“Not a very pleasant stay”

Four Points by Sheraton Halifax
Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We were not very happy with our recent weekend at the Four Points in Halifax. We booked a room with food vouchers that were not delivered to our room and had to call down several times to recieve them. Tried to use the dinner voucher in the restaurant hotel which turned out to be a wine bar with loud music and lots of people drinking. Not a place to take a child for dinner on a friday night. The service in the restaurant was terrible and the food was not great either.

The heating in the room did not work properly and it was constantly changing from hot to cold. We also had to have our room keys reprogrammed several times since they would stop working.

I would not recommend this hotel for your stay in Halifax.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Pryne
jodysampsonRDM, Front Office Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Halifax, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2013

Hi Pryne,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay with us. One of our Guest Service Supervisors should have been in contact with you recently to address your concerns.

Reviewed 18 February 2013

Wouldn't reccommend staying there. Housekeeping walked in our room twice without knocking, parking is a nightmare and the staff do not extend much friendliness to their guests. the 2 times we stayed there, the power was being shut off in the morning before checkout, and the rooms are nothing to get excited about. Four points? I think not.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JOJO8891
Reviewed 10 February 2013

If I'm only staying at a hotel for a few nights I don't want the bed linen or towels changed, it just doesn't make sense to me. Like many other hotels the Four Points offers such a program to waiver daily change of bed linen and towels, which I availed of. However, my room was cleaned only once during the 5 days I stayed and this was only after I asked the lady at reception if someone could clean my room. I'd like to add that this request was not met with much emotion of any sort. On checking out I think staff should always, always ask the customer how their stay was-evidently the staff weren't concerned about this upon my checkout. Overall this is a shame as the concierge was a true gentleman.

Other than that the hotel is clean and modern, with a copy of the Globe and Mail left outside your room every morning. If you avail of the Starwood Preferred Guests program you can gain extra points by waiving the change of your bed linen and towels.

The gym is comfortable in size and boasts modern equipment, I didn't use the pool during my stay so I can't comment here. To get a view of the harbor ask for a room on the fifth floor, I had a room on the second floor which more or less looked onto the Marriot (which is where I stayed the week after and had a far superior experience).

I didn't eat the restaurant associated with the Four Points, and it's not very accessible-you have to find your way through the building out through a concourse to track down breakfast or dinner.

Overall I would only be returning to the Four Points, business or not as a last resort.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Kowalski19
jodysampsonRDM, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Halifax, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and concerns on your most recent stay with us. It is unfortunate that we did not have an opportunity to address these concerns on property with you. The Make a Green Choice program is available to allow our guests the opportunity to make environmentally friendly choices by declining housekeeping service. It is the hotels policy to clean the room and change the bedding every three days under this program.
We have a very strong guest service team but it seems you were not given the opportunity to voice your concerns upon checkout, which we do apologize for,
We hope you will not judge us solely on this experience and we will have another opportunity to welcome you back to Halifax.

Reviewed 27 January 2013 via mobile

This hotel is nicely located near the harbour and is very close to most shopping. The room I stayed in was clean, quiet and I had a glorious sleep in the cozy blankets and soft mattress they provide. My room had a view of the water, which was nice. The staff here went above and beyond as I was expecting a package to arrive at the front desk, as soon as it arrived they called me to let me know. I needed some extra pens for a business meeting and they were more than happy to provide me with pens. My only complaint is that no one helped me with my luggage. I had to borrow their trolley, wheel it out to my car and return it to the front lobby when finished. As a single woman travelling alone it would have been a nice touch to have someone help me with my heavy luggage. On the bright side the parking was underground and heated, very nice on such cold days (-15C). Directly across the street is Spirit Spa, a nice oasis during a busy week. A short walk away is Pete's, a wonderful food market or The Bicycle Thief, a trendy restaurant and bar with great food and drink. I would definitely stay here again, next time when it's warmer!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 25 January 2013

The staff are friendly; lobby is modern/clean. Underground heated parking is a plus. But the rooms obviously received a recent quick/dirty/cheap facelift. Peeling wallpaper, dirty bathroom grout, Walmart-type decor. But, VERY comfy beds.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank tommypei
jodysampsonRDM, Front Office Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Halifax, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Four Points by Sheraton Halifax. The Make a Green Choice program is designed to allow our guests to help the Four Points be an environmentally friendly hotel. Our policy is to clean a guest's room every three days when they participate in the program.
We take pride in our team at the Four Points and it is unfortunate to hear that the customer service you received was not at our standard. We hope to have a chance to welcome you back to the Four Points Halifax to experience our completed renovations this Spring and a chance to reclaim your confidence in our product and our team.

Reviewed 21 January 2013

We stayed here on a weekend night and it was very close to the waterfront which is where you want to be. The staff was really helpful and genuinely friendly at the front desk. The room was spacious and clean, it was a really good value compared to the much more expensive Westin which is just down the street. There was a loud concert going on in the waterfront which we went to the beginning of but turned in early and we couldn't barely hear it at all in our room which was great.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
jodysampsonRDM, Front Office Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Halifax, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2013

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us in Halifax. We are proud of our team here in Halifax, and will pass on your wonderful experience to them all.
We are currently starting the second phase of our renovations. All of the washrooms will be updated to match the new look of our guestrooms, which we completed renovations on last year.
We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 1 January 2013

Stayed here to ring in the New Year in Halifax. The location is superb close to the waterfront, major restaurants and Barrington St and Spring Garden Road. The service was excellent and the hotel is very clean. We stayed on the top floor (6th) and our room was large and extremely quiet especially as it was New Year's Eve. Gorgeous bedding and very comfortable bed. Best rate for an expensive night in downtown Halifax.

Room Tip: Stay on the 6th floor and get room with King bed...best value.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple