“Great alternative”
Review of Commons Inn

Commons Inn
Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed 8 October 2012

The hotel is pretty old but still in great shape. I missed not having a desk in my room, but I liked being on the forth floor with some extra windows, so I didn't ask to be moved. The free parking is nice, because it seems to be at a premium in Halifax. I liked the fact that I didn't have any wifi problems. the hotel is close to downtown.

The continental breakfast could be improved by adding a few easy items, and coffee in the room would've been nice.

Jane's on the Common was a great restaurant nearby but I hear its closing soon.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Commons Inn

Reviewed 27 September 2012

We have stayed here three times and are quite pleased with this hotel. Yes, it is old and quirky but that adds to it's charm. It is not the Holiday Inn, nor is it priced as such. The price is quite steep, but so are all of the other hotels in Halifax. When I am travelling I look for places that are locally owned and will expose me to more of the local culture, the Commons Inn certainly fits that bill. Staff is very helpful and accommodating. Our rooms have always been satisfactory and clean. Breakfast is the standard continental breakfast fare with the exception of a large bowl of recently cut fruit. We have had truly enjoyed the variety of travelers that we have met in that breakfast room. So, if you are not looking for a cookie-cutter experience, give the Commons Inn a try.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new part.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Balancing price, location, and quality this is a good place to stay, within walking distance of many of the sites: the Citadel, Public Garden, and the Halifax harbor. There is no elevator, but there is free parking. The staff were helpful. We turn on the AC fan to block out any street noise and slept quite well.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank John L
Reviewed 25 September 2012

A bit of a maze as you climb the stairs to your room. Loud drunken guests slammed doors way past 2 a.m. (Monday night) as they came and left their room across the hallway from ours. This place felt more like a hostel. Rooms were not cleaned each day nor was the bed made. Breakfast was just enough to get you on your way with either a muffin, toast or yogurt and juice.
Had the regular hotel rooms in Halifax not been so expensive ($200 +/night) we would have never looked twice at this place. Next time we will stay outside the city and commute for the couple of tourist attractions worth seeing..
Try Cousins Bistro across the street for a good home cooked breakfast lunch or dinner. Prices were very reasonable.

Room Tip: Don't bother unless you are on a tight budget and willing to accept the less than clean conditio...
Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2012

We were fooled by looking at the website of this motel. i can not emphasize enough what type of facility this is. Dirty, run down, MOUSE DROPPINGS, etc.. We checked into our room and quickly decided we could not stay. i would emphasize that we are not people that are bothered by things that are not quite up to standard but this place is way beyond a place you want to lay your head down. Management really needs to get out of this business and consider being a boarding house. i suspect they are hanging on for the boom that will hit Haifax when the ships start to be built hanging their hat on the fact their will likely be a room shortage and it people will settle for whatever is available. i say again do not stay in this hotel! If their is a postive review on this website is would have to have been written by hotel staff. To make matters worse the manager would not consider a refund. STAY AWAY FROM THE COMMONS INN.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank charles j
Reviewed 15 September 2012

This hotel was not clean. That is my biggest beef! The beds seemed okay but there was dirt on baseboards in the bathroom and the bath was not clean and for the three nights we stayed there, the place was not vacuumed. Stand anything but dirt! Breakfast, yes, unimaginative. Flowers in baskets half dead and general feeling of neglect. No coffee maker. As well, it was too far away from most of the sites.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I recently stayed here for a night. The staff were all really pleasant and happy to help with anything I needed. I found the location to be pretty good, it's a 15-20 minute walk to downtown Halifax but there is lots to see along the way! The bed was great and the hotel room was a pretty good size for myself. I didn't realize that there wasn't an elevator so I did have to carry things upstairs. It looked like there was a little bit of work needed in the bathroom, mainly the floor, but that and the lack of elevator were really the only downsides. I would definitely stay here again if I am back in the Halifax area.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo