“Best onion bhajia”

Grand Taj Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 December 2013

The onion bjajia was great with nice dipping sauces. The goat curry was delicious, but not at all hot, in fact nothing was hot. The Baigan Bharta, an eggplant dish was very flavourful, but the sweet pea rice was not, it was just greasy. The plain rice was better. The Raita and naan and pappadum were well done.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

I read about this resteraunt in the coast list of best food places and it won the gold for best Indian food. So far the coast has not led me astray so I'm wondering if there just isn't good Indian food to be had in Halifax. I have previously enjoyed Indian food from different places, (the best being Curry Original in downtown Kingston, On) so this wasn't my first Indian food experience. The food here was extremely lacklustre and an all round disappointment. The flavour was ok but the quality of the ingredients was not. The tandoori chicken and butter chicken was extremely dried out and they didn't debone the chicken at all before mixing it into the butter chicken. I found bones in just the sauce. There was also an annoyingly repetitive song playing that didn't help the atmosphere although the division of sections did offer some privacy which was decent. To top matters off they didn't honour a coupon because it had their old name on it even though half of the stuff inside the resteraunt still had their old name on it. Needless to say if you want a place to eat good food look elsewhere because you won't find it here.

3  Thank Christinakmo
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

Yesterday night me and a group of family members went to this resturant for supper. Walking in, you'd never expect as amazing of an experience as you get! The staff were all super friendly and helpful. The menu has lots of super yummy choices it was hard to decide what I wanted! I got the chicken Tikka Masala-AMAZING. Me and my family all shared around dishes and tried eachother food. The other dishes were also SUPER yummy! You have to order rice or naan bread on the side and I highly recommend you do. We got the naan bread and it was super delicious! The rice was enough for 2-3 people and it was also good. For appetizers we got samosas and I LOVED them! The food was true Indian! I'm now a huge Indian good fan!!! :D

Reviewed 16 August 2013

The website states there is 20 offerings for their Friday buffet. We have been here before for the a-la-carte menu,but were very excited for this buffet...it sounded amazing!
The buffet had 2 regular soups,3 salads, and approx 6 main dishes. There was rice pudding(delicious) and watermelon for dessert. Not sure how this equals 20 items. I hope they are not counting salad dressings???
The food was very good,but we were expecting a much bigger selection. The "buffet" is in a very small alcove in the restaurant,and very dark. I wish they had an English translation by each dish,as I had no clue what I was eating. Again, it was very good,but I like to know what is on my plate.
Service was very good,although the server should tell you to pay at the front...we sat at our table waiting for the server to come for our money.
The decor is very nice,by the sunny area that looks onto the street and park. I found the other part of the restaurant too dark.
We will go back,as the food is great,but not waste our money on the "buffet".

Reviewed 31 July 2013

The food was very good. I look forward to Indian food while on vacation, as Key West has many great places to eat, but none serve Indian cuisine. The buttered chicken and both lamb dishes were so tasty. Also, this was a nice change after two weeks of seafood. If you are in Halifax and had your fill of chowders and fish n chips this is a wonderful option.