“A good day out in the Halifax region”
Review of Bruce's Tours

US$130.19*
Small Group Local Libations Tour
Ranked #18 of 49 Tours in Halifax
More attraction details
Owner description: Bruce's Tours is an independant van tour company operated by Bruce Cochrane. Please email Bruce to discuss your vacation wishes. He has planned tours but is extremely flexible to take you to wherever you wish while you are in Nova Scotia.
Greater Sydney, Australia
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“A good day out in the Halifax region”
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Together with another couple on the same cruise we were looking to cover the maximum amount of things to see in the Halifax area in the 6.5 available hours our ship was in port. Prior to the cruise the other couple had located Bruces’ Tours from Halifax who offered a 7.5 hour tour, but Bruce offered to cut it down a bit for us so that we could still get out of Halifax to see some of the scenery in the surrounding region, provided also that we had lunch ‘on-the-go’ which was acceptable to us.

Bruce was easy to communicate with to pre-organise this and his rate for the trip quite acceptable for four people sharing. He met us on the dock at Halifax and escorted us to his Chevrolet 7 seater van which is also a taxi. Our route for the day was explained to us and we were soon on our way. Bottled water was provided to each of us by Bruce. The van was very well presented, clean and comfortable. Bruce also proved to be a very good guide being quite knowledgeable of the region.

First we were shown the highlights of Halifax, including the Titanic burial site. I admit that I would have been prepared to forgo the Titanic bit, but it turned out to be very informative and moving. We then headed to Lunenburg and the almost hour long drive along the highway a bit boring, although to me it is always lovely to see lush woodland.

Lunenburg was a very quaint fishing village, with extremely narrow streets, but quite lovely. The views over the water were very lovely as were many of the original buildings to be seen. Then we went on to Mahone Bay and the views around the lakes along this whole section of the drive were very lovely. Mahone Bay has a far more modern buildings, and again the views over the water were great. We stopped for lunch at a small store in Mahone Bay where the range of foods to take-away was great. None of your fast food here, just good sandwiches, cakes and tarts, all very nice.

The drive continued around the water with descriptions from Bruce about the ‘mystery’ of Oak Island, then through some other very lovely little villages on the water to Peggys Cove. This place was very lovely and the very rocky region quite a contrast to the shores of the lakes and coves previously seen. Back to Halifax in time for the cruise departure after a truly lovely day.

Our tour was of necessity a bit more rushed than the usual tour of these locations, but none of us had any problem with ‘eating-on-the-go’ to fit it all in. I would highly recommend this tour by Bruce as a great opportunity to see some wonderful scenery with a good guide. However Bruce does not go out of his way to relate to his guests, and he could certainly improve his personal skills a little bit in that regard.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank Frommy

AR
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“A wonderful day with BrucesTours.ca Halifax & Peggys Cove”
Reviewed 5 October 2011

We arrived in Halifax by cruise ship. Had arranged the "Halifax & Peggys Cove" tour with Bruce. As soon as we entered the cruise terminal, there was Bruice holding up a sign with my name on it. Bruce on seeing me in my power chair was concerned because his mini-van is not accessible. I told Bruce that I would walk to his mini-van with my cane and leave my power chair in the terminal. Bruce talked to the terminal security people about watching my chair then brought his mini-van to the front of the terminal, reducing my walk.

That was how the entire day went, personalized service from start to end.

The 5 hour tour was over 6 hours long. We had 5 people in our party and all had a great time. The 2 people way in the back did require some extra climbing effort to get in and out. When my sister asked about a bathroom, Bruce said we would have a break in 2 minutes, not sure it was that long; try that on a big bus tour.

We visited spots that a big tour bus could not go. Never rushed, always informative and friendly.

Halifax - 2 hours
Tour includes a stop at a cemetary with a major Titanic tradgedy connection, plus Historic Downtown Halifax and other interesting areas. Guests can request stops of interest during the tour.
Peggys Cove - 3 hours
At the entrance to St. Margaret's Bay is the village of Peggys Cove. It is a working fishery village, a famous tourist attraction, and one of the most photographed locations in Canada.
At Peggys Point there has been a lighthouse since 1868, the present lighthouse was built in 1915 and has Canada's only post office in a lighthouse.
A famous resident of Peggys Cove was William de Garthe, an artist and sculptor. He created a 30m/100' carving in the granite out-crop in his yard that took ten years and depicts the fishery and the legendary Peggy-of-the-Cove.
Nearby is a memorial to the deaths from an airline tragedy in 1998 in which all 229 passengers and crew died.
Peggys Cove is fifty to sixty minute travel from Halifax. Time at Peggys Cove is approximately sixty minutes. While at Peggys Cove will have time on your own and we may visit some other points on interest (time permiting).

Visited September 2011