1,320 results
All reviews canadiana restaurant free movies nimfa bautista attached restaurant front desk business park breakfast room blu ray player jacuzzi suite general manager halifax area dvd player peggy's cove the hotel manager hot breakfast free parking yogurt
Reviewed 12 October 2018

I scheduled a business trip to Atlantic Canada in late September. Now, normally I stay at closer to downtown Halifax so I'll have things to do in town but this time around, everything was booked up and I had to look farther afield to find accommodations.

My search lead me to Comfort Hotel Bayers Lake in Halifax Nova Scotia. As I hesitantly pressed the "Reserve" button, my gut reaction was "This is going to suck"

On arrival, the hotel was mired in construction in the back leading me to believe that this was not going to bode well. The reception area was wide open and beautifully accessorized in rich wood overtones. I almost had to check my itinerary to make sure I had not made a mistake.

Check-in was easy and fun and the staff was vert helpful in pointing out the amenities including, to my delight, the included hot breakfast which was 2....die....4.
They also mentioned that the resto was under construction but there was a makeshift one elsewhere in the hotel with limited menu.

"ok", I thought. So far so good.

My room was beautifully appointed and large with the same rich wood overtones and the bed was quite comfortable. The bathroom was also acceptably large enough to get acquainted with.

In-room coffee, internet and the like was all quite good.

Not having been impressed with the "limited" menu of their makeshift resto that night, I ventured next door to Cheachies Mexican Resto which I will review on another entry. Look it up. (BTW, it was freakin' awesome!!!!)

Breakfast the next day was tremendous with sausages and bacon and "REAL" eggs.

On my return in the evening, I thought I'd give the cafe makeshift a shot.
I'll keep this short.
Ordered the lasagna.
Never again.
So much for makeshift resto's
Lesson learned.

All that being said, I'm certain that when their new resto opens in the spring, the food will be tremendous and I will definitely try to make it a destination on my next trip in.

A good choice!

Happy Travels!

Room Tip: Anything but 1st floor but that's just personal....
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank qstorm11
Stephanie G, Owner at Comfort Hotel Bayer's Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Valued Guest,

We sincerely thank you for a wonderful review, highlighting everything that our hotel has to offer. Most of all, we are glad that our hotel exceeded your expectations and "it did not suck !" Lol !! It is not an uncommon misconception, that hotels not located directly in the downtown core, to be of lower quality. Being #1 on Trip Advisor since the day we opened, certainly shatters that "myth"!
Downtown Halifax is 10-15 minutes from our hotel and our success all these years is based on a culture of an inviting and warm guest experience with high quality of amenities.
I agree the construction zone next to our hotel is a bit of an eye soar as we took down our on-site restaurant which served the area for 25 years! We have exciting plans to build a fresh, modern eating establishment as you were informed, along with a banquet/conference centre. Our loyal guests were used to the convenience of our on-site restaurant , therefore we decided to open up a temporary lounge in one of our banquet rooms where our guests can relax with a drink of their choice and some light fare. It is unfortunate you did not enjoy the lasagna. So far we have had positive feedback on it, but I will definitely monitor this with our chef.

It makes us extremely happy that you will try to visit us again when in Halifax. I personally look forward to meeting you.

Best Wishes!

Stephanie Giannoulis
Owner

Reviewed 11 October 2018

The hotel had large and very nicely appointed rooms with a refrigerator, safe and microwave. Nice lobby and free local newspapers. There is also a laundry room for guests to use. There is a charge to use the washer and dryer. Large breakfast area and kept very clean. There are many breakfast items offered including french toast and pancakes. Also, they use dishes and silverware at breakfast. Breakfast is excellent, one of the best I have seen at a hotel. Spoke with the hotel manager at breakfast and she was extremely personable and helpful.

Room Tip: Fifth floor rooms
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2018

So many really excellent features – RUINED!

The awful way we were treated after requesting the ‘included’ bath robes and the level of room-to-room noise (and from the floor above) mean that, despite the excellent welcome from receptionist (Sol), the facilities of the room AND the added swimming pool bonus AND the breakfast standard, I can only mark this review below average! One needs to have a decent nights sleep.

The hotel brochure clearly states that robes, among a number of other items, are provided (please see photograph). As long as we find a nice clean room my wife and I are not much bothered about many included ‘extras’ (so cannot report on any of these) but we do appreciate the luxury of nicely laundered towelling robes for late-evening relaxing.

As no robes were provided on our first night, on our second day we enquired as to if they needed to be requested. Wow! Were we made to feel small? We were told by a rather large gentleman, with a strong voice level, after checking our room number, that robes were only provided in our rooms if they had any left-over!!! My wife showed the receptionist gentleman the hotels brochure showing that robes were indeed a ‘standard’ feature – this is not a cheap hotel. The gentleman was taken aback. Yes he said, still clearly not understanding the printed matter, ‘We do let the lower grade rooms have them if there are any leftover’. I needed to emphasise that the literature was ambiguous, at the least, and he said that he would report the ‘ambiguity’ to management. I responded ‘and I will report it in my Trip Advisor report. When my wife and I returned to the hotel later there were two robes on our bed! But…the damage, particularly the rebuke, had been done.

Such a shame. We had been greeted with a smile, and warmly, by Sol – a female and true ambassador for the Comfort Hotel chain – and allocated a really nice room (howbeit ‘standard’!) overlooking the car park – a quieter area we were advised by Sol. Unfortunately much noise from the adjoining room and thumping (walking-around) from the floor above, spoiled a relaxing retreat.

The room (309) had all the equipment and amenities expected of Comfort Hotels and then finding a refreshing swimming pool on the ground floor was just an added bonus.

Breakfast was in a clean and tidy environment – hygiene standards looked high – again with all the usuals, including a small hot selection and a waffle-maker.

It is a shame that the room noise and the terrible robe experience and the embarrassment offended has had such an effect on my rating. I think that what is stated in the hotel brochures should be provided (Management issue) but before the reprints and a high degree of staff training, on some staff, is needed to avoid a repetition of our unnecessarily degrading experience.

Room Tip: Have a top floor otherwise the noise from above (let alone from next door) will disturb!
  • Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

It is indeed a shame that your stay at our hotel was marred by a negative experience from one of our staff members!
That certainly was not his intention and definitely is not our standard of service!! Our philosophy is to take care of our guests' requests promptly while making sure that the experience is an exceptional one. Definitely, the brochure needs to be corrected to state that robes are a standard feature in our premium Jacuzzi suites and can be provided upon request to all our other room types.
After a lengthy discussion with our front desk agent, he realized that your request was not handled in a manner acceptable to our hotel culture. It is definitely a learning experience from which we sincerely apologize for the feelings of awkwardness and embarrassment that you endured.
We thank you for pointing out our cleanliness, large pool and hot breakfast. In regards to the noise issues, we certainly realize the importance of a good night's sleep and emphasize to our guests that if there is a disturbance, to notify us immediately and we will take care of it!!
Allow me to personally invite you for an exceptional experience when and if you decide to "cross the pond" again in the future! Please contact me directly. All the best!

Kind Regards,

Stephanie Giannoulis
Owner

Reviewed 6 October 2018 via mobile

My husband and I spent 5 nights (and 1 more night before flight home) at Comfort Hotel Bayer’s Lake for our 30th Wedding Anniversary Maritimes trip in September 2018. We cannot say enough about how welcome the staff and particularly the manager Nimfa made us feel. Every morning during an excellent hot breakfast (loved the fresh scrambled eggs) the manager Nimfa chats with all the guests in the dining room. Wow! This has never happened at any hotel we’ve stayed at. Nimfa even knew all our names! We were always greeted coming and going on our daily outings by staff and the manager. Always asking what our plans were and if we had a good time. It was like being with family! On our anniversary Nimfa arranged for champagne, chocolates and carrot cake to arrive in our room. Again WOW! We highly recommend this hotel and plan on returning there ourselves. The hotel is located near the highway and easy to get to airport. Many shops and restaurants a few minutes drive away. Highly recommend Fredies Fabulous Fish House. The hotel is very clean and quiet. The beds were super comfortable.Bouquets of thanks to Nimfa and the staff at Comfort Hotel. You rock!!!

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2018

It was amazing! The staff is friendly and very helpful. Our room was so comfortable and luxurious. We loved the swimmimg pool!! Breakfast was awesome, you could choose a box of cereal or bacon and eggs.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family