“Made my day”

Tako Sushi & Ramen
Ranked #52 of 715 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Chicago, Illinois
“Made my day”
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Alright, I confess...I found this restaurant on Yelp. But I'm doing my duty of bringing it to my TripAdvisor review cache.

Tako is very close to the Holiday Inn Express on Kearney Lake Rd. I pulled into the little strip mall around 8pm and found the restaurant fairly easily. Inside, the dining room was empty and I was greeted by the entire staff. They were genuinely happy and friendly, discussing the crummy weather and where in the world we all came from. I mentioned that I'd recently spent time in Tokyo, and the conversations became more fun. I felt very comfortable and welcome there. A slow trickle of people came in throughout my dine-in.

It appears to be run by a married couple - the Chef and his wife, the Waitress. The Chef has had experience in restaurants for several years, most recently having run a restaurant in Japan for six. The waitress assisted me with ordering - the menu has LOTS of great options. The Chef's Special sushi rolls looked good, and I can only vouch for the New York roll. It was awesome. The waitress came around again and asked if I wanted more food. She tried to sell me on the sushi pizza, but I had my little girl pants on and shied away from it. I opted for the Hakkaido Ramen (the Chef & Owner wanted me to compare the quality to ramen I'd had in Japan). It was also on the level of awesome. I downed the whole bowl, and told the Chef that his ramen had more flavor than did my sample in Japan. He smiled.

I closed out the meal with some mango ice cream. The Chef imports most, if not all, of his ingredients from Japan, so authenticity is affirmed here. The ice cream was great, as was the green tea. By the time I left, the dining room was full of people. I'll be back.

• Visited May 2013