“Good food and service” 4 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Waitstaff
Nova Scotia
“Good food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Great place for lunch or dinner, and they do brunch as well. I like their lunch menu in particular. Small restaurant and a bit crowded but worth it. Good value and have never had a bad experience on the several occasions I have eaten there.

Visited February 2014

Halifax, Canada
“Great place in the Hydrostone market”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

Have been here several times now and always enjoy coming back. Great location, in the Hydrostone market, with lots of food choices and excellent service. A bit on the smallish side, we always try to get one of the two tables up front with a street view. Last night we started with caesar salads and my wife opted for Arctic Char while I had the Pork Tenderloin. Both were excellent. Service was fantastic a la Jesse who was both friendly and knowledgeable and suggested a terrific red wine to compliment things. Price was excellent too!!

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Great location, okay decor, good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

We moved to Halifax 2 wks ago. Last Wednesday we de ided to go out for dinner. The Hydrostone area is a real nice area where its quiet, beautiful green space, nice trees and welll decorated buildings. We stopped at the restaurant on Young st. Its own by the same person who owns two other resto just beside. Anyway we got in and the rest is history.
Location: well located for people who knows the area. Tourists would find this place only if they decide to visit Hydrostone area.
Exterior signage: it's a small sign with Little Europe. The menu was in the window. Its okay easy to find
Interior: a bit dissapointing,,, you open the main door and you hit a brown curtain .. Interior is okay decorated, vieillaux style, peeling paint on the wall, items to decorate. Its not bad...
Menu: focus on local ingredients, pasta and good food. Nothing prepared in advance. All fresh ingredients.
Price: we had water, appetizer that we shared and main course... 55$. Not bad, remember this is in a very nice section of the north end and food was very good
Service: the waitress was awesome, came to see us many times, very good service
I would reco that you try this place, good food, good location and good service.
Great experience
G

Visited July 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“Cozy little spot tucked into the Hydrostone Market”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

On a recent trip home to Halifax, I met a childhood friend for a Monday lunch at the Little Europe Bistro in the Hydrostone Market in the city’s north end. Since both of us now live elsewhere, the Little Europe has become our traditional meeting spot when we are able to coordinate our trips home because of its cozy atmosphere, friendly service, and good food. Its menu has a heavy Greek influence but does represent several regions of European cuisine. On this visit, we managed to snag one of the two tables-for-two that are set up in the semi-partitioned area near the front windows. There is a heavy drape behind one table that divides it from the restaurant’s main entrance. The restaurant offers a well-stocked bar but, it being lunch and my friend being pregnant kept us to sparkling water for our drinks. Our young server stopped by a couple of times before we were ready to order because we were too busy catching up to look at the menu. Thankfully, he didn’t seem to mind. The menu offers a lot of choice and everything that we have tried has been good. That said, it seems that we often go back to our favourites. For that reason, we started with the appetizer-size of the Honey Chicken Pecan salad which includes shreds of chicken, thin slices of red onion, mandarin orange segments, and candied nuts on a pile of lettuce in a citrus dressing. On this visit, I ordered the seafood risotto as my main dish. It came served in a bowl with the creamy rice piled in the centre, surrounded by about ten open mussel shells and topped with three grilled shrimp and the same number of scallops. When the bowl was placed in front of me it had a fishy smell, which is not typically a good sign when ordering fresh seafood, so I dug in skeptically and was pleased to find that everything tasted just fine. I liked that the shrimp were fully shelled (as I hate digging around in creamy dishes to remove the little tail bits) but would have preferred it if they had been sautéed rather than grilled, as their exterior was a bit dry. On previous visits, I have always alternated between the beer-battered fish and chips and the white-meat quarter chicken dinner with fries, both of which are very good. That said, I am happy to have now added a third dish to my rotation! My friend makes it back to Halifax less often these days, so she stuck with an old favourite and ordered the Chicken and Asparagus, which is a penne pasta dish with a creamy Dijon mustard sauce. Although she enjoyed it and said the flavour was exactly as she had remembered it, she did say that the texture was a bit off, like perhaps the dish, or at least some of its components, had been sitting under a heat lamp and gotten a bit crusty around the edges. The waiter assured us that was not the case but said that he would report the issue to the kitchen staff, just in case. My all-time favourite of their desserts, a square of creamy confection in a pan, was apparently not available (at least not in the glass display case at the entrance) and I was full from my two-course lunch anyway, so we just wound down our meal with cups of freshly-made decaffeinated coffee before realizing that two hours had passed and we had to dash back to our parked cars in a drizzle of light rain. (The on-street parking time limits are strictly enforced, and some are limited to one hour and others to two hours. Quite a few cars that I passed on the way back to mine had already received parking tickets that day, so it’s a good idea to keep an eye on the time while dining.) There are plenty of good restaurants in Halifax but this is a cozy little welcoming gem in the heart of the city that is well worth visiting.

• Visited July 2013
Halifax, Canada
“so happy to have found this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

Last week my husband and I got the idea to go to the Hydrostone Market for the evening, we had plans to eat and take a walk and figured we would pick a restaurant for dinner when we arrived. We stopped in several places to look at their menu's in the early evening and were struck by the friendliness of two restaurants which happened to be side by side, Salvatore's and Little Europe. Salvatore's looked good, and we had heard some great things about their pizza but they weren't licensed and the dining room was quite cramped so we chose Little Europe. When we had stopped in earlier my husband had noticed the kitchen was actually a part of the dining room and he thought maybe they would put on a little show or something. There were a few other people dining and I was surprised when we ended up being seated in a semi private area over looking the street. (The restaurant is pretty small and these seats are definitely the best ones.)

There was only one waitress and, from what I could see, one chef. I have never seen anything like this place anywhere in Halifax and if there is anywhere else I would like to know where it is. The waitress was kind, attentive and actually made both my husband and I genuinely laugh. We even watched her run down the street after an older couple who had forgotten a scarf.

Our food was amazing. The ravioli is handmade and changes daily, Chef Ramsey would be proud. When I asked what sauces I could have on it other than the spicy rose sauce it would usually come in the waitress listed some options and asked what sauce I had in mind, apparently the chef's in this little gem are very accommodating and will make any sauce you want if they can! I asked for an alfredo sauce, which wasn't even on their menu, and she said it would be no problem. My husband had their rotisserie chicken and I was pretty surprised to find out that there was no charge for white meat. The waitress told us the fries weren't to be missed so he chose them as a side. My pasta came with a small cucumber butterfly sitting atop it. The food was amazing, just like she had said it would be. As we left it was nice to get the chance to tell the chef so ourselves. He nodded and smiled extra wide when I mentioned the cucumber butterfly.

All in all this little place made me feel special, they made a meal just for me and the staff seemed to genuinely enjoy talking with us. I highly recommend going to this restaurant, maybe I will see you there!

• Visited June 2013