“good exhibition but rude staff in the gallery cafe”

Art Gallery of Nova Scotia
Ranked #20 of 138 things to do in Halifax
More attraction details
Owner description: Art museum focusing on provincial and Canadian artwork in various mediums.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“good exhibition but rude staff in the gallery cafe”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

The exhibition is good. I joined the visit tour and the guide, Jim, is very knowledgable and helpful. I learned a lot from his sharing and elaboration. I had my lunch at the small restaurant on the ground floor before going around the gallery. I ordered a soup which is pretty good. However, the waitress is rude. When I paid the bill, she put down the receipt on the table without saying anything. She seems discriminates against me because of my race or maybe she is not satisfied with the tips. I paid 15% tips which I think it is good enough for one order of soup. She is rude and I will never return to this cafe anymore.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Ying Y

13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Large museum - small collection”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Admission was free so nothing to complain about. The museum is in two bulidings and covers a fair amount of exhibit space. Collection has a lot of local artist, rather varied but is rather small for the side of the building.

uk
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“OK, but should be better when the work is done”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Quite a small gallery with several floors out of use due to works in progress. The Maud Lewis work was interesting - first time I've seen an artist's whole house rebuilt inside a gallery! The "Wave" on the first floor had some fair Canadian pieces but the basement was a waste of time and the "Royal links with Nova Scotia" unfortunately very dull.

1 Thank ambrose6
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Small but sweet”
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Yes it's under renovation so yes, you get in for free. Be sure and see the Maud Lewis exhibit. Very inspiring. Annie Leibowitz, the famous photographer, has chosen this museum for her permanent collection, which will happen when the museum reopens.

1 Thank Joan_of_art19
'the world
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Maud Lewis's little painted house”
Reviewed 23 August 2013

The museum was under repair so we had free entrance to a few of the exhibits include Maud Lewis's little painted house. We peeked into the many workshops on the main floor, where children were busy with projects. A few of the exhibits from the permanent collection were on display. We enjoyed our quick stay.

Visited August 2013