“Nice, business style hotel”

Four Points by Sheraton Halifax
Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed 27 September 2005

We stayed at the Four Points Sheraton for one night. The hotel was clean and the room and bathroom were generous in size. The staff was pleasant and helpful with suggestions for drinks and dinner. However, the overall environment was sterile. I would recommend the hotel for business travel but it would not be my choice for a vacation stay.

• Stayed: September 2005
4  Thank 05

Reviewed 25 September 2005

This is probably one of the best Four Points in the world. The rooms are large, spacious, clean, and have the new Four Points beds (similar to the Westin Heavenly Bed). There is free high speed internet and they supply the RJ45 cable. The air conditioning was more than adequate and service was great.

The hotel's restaurant is a bit of a walk since you have to go up to the 2nd floor, through the mall, and up an esalator. Once you're in the mall, there are some great food deals in the food court.

As the previous poster has mentioned, there is construction going on outside the hotel but it reverberates throughout the entire hotel, regardless of what floor you're on. It starts from 7 am and goes to 6 pm. There are "info" sheets at check in and in the elevator but there is no mention when booking. In fact, our business meeting was in the ground floor but the noise was so unbearable that we moved it.

To the benefit of Four Points, the construction has nothing to do with them. However, if you want to check out early, they have a 50% charge.

• Stayed: September 2005, travelled on business
6  Thank Braindrain
Reviewed 24 September 2005

We stayed at the Four Points in Halifax for 3 nights ...and loved it! It was so ideally situated for all the things we were interested in doing... It was an easy walk (even on our 60 year old legs) to pubs, restaurants, the harbour activities, attractions (Alexander Keith's Brewery, tour kiosks, Pier 21, shopping on Spring Garden street).
The rooms were very clean and modern, and (as advertised)...the bed was oh, so comfortable! The hotel restaraunt (The Niche) was fabulous. The hotel staff was helpful and pleasant. This hotel is not too large...very relaxed atmosphere and easy to get around. We found its size much nicer than some of the huge hotels, where walking to your room or the elevator is a tiring chore. Getting from the parking garage to the lobby was the easiest we've ever encountered!
As mentioned in another review, there is construction going on and the noise might bother someone who is planning on sleeping in. For us, it was no problem, since we were up early anyway.
I would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: September 2005
5  Thank wed66
Reviewed 21 September 2005

The rooms are good and the staff friendly. However, I was woken up at 7am Friday 16th September (and all subsequent weekdays) by the sound of major construction work outside. The hotel did not inform me of this on confirmation of my booking, nor on checking in and I had no idea until I was woken up by the racket. When I complained, the frontdesk stated that they had put A4 notes in the elevator to warn guests of the work.

To be fair, the construction work is nothing to do with the hotel, but it starts at 7am every morning except weekends - and it is major noise that penetrates the double glazing. I think that the hotel should have warned me before I checked in and although I complained on the first morning and on checking out, they would not give me any compensation. Unfortunately, I couldn't move out as other hotels in the vicinity were fully booked due to the film festival. From the size of the works I'd say there may be several more months noise - check before booking.

• Stayed: September 2005, travelled on business
11  Thank UKSMF
Reviewed 11 September 2005

Great hotel in all aspects. Excellent service and concierge. Superior rooms. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2005
3  Thank RyanFromCanada
Reviewed 26 August 2005

It's a nice enough hotel: good location, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with the room or service. The room was large and nicely done. Even so, the place seemed cold and impersonal. I arrived by car and it was a bit of a puzzle what to do. I ended up parking illegally while I registered. The parking garage in an ugly urban mess, more part of the adjoining complex to which the hotel is also attached. It was functional and serviceable even if my car was covered with lint from the laundry the next morning. I know that's a petty little quibble. I also found the elevator quite annoying for no special reason. I just didn't like it.

I should have expected a city hotel to charge extra for parking. I've been around. Even so, it was an unwelcome surprise.

The restaurant is over the hill and through the woods - also a bit of a puzzle. Very nice but totally empty early Sunday morning.

My funny quibbles aside, this is a good hotel. My room was large and everything was in proper working order. They have free WiFi internet access, good TV, nice work area, and that heavenly bed Sheraton inherited from sibling Westin. What's not to like? I'm in the club, too. I got my points!

For some reason, I didn't like it. Maybe it was my mood. This is a great business hotel. Maybe I wanted a bit more adventure? A bit of funkiness?

I did the video check out and ended up trapped in the parking lot. I had to park and go inside to get a card so I could escape. One more small annoyance.

The Sheration Four Points in Halifax is utterly dependable, clean, safe, and pleasant. The room was large and comfortable. It had everything I needed. I recommend it highly.

It wasn't what I needed that week. I slept well, enjoyed Halifax and was happy to check out.

• Stayed: August 2005
7  Thank Tom_Morgan
Reviewed 22 August 2005

Our family of four stayed at the Four Points Halifax during the first leg of our Maritimes tour this August. We arrived by train, and walked the three blocks to the hotel. It is very convenient when arriving by train, and a better value than the Westin located in the station itself. However, I would recommend splurging the cab fare (about $4) if you have a lot of bags or are not in shape, as it is an uphill walk.
The hotel itself is very nice. It is new, only about 2-3 years old. The concierge staff was very friendly and pointed out some things to do with our evening. Check in was a breeze.
The rooms are also excellent. Very well kept, and featuring views of Halifax harbour or the upgraded Alliant building courtyard, all are pleasant. Their special "comfort sleeper" beds are also superb, and the duvet covers made it feel like home.
The pool is rather small and noisy when a couple of kids get in it, but it's OK for a dip, and there's a hot tub nearby. The gym is well equipped.
Currently, there is construction tearing up the adjacent street as well, but it never bothered us.
The hotel has an excellent location. We walked to the harbour, Pier 21, the Citadel and through downtown, without touching our rental car once.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Halifax, and would love to return myself!

• Stayed: August 2005