“Fun for fans of naval history”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of HMCS Sackville

HMCS Sackville
Ranked #10 of 137 things to do in Halifax
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: HMCS Sackville, the last remaining Flower Class corvette in the world, symbolizes the extraordinary effort of Canadians seventy years ago during the Second World War. Restored to her wartime configuration she serves as a museum and memorial to those lost during the Battle of the Atlantic and to honour those who serve and continue to serve in the Naval Service of Canada. HMCS Sackville is berthed at Sackville Landing adjacent to the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic in the summer and in HMC Dockyard during the winter.
DC
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Fun for fans of naval history”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Touring the Sackville gives you a real glimpse of life on board a corvette, with each room set up to replicate the conditions the sailors experienced during WWII. Really interesting even if you're not a naval history fan.

1 Thank Italinan

Ottawa
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“There is a Captain in everyone of us”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

I have visited the ship with my husband (Member of the DND-military) , as you can imagine, we visit anything that is related to war (sea, air or ground). This vessel was no exception. We have waited for a cloudy day. Usually it's 5.00$ per adults, but free for military members and their family (with proper ID's) . The ship, has a rich history, it is the last of Canada’s corvettes, it was responsible of many convoy escort ships, it was built in Canada and the UK during WWII. It's the Canada’s oldest warship ( that was fighting). It was nominated as an official Naval Memorial in 1985.

If you are eager to learn more on Canada's contribution to war, it's a must see. You'll learn a lot on the living conditions of the Men onboard, they were quite a large group living in a confined spaces, at sea for months and without too much commodity .

I loved my visit, but once you've seen one of those warship, it's like seeing the same all the time . On the other hand, if you take time to listen during the tour, each one has it's individual story to tell.

Would I recommend this tour? yes, of course. But I am not sure, that it would be appropriate to bring young kids to that activity, they might get bored in time ( I think that it would be great for pre-teens , teens , young adults , adults, veterans, or Naval history passionate).

Visited July 2014
1 Thank LineBoutinActress
Chattanooga, Tennessee
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 109 helpful votes
“Great WWII ship in pristine condition”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Come explore this awesome WWII vessel that has a lot of great history associated with it. History buffs like myself will enjoy it immensely as well as those who just like ships. Veterans act as docents on board to tell you more about her vast history. They are a wealth of information!

3 Thank OBIDOCRL
Wellesley, Massachusetts
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“HMCS Sackville Aug 18, 2014”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

An honor to see this historical ship. Although they offer a senior discount, I asked about a Military discount. Upon showing my retired US Military ID, my wife and I were granted free admission. It has been restored to it's WW II configuration and has many displays with English/French recored messages. It gives you an idea of the spartan living conditions. I would recommend it to any interested in why we don't speak German today. Honor the memory of the Greatest Generation.

Welland, Canada
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“History Preserved”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

The ship is in good condition and the guide who took us around was very knowledgeable. My children found it interesting to see how the sailors lived. They especially enjoyed climbing in the hammocks. It is an interesting and well-preserved piece of history. It made me appreciate our war contribution even more.

1 Thank rhiaus