“Best Korean food in Halifax”

Song's Korean restaurant
Ranked #176 of 751 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Korean
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

If you like or ever wanted to try korean food this is definitely the place to go in Halifax. The flavours are rich and aromatic and the service is fast and friendly. Having been to Korea I can tell you the food is pretty authentic with make due. I highly recommend japchae, bibimbap, bulgogi, gamja-tang and the kimchi-jiggae (my personal favourite)! And when you have a chance check out the Korean bqq it's definitely worth it. Happy dining! :)

1  Thank JDHaligonian

Reviewed 14 September 2013

We were going to try a different restaurant closer to home last weekend but it was closed. So I dragged the family off to Song's, based on a recommendation from a co-worker. I am really glad I did. We arrived about 1:00 on Saturday, and there were other customers but plenty of tables. This place isn't fancy but it's clean.

There are many Korean dishes front and centre, and some Japanese items (mostly sushi). Our lunch specials were bento-box style. I had bulgogi as my main, and it came with miso soup, rice, salad (with a most unusual "tutti-fruiti" dressing--weird but I liked it) and kimchi. It was quite tasty, though I would have enjoyed a stronger sesame flavour. (It was there, just more subtle than I'd choose.) My daughter had the salmon teriyaki bento, which she enjoyed. My husband had the spicy pork bento, which was good too. My son is less adventurous generally and chose the bulgogi plate (no salad, no miso), for a couple of bucks less. Nice to have that option when you don't want the full meal deal. But he really liked it and ended up stealing half my miso as well. We also ordered green tea with rice for the table, and it was a good, fresh version of this lovely drink.

The service was very nice, and is what pushed the experience over the top from "good" to "can't wait to go back". Our server seemed genuinely concerned with making us welcome, and making us happy. The chef was wandering around too, and did his best to help us understand the food, despite a slight language barrier. We saw lots of other people happily eating interesting dishes, and the server explained the pork bone soup we saw at another table--it's their most popular dish, and we'll give it a go next time. Also want to give the bibimbap a try.

As I said, not fancy, but good flavours and warm service. I hate trying an ethnic restaurant and finding that the food is "wrong" or "dumbed down". Song's was the opposite, people who know their food and are proud to share it.

1  Thank noelx4
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We recently had dinner at Song's and had a wonderful time. I had the sizzling Bibimbap, which was very tasty. My partner had the spicy pork with lettuce leaf wraps, and it met his desire for both spicy and flavourful. Service was friendly and efficient. We will be returning!

1  Thank PatDeMeo