“A nice place to stay!”
Review of Commons Inn

Commons Inn
Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed 11 July 2014

It was great - only reason for giving a 'very good' instead of 'excellent' is we were told by staff we would be able to see the harbour July 1st fireworks from the rooftop terrace. This info was incorrect.

Otherwise it was a great location, large room - clean, bed was comfortable (pillows were a shade hard for my liking, but not rock hard), water pressure was good, towels were nice an soft (not sandpapery) ourbags were carried up to the top floor for us, breakfast was plentiful and there was free parking. All in all a good night stay.

Room Tip: There are a lot of stairs so if you have problems with carrying bags, perhaps request a lower floor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We are just checking out this morning (June 26), and just had to let everyone know what a fine place the Commons is for a Halifax stay. Large, clean, spacious rooms, large bathroom (we even had the tub with the jets.......ask for #311....), free parking, free breakfast (toast, muffins, fruit, coffee, tea, cereal, yogurt, oatmeal), friendly and helpful staff...what more could you really ask for at any place?? And then, when you consider the VERY reasonable price, we couldn't imagine why anyone would want to shell out substantially more to stay at a generic "name" hotel chain where you could be in any city anywhere in the world.
When we return to Halifax, this will be the first place we look for.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Good choice! The Commons has been nicely decorated, inside and out, and gave us a very good value stay. After our first night we booked another. Staff keen to help and ready to put themselves out. Comfortable rooms, without pretentions. 10 minutes walk to the Citadel, 20 to main shopping, probably 25 to the waterfront. Free off-street parking. The area looks a bit sad in places, but just watch it get smart and trendy in the next couple of years! There are some great new eating and drinking places already moved in along Agricola Street. Minor negatives: unexciting continental breakfast; no lift; no coffee/tea making in room (we English need our tea!) ... but the staff happily delivered a kettle, tea, coffee and mugs to our room … so another plus! (They responded immediately and helpfully to an e-mail request, from England, about a missing phone. We were impressed and grateful. Nice open, Commons Inn!).

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Rooms are clean and spacious. Staff was lovely, and helpful... right down to booking cabs and storing luggage.
The unbelievable feature is two massive rooftop decks flanking both sides of the Inn! You can enjoy your morning coffee on 1000+ square ' deck. located in a cool area (urban chic) and a walk away from downtown.(7-10min)
What a great find!! This quaint inn is going to be my Halifax go to from now on.

Room Tip: prefer top floor beside rooftop deck
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sharon H
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I found this great little hotel in Halifax for about 1/2 the price of other hotels. The price included parking and a nice continental breakfast. You could walk to the waterfront, but it would be quite a hike, maybe 30 to 45 minutes. It doesn't have a gym, or a pool, but that's ok. I never use those things in hotels. The staff is very nice and they don't put up with noise from other guests. The bed was comfortable, the room was clean. It was a great location in general. I would definately go back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank minusbasin
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Overall, I was pleased with my stay, just a couple cons (And not really negative ones.), but more pros than anything else.
I volunteered for Hal-Con, so I wasn't in my hotel room a lot of the day, but I did take the time to explore around the place and I was happy.

There is no elevator so beware of that if you (or someone you're travelling with has mobility issues, request the bottom floor.) However, I didn't mind going up the stairs to my top floor room.

The top floor patios are fantastic! ... The ashtrays could be emptied however.

The room was clean to standard - except around the dressers bottom edges was a little dusty and one outlet cover was wiggly. A downside was the room didn't seem to have a trash bin, so I ended up using a plastic bag I had for trash. (Wasn't really a big deal to me; might be to someone else.)

Fridge and microwave clean & working properly

Comfortable and clean bed - very much enjoyed.

The washroom was very modern and just like new, complimentary soap, shampoo and conditioner. Very clean & very nice!

I feel as if i cannot rate the service properly, I only spoke with someone at the front-desk upon check in & check out. But both men were very polite.

Value very fair I would say, I was pleased with what I got for what I paid for.

Breakfast I only tried one morning, (Didn't have time.) the coffee and muffins were delicious.

The location was pretty perfect for myself, personally speaking.

I would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: The top floor has patios for smokers, so if you don't have mobility problems (getting up the sta...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 September 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Nadezda K