened (I hate sealed rooms) and I could get fresh air in the room (after the storm). It would have been awful if one depended totally on air conditioning.
The continental breakfast on the mezzanine is poor. Very awkward set-up.
This hotel has a great location. I'd recommend it but with warnings about some of the shortcomings.
As Nova Scotia is subject to major storms and power outages, any hotel as prestigious as this should have an emergency generator to operate one elevator (and emergency lighting in the ensuite bathrooms which were in total darkness).

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 October 2010

I found most hotels in Halifax to be quite expensive in relation to other cities so I was relieved to find an end of season discounted rate at the Lord Nelson. I felt even better about it when I saw what a nice hotel it was. The check in was smooth and the porter was there quickly to help with our rather large pile of bags. I booked in a petite double and found it was much larger than I was expecting and certainly more than comfortable for one person. My travelling companions were in a standard room with a king sized bed and there was plenty of room to move around. The rooms were very clean and well maintained and the beds were incredibly comfortable. The location is good with the Public Gardens and the Citadel close by and many restaurants on Spring Garden Road. We had dinner at the Esti restaurant and it was excellent. We were all very pleased with the hotel and I would definitely stay there again if I am ever in Halifax.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family