“Getting a lot for a cheap room rate”
Review of Commons Inn

Commons Inn
Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed 3 August 2011

We stayed four nights at the Commons Inn in Halifax. It's the 2nd cheapest hotel in town. We stayed first three nights in a Deluxe room. Everything was all right : flat screen tv, micro wave, fridge, coffee maker. Parking and continental breakfast are included. Only one thing to respect : have the room made before three o'clock or it won't be done. Anyway, this happened to us (leave the room after three) and when i went to the desk to say the room hadn't been done, the clerk brought new towels etc... They don't change the sheets everyday not even every three days but they are so friendly (Russel and Michael), helping you with your visit of the city, your trip in Nova Scotia and whatever you can ask them that the lack of service sometime is easely forgotten. So, one has to take in consideration the fact that one cannot easely get a 5 stars service for a (well deserved) 3 stars hotel. The cost is unbelivably cheaper than what charge the other hotels in Halifax.
There is maybe the site and the walking distance to the heart of the city that are a minus. It's easely compensated if you have a car.
We came back to the hotel for our last night in Nova Scotia. Russel gave us the only suite of the hotel. What should I say then ? Its a good good good bargain. (and a 10 per cent discount if you stay more than two nights). Written and translated from my French language orientated mind. Francoise H.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank francoiseh

Reviewed 26 July 2011

This is not a 5-star luxury hotel with hoity-toity amenities. But this is a great little inn centrally located with amazing customer service in a world where that seems to be lacking.

Pros: great location--literally 5-10 minutes near Citadel and about 15 minutes to downtown/boardwalk; we loved the colorful houses in the nearby neighborhoods. Great free breakfast (toast, pastries, fruit, pb, jelly/jam, butter, 3 kinds of cereal, juice, milk, coffee, tea--trust me it fill you up!), two upstairs patios, clean, simple rooms that come with clean bathrooms, comfortable beds, great-working a/c, microwave and mini fridge, and a staff so ready to help you. All of this at a very affordable price for those of us who seek adventure on a budget. Hotel is completely NON-smoking!

Cons: no elevator = lots of stairs, central location does require a walk back UPHILL almost the entire way from downtown (but such a lovely walk), not a huge selection of restaurants in close proximity (but there are some!). Bathroom only had a shower with no tub (if that matters to you). And, yes, there is a unique smell to the room which I always equate with old house smell.

Although this is not a perfect little inn, I am giving it 5 stars for the value and location. I plan to come back to Halifax and I will be staying with the Commons Inn again!

Room Tip: If you are up to it, ask for rooms on top floor = quiet!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LadyWanderLust
Reviewed 1 June 2011

Stayed here while attending a conference and had no real dramas whatsoever. I chose to stay here because the price was very cheap and I was a last minute booking for my trip. The place is a bit of a quaint old looking joint with not a lot of frills. There was nothing fancy but everything was quite nice. Bed was comfy, bathroom was clean, TV was nice, continental breakfast was quite nice if not a little minimal. The internet was free and quick, which was nice to allow me to Skype back home to Australia.

The front desk folks were friendly and let me store my bags in their office when I arrived a few hours before check-in.

The only downside I would highlight is that you are a bit of a walk to the downtown area and all the bars/restaurants and other happenings. I am a fast walker and you will not make it to central downtown in less than 15 minutes. If you aren't overly fit, maybe try to score a hotel somewhere closer to town.

I'd recommend the Commons Inn if you are on a budget and aren't super picky.

Some of the other reviews which mention that the hotel is in a sketchy area must not have actually ever been to a sketchy area. Sure, it's not in the flashiest part of town, but it seemed really quite quiet and peaceful to me. I had no dramas when walking around, even quite late at night. If you're the sort of person that is scared witless when a homeless dude asks you for change, then maybe you shouldn't be travelling.

Room Tip: The rooms on the higher up levels seem to be best.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank latemail
Reviewed 11 April 2011

Great rate, very pleased! The room was decorated nicely, and featured a beautiful piece of antique furniture. The room could use a fresh coat of paint, but otherwise was very clean and cozy. Jacuzzi bathtub was nice! The continental breakfast was good. Very friendly and helpful staff. and the Inn was very close to downtown. We will be back! Really enjoyed our stay in Halifax. :)

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2010

My room was very clean and cozy. No bedbugs! ( I checked, I'm from Toronto lol)
Great rate, my room had Air conditioning/fridge/microwave. Also the hotel was within walking distance to downtown. I will stay next time I am in town on business. Would recommend.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 September 2010

I travel for work, usually in large hotels. For this personal trip, I wanted something smaller, more human - and I found it. From the first call, I felt the personal, homey touch - straight forward helpful info, given with a nice touch by Jeffrey. The hotel itself: the lobby looks European (small, cozy) and my room was simple, clean and comfortable, with a small fridge & microwave too. I arrived a bit early, and the staff made sure my room was ready. The continental breakfast had good choices, and was much better than in any of the larger hotels. Definitely where I'll stay again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 August 2010

Commons Inn, named in reference to the city's central public park nearby, was built at the spot of the former King Edward Inn in 1988. New ownership since 2003 made improvements with effective (though not quiet) air conditioners in ea. room--to deal with Halifax's humidity; plumbing upgrades; new beds, and building expansion. The inn retains its traditional English decor with the provision of simple basic needs (clean linens, TV, fridge and microwave on request, Jergens soaps, Pantene shampoo) and very dedicated staff. Room doors offer keyed entry with chain lock. Breakfast in summer was 5 servings of fruit, various homemade muffins, toast, cereal and hot/cold beverages. A loose toiletpaper holder was fixed without questions during my family's stay. To get downtown, a walk along the length of Commons park on Agricola and heading downhill past the armouries at the Citadel took approx. 15 minutes. An award winning restaurant (Jane's on Commons) is a 5-7 minute walk near West and Robie. Commons Inn is good value for budget travelers. Though the area wasn't busy, for light sleepers, I would suggest requesting a room away from Agricola Street.

• Stayed: August 2010