“Unimpressed by the Four Points”

Four Points by Sheraton Halifax
Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Toronto, Canada
“Unimpressed by the Four Points”
Reviewed 10 February 2013

If I'm only staying at a hotel for a few nights I don't want the bed linen or towels changed, it just doesn't make sense to me. Like many other hotels the Four Points offers such a program to waiver daily change of bed linen and towels, which I availed of. However, my room was cleaned only once during the 5 days I stayed and this was only after I asked the lady at reception if someone could clean my room. I'd like to add that this request was not met with much emotion of any sort. On checking out I think staff should always, always ask the customer how their stay was-evidently the staff weren't concerned about this upon my checkout. Overall this is a shame as the concierge was a true gentleman.

Other than that the hotel is clean and modern, with a copy of the Globe and Mail left outside your room every morning. If you avail of the Starwood Preferred Guests program you can gain extra points by waiving the change of your bed linen and towels.

The gym is comfortable in size and boasts modern equipment, I didn't use the pool during my stay so I can't comment here. To get a view of the harbor ask for a room on the fifth floor, I had a room on the second floor which more or less looked onto the Marriot (which is where I stayed the week after and had a far superior experience).

I didn't eat the restaurant associated with the Four Points, and it's not very accessible-you have to find your way through the building out through a concourse to track down breakfast or dinner.

Overall I would only be returning to the Four Points, business or not as a last resort.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Kowalski19
jodysampsonRDM, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Halifax, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and concerns on your most recent stay with us. It is unfortunate that we did not have an opportunity to address these concerns on property with you. The Make a Green Choice program is available to allow our guests the opportunity to make environmentally friendly choices by declining housekeeping service. It is the hotels policy to clean the room and change the bedding every three days under this program.
We have a very strong guest service team but it seems you were not given the opportunity to voice your concerns upon checkout, which we do apologize for,
We hope you will not judge us solely on this experience and we will have another opportunity to welcome you back to Halifax.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Korean first
Mississauga
Reviewed 27 January 2013 via mobile

This hotel is nicely located near the harbour and is very close to most shopping. The room I stayed in was clean, quiet and I had a glorious sleep in the cozy blankets and soft mattress they provide. My room had a view of the water, which was nice. The staff here went above and beyond as I was expecting a package to arrive at the front desk, as soon as it arrived they called me to let me know. I needed some extra pens for a business meeting and they were more than happy to provide me with pens. My only complaint is that no one helped me with my luggage. I had to borrow their trolley, wheel it out to my car and return it to the front lobby when finished. As a single woman travelling alone it would have been a nice touch to have someone help me with my heavy luggage. On the bright side the parking was underground and heated, very nice on such cold days (-15C). Directly across the street is Spirit Spa, a nice oasis during a busy week. A short walk away is Pete's, a wonderful food market or The Bicycle Thief, a trendy restaurant and bar with great food and drink. I would definitely stay here again, next time when it's warmer!

• Stayed January 2013
Stanhope, Canada
Reviewed 25 January 2013

The staff are friendly; lobby is modern/clean. Underground heated parking is a plus. But the rooms obviously received a recent quick/dirty/cheap facelift. Peeling wallpaper, dirty bathroom grout, Walmart-type decor. But, VERY comfy beds.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank tommypei
jodysampsonRDM, Front Office Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Halifax, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Four Points by Sheraton Halifax. The Make a Green Choice program is designed to allow our guests to help the Four Points be an environmentally friendly hotel. Our policy is to clean a guest's room every three days when they participate in the program.
We take pride in our team at the Four Points and it is unfortunate to hear that the customer service you received was not at our standard. We hope to have a chance to welcome you back to the Four Points Halifax to experience our completed renovations this Spring and a chance to reclaim your confidence in our product and our team.
nyc
Reviewed 21 January 2013

We stayed here on a weekend night and it was very close to the waterfront which is where you want to be. The staff was really helpful and genuinely friendly at the front desk. The room was spacious and clean, it was a really good value compared to the much more expensive Westin which is just down the street. There was a loud concert going on in the waterfront which we went to the beginning of but turned in early and we couldn't barely hear it at all in our room which was great.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
jodysampsonRDM, Front Office Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Halifax, responded to this review, 22 January 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us in Halifax. We are proud of our team here in Halifax, and will pass on your wonderful experience to them all.
We are currently starting the second phase of our renovations. All of the washrooms will be updated to match the new look of our guestrooms, which we completed renovations on last year.
We hope to see you again in the near future.
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 1 January 2013

Stayed here to ring in the New Year in Halifax. The location is superb close to the waterfront, major restaurants and Barrington St and Spring Garden Road. The service was excellent and the hotel is very clean. We stayed on the top floor (6th) and our room was large and extremely quiet especially as it was New Year's Eve. Gorgeous bedding and very comfortable bed. Best rate for an expensive night in downtown Halifax.

Room Tip: Stay on the 6th floor and get room with King bed...best value.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed 29 December 2012

The Four Points was referred to us by a friend, and rarely have I stayed at such a nice hotel for such an affordable rate. I believe they are presently renovating; the hot tub was out of commission and the bathrooms were a little dated and tired (spacious though), but both of those elements are in line for an upcoming renovation. The bedrooms have already been done and were quite nice, with some of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept on. We'll be going back to Halifax again shortly and will choose the Four Points again for the beds and the unbeatable location.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
jodysampsonRDM, Front Office Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Halifax, responded to this review, 6 January 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay. We have just completed phase one of our renovations, which included: new flooring, beds, and vinyl. We will start phase two in early 2013, which will include: new washrooms, curtains, and hard goods.

We hope to see you back with us again to experience the new feel of the Four Points Halifax.
Toronto
Reviewed 15 December 2012

I stayed here earlier this year and my stay was mediocre. So, I was a bit hesitant when our team decided to stay at this hotel...but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the room and front desk service.

My room (6017) had a king bed (very comfortable), working desk with chair, and a sitting area complete with couch, chair, coffee table and ottoman. The bathroom was quite spacious, and the shower was equipped with the double shower heads you should normally see at the Westin. Very nice!

Service at the front desk was fast and efficient (better than my previous stay). Hotel is in a great location – close to the water, some great restaurants and shopping on Spring Garden Road.

I would recommend this hotel. Ask for the King room for a lot of comfortable space!

Happy travels!