“Cape Breton Trip”

Great E.A.R.T.H Expeditions
Ranked #9 of 49 Tours in Halifax
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: We invite you to join us for an eco-tourism adventure in Nova Scotia, Canada. Our eco-tourism and adventure tour company provides superior service and comfort from beginning to end. No need to waste your day planning, let Nova Scotia's #1 rated adventure travel operator do everything for you! Our small group tours ensure that your expedition with us will be the highlight of your vacation. All of our adventure travel tours include transportation, lunch and guiding services that will ensure you have a memorable expedition. We thank you for your interest in our company and we look forward to exploring Canada's Ocean Playground with you.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Bristol
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Cape Breton Trip”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I went on the Cape Breton trip in August and I can’t recommend it enough! Everything from my initial email/phone calls with Ryan (who was incredibly patient with my constantly dilly dallying about whether I could make the dates available!) through to the accommodation, food and activities were brilliant!
Alec and Jesse led the tour and they were great fun, as well as being very informative and knowledgeable about the history of the places we visited. They were both easy to get along with and had positive attitudes towards everything - making sure that everyone made the most of the activities and surroundings.
Although we covered a large area on our trip, it never felt like we were in the van for any great length of time as there were lots of little stop offs at some lovely towns and scenic points. The hostels we stayed in during the trip were great places, with the opportunity for BBQing and camp fires making for really sociable and fun evenings!
The kayaking and whale watching trips were great and the hikes had some of the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen! I think we were quite lucky with the weather too as it was sunny and warm every day – which was great!
If you find yourself with a few spare days in Nova Scotia – you must take this trip! You’ll love it!

2 Thank Vicky C

“Awesome time and I learned a few things!”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Our day started on a chartered boat to McNab's Island in Halifax, NS. Beautiful, warm and sunny... the trip on the harbour was excellent and a lot of fun!

Once on the island, our guide Ryan began to tell us some history and began taking us on a hiking tour around McNabs. It was so interesting to hear about early Halifax- with stories of pirates, ships, "triangle defenses" and other interesting facts that really brought you back in time!

The hike was gorgeous with awesome views, deer sightings, lush forest, forts, canons and really interesting facts from Ryan a long the way!

We then stopped for a lovely and super tasty lunch... it was everything a person could ask for in a picnic!!!

After we ate, we played a really fun game with the questions from the info provided to us during our hike.

The day was absolutely fantastic and I would recommend this to anyone. It has a little bit of everything and there is a real personal touch that makes it extremely comfortable and a lot of fun.

I would love to do another trip soon with Great E.A.R.T.H!! :)

Visited September 2013
“Really GREAT”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I enjoy walking around the places when I go travelling. I know it's hard to explore maritime provinces without driving. When I was in frustration during planning, the page of Great E.A.R.T.H Expedition suddenly popped up. They provided several tours to some famous points like Peggy's Cove and Lunenberg. Finally, I decided to join the 8-hour tour to Lunenberg last week when I was in Halifax. The guide that day was Alec. Great EARTH provides pick-up & drop-off services which I thought was quite convenient and Alec was quite punctual on that day too. Alec grew up near Lunenberg so he knew the area quite well.

The tour includes a guided hiking along Kingsburg Coastal Walk. The beach was beautiful and Alec provided quite good explanation when we walked through the forest. Alec also had good engagement with every guest in the tour. He also wouldn't rush you if you wanted to take some good pictures during the walk. Lunch, which was prepared by Alec, was included after hiking and was quite healthy.

After the lunch, Alec drove us to Lunenberg. He talked a little bit about history of Lunenberg and recommended us stores that we could go before giving us the 1-hour self-guided walk. Lunenberg was not very big and 1 hour was quite enough. But if there has an additional 1/2 hour, the trip would be much more perfect. Alec drove us to see around the Mahone Bay before our return to Halifax. You can drop off at the place you want to.

In short, I enjoyed a great day with the tour :)

Toronto
“gorgeous”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We did the full day tour - Margaret's Bay, Peggy's Cove, the Barrens. Ryan was exactly on time for picking us up. He was friendly and funny and patient with my boys and I. He was very knowledgeable about Nova Scotia and understandably proud. He even through in a few life lessons for my boys along with the historic facts. There were 5 of us in the group - myself, my two boys and 2 travelers from Australia. I liked the small size of the group. The conversation was wonderful. The weather was perfect. The lunch was great. And the scenery was beautiful. It was worth every penny. Thank you Ryan!

Burnaby, Canada
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Fun, informative & unique!”
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Based on suggestions by people had taken the same cruise, we decided to book our family of 11 (3 generations from 2 countries) on the Peggy's Cove Tour instead of the cruise's shore excursion. It was an excellent choice as everybody loved it!

Our guide Ryan (one of the owners, I believe) met us promptly and right away and throughout the tour was extremely friendly, and knowledgeable. And patient: our youngest is a know-it-all (especially about natural history) and Ryan dealt with the constant barrage with good humour.

The tour had two parts: a unique wilderness trek through the barrens near Peggy's Cove that, with the perfect weather, showcased the area perfectly. Ryan (and my son) pointed out the unique plants (e.g., the local pitcher plants and sundews), landscape and vistas along the way. We have two 70+ year olds in our group and, with a little assistance, they had no problems navigating and completing the hike. Finally, we met less than a dozen people our whole time on the trail that it only added to our relaxation and enjoyment.

After a quick ride to Peggy's Cove, we sat down for a delicious (and healthy) picnic lunch in a nice spot by the lighthouse/gift shop parking lot.

ONE SOUR NOTE: the parking attendant was either new or on a power trip and was rude and aggressive about trying to stop the van from parking with the other tour vehicles. To the Peggy's Cove people: you can do better!

We had an hour or so to tour Peggy's Cove (and buy some ice cream) and then we were driven back to the Halifax cruise terminal through an alternate route that showcased some of the local celebrities, wealthy folk and other sites.

Needless to say, this tour and its operator, Ryan, was one of the highlights of our cruise.