“Great night out - the food was worth the wait!”
Review of Wang's Grand Chinese Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Wang's Grand Chinese Restaurant
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Description: Fresh...Great quality...Best Chinese food I ever had in my life!
Description: Fresh...Great quality...Best Chinese food I ever had in my life!
Eastern Passage, Canada
“Great night out - the food was worth the wait!”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Had dinner on a Monday night with 2 friends. Very friendly staff who was very quick to get us tea and water, but it took a while to give our order and get food. The tea options are very nice if you want to try something more original than green or jasmine. The satays and lemon chicken were wonderful, and their chili beef was crunchy and flavorful the way I like it! Prices are reasonable and not surprising. Atmosphere is very pleasant making the whole experience a plus!

1 Thank suz71

Halifax, Canada
“Whats Wong with Wang?”
Reviewed 18 November 2011

We were 2 couples trying out Wang's for the first time but unfortunately we made a bad decision. We had allowed over 2 hours to enjoy the meal and to make it to a nearby theatre on time, so what was the problem?
We should have known we were in trouble when we first stepped inside the place. There were uncleared tables and only one server. She tried her best but it was obvious that one person could not handle this situation. Besides waiting on table she also had to act as cashier and answer the phone for take out orders. We had a view of the kitchen and could see only one chef there. My friend and I were served our drinks promptly enough but our husbands waited an hour for their beer order. Sensing we were in a bad situation and wanting to simplify our order we ordered the ' dinner for four' from a very extensive menu. After an hour and a half wait we were finally served. The food was plentiful but cold. tasting as if it had sat around for awhile. There was no time to enjoy it anyway as we were forced to eat quickly in order to make the theatre on time.
The problem with this place was staffing. We felt terrible for the server as none of this was her fault. I don't know if this was a one time or an ongoing situation. My advice for anyone trying this place is to look inside first before committing to a lengthy stay for a so-so meal. The clue is the uncleared tables. They never did get cleared the evening we were there.

Judybee

• Visited November 2011
Toronto
“Not just bad Chinese food, it's just bad food period”
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Terrible Chinese food.

The soup we ordered was so salty, we couldn't drink it. The edges of the crispy duck had freezer burn taste. The signature vegetarian special dish was drenched in so much sauce, we had to wipe it off on the plate before eating. Our cashew celery dish tasted like someone used left over celery for a quick flash fry and dumped a can of cashews before plating. On top of that, we all had stomach pain that night.

We tried this restaurant after reading all the positive reviews. I honestly don't know how anyone can give this place a good rating. It's not just bad Chinese food, it's just bad food period.

Keep in mind we are Chinese and we're from Toronto so our standards on Chinese food might be different, but we've been in the Halifax area for about 4 days and had a mix of good and bad food. This restaurant was definitely on the bottom end of the scale.

• Visited August 2011
Halifax
“Best Chinese restaurant ever!”
Reviewed 29 April 2011

The food is so different and amazingly good. I will say it’s the best Chinese restaurants I’ve ever ate in my life. The decor and atmosphere is nice too and the service is very friendly and prompt. I will die for the crispy duck and lemon chicken! Try it, you won’t regret!!!

P.S.: I heard from the waitress the head chef used to be an executive chef in a popular London restaurant (UK).

• Visited March 2011