“3.5 / 5 if I could, but better than 3 / 5”

Courtyard Halifax Downtown
Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed 3 April 2013

The staff were very friendly and professional, the location's great for a place if you're looking for a place downtown, and the place and my room were pretty much spotless. If these things matter to you, you may like this place.

These things matter, so why not higher than the 3.5 / 5 I'd like to give?
The ice machine in the hallway right beside my room was as loud as some lawnmowers. In fact, I think I've heard quieter lawn mowers than that machine. Perhaps it was powered by Briggs and Stratton? Doubt it, but it certainly sounded like it. I asked a staff member who I met in an elevator if it was usually that loud - yep, definitely. So the hotel knew it was ridiculous and that was fine with management was the conclusion I drew. All of that would typical earn a place a really bad rating with me, but amazingly, the room was well enough insulated that this ridiculously loud thing did not keep me awake. Also, the staff member offered to move me if it was an issue. The staff person absolutely did his/her part, and I appreciated it - the people with authority to spend the $ to replace or fix the ice machine really should do theirs.

The pool, while pleasant, was second smallest i've ever seen. The only one smaller was an exercise pool where the water moved, not the swimmer. If you really like going for a swim and you're taller than 3', pass on the Courtyard. The workout room was on the tiny side too.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators (and therefore away from the ice machine / lawnmower).
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 25 March 2013

With a great downtown location, this newer hotel provides comfortable rooms with a view. The entire staff was cheerful and helpful. The only drawback was the size of the pool, but all the facilities were well maintained. The lobby is a great place to relax and catch up with fellow travelers and friends. I could do without the $5.00 bottle of water in our room fridge, but the amenities were first rate.

Room Tip: The higher the better.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Our room was HUGE with a great view of the harbour. The service was great, from the valet to front desk to the cleaning staff. We will for sure be staying here the next time we come to Halifax. One improvement would be to improve the strength of their wireless Internet. We had to re-enter the password very often and it was quite weak.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 March 2013

This is a great hotel in a surprisingly lovely location. Very close to the waterfront and convenient walking distance to many local eateries and shops. But the thing that sets this place apart is the people. I was treated like an honored guest from the minute that I arrived. The valet, front desk, restaurant and custodial staff were all attentive without being overbearing and seemed to honestly care about my comfort. My room was immaculate and well cared for. The gym and pool area were well maintained and had all that I needed to get a workout in, and the front desk staff answered my many questions with patience and good humor.
As a frequent business traveler I give this hotel my highest recommendation.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Stayed here for one night with family - the hotel is truly wonderful. The rooms are very spacious and the beds are more than comfortable. Staff were very friendly and accommodating. Would stay again, in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I travel a lot. Simple. I spend most of my time away from home but when in Halifax i will always stay with my Marriott family at the Courtyard Downtown. The price is reasonable for the business man and also to families. I can not say enough about the staff... From the friendly smiles of Eddie bring up your valet parked car or mangers Frank and Jenn in the front office. They know your name the remember you and treat you with kindness and respect. I truly feel this is a home away from home.
Rooms are immaculate and kept to very high standards. The bar has great food as well as great liquid refreshments. The restaurant has a full menu of meals at reasonable prices.

Above all is the real sense of a small close knit group ready to make your stay the best it can be.

Room Tip: The folks will be as flexible as possible if you just ask. I've stayed on every level and every...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 February 2013

I enjoyed a 3 night stay at the courtyard that started valentine`s day 2013. The room was very clean, the Staff answered all the questions I had about the sites. The valet was quick, always had the car ready when asked. We had a view of the water but being the winter did not have much to look at. I did not try any of the restaurants on site as we wanted to try different places around town. My wife visited the Spa and took a Mama mia massage as she is 6 months pregnant. She enjoyed it very much and found it relaxing. They also suggested some follow up massages when back home (manual lymph). I found this was very nice of them as they knew that the follow ups would not be through them but still took the time to suggest it to her. Only one thing annoyed me, there was an air filter or heater that started doing a loud noise at 6am on our checkout day. We mentioned it at checkout so hoping this will be fixed for future guests.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple