“Don't miss Maud Lewis”

Art Gallery of Nova Scotia
Ranked #14 of 145 things to do in Halifax
More attraction details
Owner description: Art museum focusing on provincial and Canadian artwork in various mediums.
Reviewed 20 October 2013

What a delightful Gallery of such varying talents! From cinematography to folk art, this site should be on your list if you like a mishmash of Art. Maud Lewis in Canadian folk art is pure and honest, unschooled yet her talent couldn't be dimmed. Don't miss this not-easy-to-find Gallery.

1  Thank MaryeeMH

Reviewed 17 October 2013

The exhibition is good. I joined the visit tour and the guide, Jim, is very knowledgable and helpful. I learned a lot from his sharing and elaboration. I had my lunch at the small restaurant on the ground floor before going around the gallery. I ordered a soup which is pretty good. However, the waitress is rude. When I paid the bill, she put down the receipt on the table without saying anything. She seems discriminates against me because of my race or maybe she is not satisfied with the tips. I paid 15% tips which I think it is good enough for one order of soup. She is rude and I will never return to this cafe anymore.

1  Thank Ying Y
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Admission was free so nothing to complain about. The museum is in two bulidings and covers a fair amount of exhibit space. Collection has a lot of local artist, rather varied but is rather small for the side of the building.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

Quite a small gallery with several floors out of use due to works in progress. The Maud Lewis work was interesting - first time I've seen an artist's whole house rebuilt inside a gallery! The "Wave" on the first floor had some fair Canadian pieces but the basement was a waste of time and the "Royal links with Nova Scotia" unfortunately very dull.

1  Thank ambrose6
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Yes it's under renovation so yes, you get in for free. Be sure and see the Maud Lewis exhibit. Very inspiring. Annie Leibowitz, the famous photographer, has chosen this museum for her permanent collection, which will happen when the museum reopens.

1  Thank Joan_of_art19