“Go across the street”

Neighbourhood: Downtown Halifax
Trenton, Canada
“Go across the street”
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Meh. I had high hopes for this addition to the Blowers Street area after hearing friends from the Toronto area rave about it. But after three attempts I am not blown away. I can understand how it is popular with the huge amount of options to top your poutine. On all three occasions I tried Smoke's there was a similar issue. There is never enough gravy/cheese. Inevitably the bottom fries always end up dry and sad. Also the gravy just wasn't that great. On one occasion my fries weren't even cooked. When I took it back and got a new order... the fries weren't cooked. It was like they hadn't quite trained their staff.

If you like classic poutine do yourself a favour and go to Willy's.

• Visited March 2013

Halifax, Canada
“Excellent Poutine: Classic or Neo”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Tastes vary, but Smoke's, chain or not, sits atop a solid foundation of poutine greatness.

Belgian fry prep technique; blanched, then finished at a higher temp. Flavourful sauce brun and really fresh curds check off the boxes well enough to satisfy most any purist. (A true purist would even eschew ketchup.) For the classicist, the fine details of these basics are always a great way to start an argument. Come out swinging if you like.

From there, take your pick of numerous toppings... If they don't have it, you probably don't want it.

I don't want it. I always go straight up. But hey, go for it folks!

It's often like a little poutine party in there late-night.

• Visited June 2013
“Mmmmm... bacon”
Reviewed 2 May 2013

I'm a bacon lover, so bacon on bacon on bacon is the way to go.
I picked up the bacon poutine, which is a traditional poutine with bacon in it.
Nothing extreme, or fancy but just what I needed.

The selection is great, the portions are huge, the price isn't THAT bad in comparison to other places and the service.. well, it was mediocre but that's ok because I didn't go there for that, I went for fast food.

And it was fast.
Served in under 5 minutes, I was in and out of there in no time.

Will go back again sometime

• Visited May 2013
Charlottetown, Canada
“A disappointment”
Reviewed 17 March 2013

This is one of those spots everyone seems to be talking about - and you know you have to try it for yourself. Hmmmm...still trying to figure out this one. I'm thinking it must be a trend that will soon tire. It's a cute enough place, and it is near downtown shopping, so it's easy to drop in. Portion sizes are large, so bring your appetite. The positives end there, unfortunately. The food itself, is just not that great. While yes, there is a wide selection, the gravy, the important part of the poutine, is artificial tasting and salty and a few bites of this were all I wanted, leaving me feel pretty queasy. And the long waits (due to its trendiness, no doubt) didn't improve things, as did the prices, which we both found steep. Tried it once, won't try it again. Thanks, but no thanks.

• Visited February 2013
“Mean Poutine”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I arrived at 11:00 a.m. for my long awaited lunch and must have been their first customer for the day. I ordered the Nacho Grande which only took two minutes max. Huge portion and very filling...not to mention loaded with toppings and flavour. I was very impressed with the interior decor which reminded me of an American chain versus a Canadian chain since it was so we'll put together (sorry Canada). Very clean. Easy to read menu board. Eleven something for lunch and a rootbeer. I will be definitely going back. Smokes is located beside the infamous Pizza Corner in downtown Halifax which is perfect for people craving something other then.....well pizza. Also a new ice cream shop (Yeh) has also opened their doors at the same corner. Poutine and ice cream..mmmmm.

• Visited March 2013