“Good hotel for business”

Courtyard Halifax Downtown
Ranked #7 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Atlanta, Georgia
“Good hotel for business”
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I spent a week at the Courtyard Halifax. Unfortunately I arrived the night the staff was getting ready for their Christmas party so the kitchen was closed to the guest. I had to order food from one of the nearby restaurants or go out. Not a problem. The restaurant directly outside the courtyard will deliver room service and there are great restaurants nearby.

Good location for where I needed to go and the staff was attentive. I found the rooms a bit cold and the thermostat on the wall did nothing to heat it. I cranked that baby as far as it would go and it did not produce more heat.

Need a taxi? Don from Casino Taxis was excellent. He was always near the hotel and if he wasn't nearby and he made a commitment with you, he made sure somebody else was there. I used him and his colleagues to drop me off at QEII and to pick me up in the evenings for 3 days and to take me to the airport and they were always on time everytime.

Hotel food was ok but as previously stated, there are other options nearby in the Brewery Market. I noticed that they delivered exactly what you ordered to your room. For example, there was never any bread with my entree or even a glass of water. I found this a little different from other hotels I've frequented.

It was winter and very cold so I did not venture out but the location is perfect for summer walks along the harbor. My room gave me an awesome view of the harbor, After I returned home, my brother-in-law told me I should have stayed at the Marriott because I would not have had to go outside to get to the casino and other activities in the area.

I would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Halifax
Reviewed 1 January 2013

Great location and view (from the 7th floor) but sooooo noisy!! The walls were paper thin we heard the TV on one side and people talking on the other. You could hear people walking and talking in the hallways. Shortly after 1am our alarm clock went off!!! YUP housekeeping failed to check that, it gets better the 2nd alarm was set for 20 minutes later and in the room beside us (they weren't in the room so that kept buzzing). When we told the staff in the am about it she said oh that's too bad, hopefully you'll be back.
Location is great and view was beautiful, room was basic with an old TV. Clean room needs updating. Pool was very small, the smallest pool I've ever seen. Gym was small with a few machines.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed 6 December 2012

The hotel has an excellent location. We stayed here for 3 nights and pubs, restaurants and shopping were all within walking distance. We had a king, waterview room and the room was comfortable and clean. The bathroom was a nice size and we were supplied with extra towels. There was a sofa, coffee maker and mini fridge in the room. The AC in the room didn't seem to be working properly. I found it strange that the temperatures on the thermostat were in Fahrenheit rather than Celsius. Anyways no matter how low we set the temperature we keep waking up during the night sweating. The sheets were very thin and on my side it was torn. The staff at reception were very friendly and helpful and there was complimentary coffee, tea and hot chocolate in the lobby during certain hours. It was great value for the price we paid and would certainly stay here again.

1 Thank Maclor2
Canada
Reviewed 2 December 2012

I stayed here for business for 2 nights in November 2012 and the location is central, however I was a little disappointed with the room.

The room itself is awkward and outdated. The TV's are from the late 90's, and they are positioned off to the side of the bed. If you want to watch tv in bed, you have to pull it out and turn it towards the bed. I haven't been to a hotel in ages, that hasn't updated their TV's to flat screens. Wall paper in the washroom was peeling off the wall, and the drapes in the bedroom had stains. Also, it was extremely cold in the room, and even though I adjusted the heat, nothing happened.

The maids in the morning were annoying as well, they start knocking on people's doors at 7:30 am, so I learned very quickly to put the do not disturb on my door knob.

On another note, the ladies at the front desk were very welcoming and always very polite.

The next time I travel to Halifax for business, I think I will try the Westin.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank SmOkeythebear22
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 19 November 2012

This Courtyard Marriott hotel is modern and well kept. The staff is consistently friendly (although most all Maritimers are friendly!). Rooms are spacious and quiet. Bathrooms are clean and modern. Breakfast in the restaurant is always tasty. There is no self-park, only valet parking. Many Pubs and restaurants are within walking distance. Halifax harbour is only a block away! The lounge in lobby is quaint.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Nb Canada
Reviewed 16 November 2012

This Marriott is located on the waterfront in Downtown Halifax, the room we stayed had a large king size bed, and overlooked the water. contemporary design, with all the amenities, not overly fancy but very nice. and we got a sweet deal from price line.

Reviewed 12 November 2012

The hotel is located downtown near the water and numerous good restaurants, parking is valet parking at twenty bucks a day yet no one outside to even offer to help. Room very large, great mattress and large bathroom. But TV is a relic from 1990's and don't fit in the decor. The room was not spotless. Given it was a week end it was very quiet. The pool is located on first floor so you end up meeting incoming guests in bathing suits off the main lobby and a little wet coming back and since they were no robes in the room it's a little embarrassing.

1 Thank danoonthego