“Remind yourself... "I'm here for the food, and only the food"”
Review of Caribbean Twist - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Caribbean Twist
Cuisines: African, Caribbean, Jamaican
Halifax, Nova Scotia
“Remind yourself... "I'm here for the food, and only the food"”
Reviewed 16 April 2013

This is *not* the place to impress your date, or celebrate an anniversary. Consider it a lunch cafe.

Plus:
*The food is authentic and very good.
*It's popular.

Minus:
*The service is mediocre and amateur (took a while to clean our table, meal arrived with only one set of cutlery - had to fetch a 2nd set myself from another table, the waiter didn't know what green tea was - suggested I go and check the boxes myself, the waiter actually hit on my guest while I was paying the bill !! and there was no bill - you just recite what you had to the cashier.)
*Looks kinda seedy - some partitions would work wonders, as would a lick of paint.

That said, the food _was_ good. If you can overlook the service (because the waiters sure as hell do), you'll enjoy a tasty lunch.

• Visited April 2013

“Best Carriebiean place in Nova Scotia!”
Reviewed 4 March 2013 via mobile

Come here at least 2 times a week for lunch, the staff is amazing the food is homemade and delicious, the general environment is just amazing get the patties or curry chicken

Eastern Canada
“Great spicy jerk chicken”
Reviewed 22 September 2012

I had tried jerk chicken before at another restaurant in Fredericton and was very disappointed. I went to the one at the Discovery Center. Was this jerk chicken the prettiest meal I ever saw? Heck no, but it did have an authentic street food feel. I even ate some of the boiled cabbage and I hate cabbage. It was spicy without being overpowering, and the oxtail gravy on the rice was tasty. You do have to go in through the discovery center, but you do NOT have to pay admission. I would go back, i even considered taking some for the road but wasn't sure if my hotel had a fridge so I changed my mind. there were bones in the chicken but the meat just fell right off them, it was so tender.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank trinity1969
Dartmouth, Canada
“Don't bother”
Reviewed 15 August 2012

We had a hard time finding it , it was so small, we thought it was a take out. Since it was part of the discovery center and you had to pay admission, we didn't know if we we allowed to eat at the tables between the two.The girl at the counter was helpfull picking out stuff , but then ignored us. I have been to Jamacia, so the food did not compare and the Menu is very limited. Athough, I didn't mind the jerk chicken ,which was so soaked up by spice , it was black, (everything else, bland), my fiance was totally grossed out . Strong doubts we'll ever be back. Sorry.

• Visited July 2012
Bedford, Canada
“Absolutely delicious!!”
Reviewed 25 July 2012

My boyfriend and I stopped in for lunch today. We drive by this place a lot, but never managed to check it out until today. The restaurant is a simple cafe, decorated with bright colours and Jamaican flag accents. It's located in the Hydrostone area of Halifax and there's a nice view of the park across the street.

We ordered from the lunch menu. I had the Jamaican Style BBQ chicken and my boyfriend had the Jerk Chicken. Both were served with rice and peas and both were delicious. The BBQ chicken was very flavourful, sweet and tangy with a little spice. The chicken itself was very tender, practically falling off the bone. I tasted the Jerk chicken which was a little too spicy-hot for me, but then I'm a weanie. My boyfriend is a connoiseur of the spicy stuff and he thought the Jerk chicken was great. The portions were nice too: two chicken thighs with a good amount of rice, not too much, not too little.

The staff were very friendly and recommended trying one of the award winning desserts. We split a piece of Basbousa which they described as cross between a coconut square and baklava. Served with a small amount of whipped cream, no pastry, it is in fact a very delicious coconut square, not too sweet. A really nice way to finish the meal.

We also got to sample a bit of the mango-pineapple drink - very refreshing! It would go very well with a splash of rum. Unfortunately, Caribbean Twist is not licensed, the only (very small and insignificant) downside of the place.

The service was great, awesome food... I can't think of anything that I didn't like. I'll definitely be stopping in again soon. :)

• Visited July 2012