“What a find!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
New Brunswick, Canada
“What a find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

This is the nicest hotel we've stayed in in a long time and at a reasonable price. We checked in today into the jacuzzi suite. What a beautiful hotel and a beautiful room. The suite costs less than $200 total and it got us a spotless clean, huge room with a jacuzzi and all the amenities you would want. The pool area is also sparkling and gorgeous. The customer service has been sooo good with friendly staff who checked in with us after the fact to make sure we were enjoying our room. Each stay comes with a free welcome drink at the attached restaurant, a hot breakfast buffet, and access to over 450 movies for free. The view is great too and we had some nachos at the attached restaurants which were delicious. The food must be good because it was packed with locals. Parking is also free. It is not located downtown and is a little out of the way but it is in reasonable driving distance to the rest of the city. We will not stay anywhere else in the future when visiting Halifax. This is an amazing deal and a beautiful hotel

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CndnFlagOnBckpck

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Saskatoon, SK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

What happened? I stayed at this hotel a year ago and it was perfectly fine. I don't know if there has been a change of management or what, but this year the experience was definitely sub-par. In fact, my new husband and I nearly checked out on our second day (of a four day stay) to switch to a different hotel.

We stayed here for our "mini-moon" (mini honeymoon), in one of the jacuzzi suites. Check in is at 3pm. When we arrived around 3:10pm, we were told our suite had not yet been cleaned. The front desk clerk, Jessica, was very outgoing and sweet, and called the housekeeping staff to redirect them from the room they were cleaning to ours. She also gave us a couple of free drink coupons, and we settled in the restaurant for about half an hour to wait.

Our room was huge, and clean - we were quite impressed. However, that evening we were less impressed when the jacuzzi tub in the jacuzzi suite didn't work. We followed the instructions provided - including the troubleshooting (turning the breaker off and on) - no luck. As it was almost "quiet hours", we just gave up for the evening. We did call the front desk and asked for a fork and plate to eat our leftover wedding cake, and they were really kind and had one brought to us (the same guy, I think, who was cleaning our room earlier).

The following morning things took a bad turn when I discovered the metal door stopper right at the entrance to the shower - something I discovered when I stumbled over it and sprained my toe. Because the shower door was hard to move, the entrance to the shower was pretty narrow and this door stopper became a bit of a hazard. The shower, however, had good pressure and is huge (almost too big - you have to step completely out of the water to get to your amenities!).

We left the hotel just before noon that day, and returned around 7pm to discover our room had not been cleaned that day at all. I tried phoning the front desk and couldn't get an answer. I then tried phoning housekeeping and had the same problem. In the end, I walked down to the front desk to ask for towels - they offered to send someone up to clean at that point, but we didn't really want to vacate the room again for half an hour while they cleaned, for the second day in a row. The front desk clerk working this day tried to tell us that rooms were not cleaned when we left as late as noon (which was ridiculous, since they were cleaning at 3pm the day before).

That evening, we called the front about the broken jacuzzi, and their initial response was to "put a note out for the manager to look at it the next day". However, they did call us back and sent someone up to look at it - and they helped us get it working that night.

The next day, we again left shortly before noon and our room was cleaned just fine. We called that evening again to ask for a knife and fork and were told we would need to come downstairs and get them ourselves. Guess we'd worn out our welcome.

The beds at the hotel have some sort of mattress pad on them that make a "crunching" noise - lots of noise when there are two people in the bed! Also, our suite was right next to the ice and vending machines, which made the most insane amount of noise. It seems crazy to put the nicest rooms in the hotel right next to the ice machines. Totally ruins the effect! I can't speak for the free breakfast, but my husband tried it one morning - he said it was pretty standard but did miss the fresh cut fruit (though there were bananas and oranges, we are both huge fans of the cut fruit like melon and pineapple that so many breakfast buffets usually have).

We had to check out very early on our last day (3am) as we had an early flight. The desk clerk seemed quite afraid something was wrong, but when I responded our stay was less than great he quickly changed the subject. We did not receive a discount on the jacuzzi room for the night the tub did not work. The hotel also overcharges (as do many - for incidentals). I notice most fix the charge immediately - same day as checkout - but I am still waiting for the charge to be properly adjusted and the extra $100 removed. I am assuming it will be taken off today or tomorrow - just hope it happens before I pay interest on it.

We will not stay at this hotel again. We paid the same price for a much nicer hotel downtown prior to moving to this one, with friendlier service. (I believe the only person who smiled at us in four days at the Comfort Hotel was Jessica, on our first day - she was the bright spot of our stay! She also arranged to send up champagne and chocolates, and a card - thank you, Jessica! I wish all the staff at this hotel were as great as you, and perhaps we would have enjoyed our stay more.)

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Yaena
Stephanie G, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Bayer's Lake, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Dear Yaena,
I want to initially answer your question... management has not changed.
Through your 4 day visit with us, it is unfortunate that I did not get to meet you.
My assistant and I are always around during breakfast, discussing with our guests and finding out how their stay is. This gives us the opportunity to address any issues or concerns that our guests may have in an immediate manner. But as you mentioned, you did not come down to the breakfast room at all.
My staff and I do not want to see a single guest leave from our hotel disappointed. Your concerns and issues which are of great importance to me, require lengthy discussion and as a returning guest, I need to assure you that our standards remain the highest and our priority is guest satisfaction.
I would be happy to hear from you at any time if you wish to contact me. I’m positive we can gain your trust in our services again.

Owner,General Manager
Ancaster, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

Staff at this hotel are very attentive from the manager to the breakfast supervisor, especially the front desk person, Josee who looked after our every need and gave us personal attention so lacking in many other hotel chains.

1 Thank Grayson C
St. John's, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

Cannot say enough good things about this place.....lives up to all the reviews posted here and then some! We stayed here on a weekend trip to halifax for two nights, wanting somewhere close to shopping areas without having to pay a small fortune to stay at a downtown hotel. It was about a 5 minute drive to the bayers lake shopping area and theatres, and about 15 minutes from downtown waterfront so a good choice for us. Tim hortons right in the back parking lot. Hotel was spotless and the staff were some of the best I've encountered.....the young lady working on the front desk worked most of the weekend and was so friendly, every time we came in or out she made sure we were doing fine and asked about our day, along with giving some hints about places to see/go. Breakfast was included in stay, pool was a nice size and we had it all to ourselves one night. Would highly recommend and will stay here again when visiting halifax in the future.

1 Thank Reviewsbymom
minneapolis, mn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

This is a very clean, relatively new, standard freeway exit hotel. The staff are EXTREMELY friendly. The breakfast buffet is much larger and more varied than the average Holiday Inn Express or Hampton offering. The adjoining restaurant did not look very appealing, so we did not try it. The area is basic off-ramp: light industry and nearby WalMart and strip mall offerings.
We stayed in the king jacuzzi suite: large room, very clean, handicap friendly bathroom with double shower, sealed windows, relatively quiet from highway noise, but not from neighbor noise. The entire experience was satisfactory but I'm not sure why people rave! If you are sensitive to chlorine, be aware that the lobby area has a strong chlorine smell from the indoor pool. Our room was the last available king room, and a bit more expensive than I felt it worth. All in all, nice but nothing outstanding.

1 Thank nonamesforme
Stephanie G, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Bayer's Lake, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate all your positive comments and strive to rectify any issues that our guests may notice or experience.
The chlorine smell that you experienced, was the result of a pool maintenance issue that has since, been solved. We apologize for any discomfort that this may have caused.
In 2014 our on-site restaurant of 18 years, a family –casual dining restaurant which has stood the test of time, will undergo renovations.
We hope you will visit us and experience the transformation.

Newfoundland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

Stayed at this hotel one night in September 2013. This hotel is in an excellent location. Nicely situated in Bayer’s Lake with shopping and restaurants all around. You will need a car to tour it though. This hotel is beautifully decorated and the rooms are clean. Unfortunately, there was something in the room that irritated allergies in myself and others in the room. More than likely some sort of cleaning product. Other than that, we enjoyed our stay. Nice breakfast, friendly staff, easy check-in and check out. Would recommend for staying near Halifax so you don’t have to pay the price of hotel in downtown Halifax. Great for families also.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Hello Sharpay10!
Thank you for your second wonderful review regarding our hotel! We are delighted to be able to offer you a memorable stay each time.
It concerns me that both times you have experienced irritants exacerbating your allergies. I can assure you that our cleaning products are eco-friendly and scent free. What I would recommend is, that next time you book with us, to inform front desk of your allergies and housekeeping will make sure to dilute any high concentrations of cleaning products and scents. Rest assured, cleanliness will not be compromised.
Look forward to seeing you back again!

Moncton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

Pool was out of service. Couldn;'t get the ajoining room I was promised.
It was an average hotel. The Breakfast was good however and the rooms were clean.
There wasn't much place for kids to run around outside since it was a busy parking lot. Rooms were not sound proof

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank J A
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review for our hotel. It is very unfortunate that our pool in the 2 ½ years of operation was closed due to maintenance for the first time, for such an extended period. I sincerely apologize for that, but we take issues involving cleanliness and sanitation into very serious consideration. Our chemical readings were not satisfactory and we had to find the source, which took us longer than expected. Our pool technician informed us that it would be “ok” to open up the pool but we did not want to take the chance. I understand with children it was a great disappointment, but I hope in the future you will consider us and come to enjoy a swim.
During your stay we were at 100% occupancy and the hotel was quite busy, thus not making the parking lot very safe for children to run. If we had known your concern, we would have recommended a wonderful walking trail just a few meters down the road of our hotel.
In regards to the adjoining rooms, our policy is that we will try our best to accommodate the request, but unfortunately we can not promise.
We hope on your next trip to Halifax, you will consider us. You will not be disappointed!