“Comfortable and accommodating”

Ranked #7 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Edwardsville, Canada
“Comfortable and accommodating”
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

I absolutely loved the fireplace in the lobby. We had fun taking pics of the sleigh they had there as well.
The room was nice and the beds were comfortable. It was winter so couldn't see much from the window
I enjoyed the exercise room and pool.
It was nice to go down to the lobby later in the evening and have a drink. The setup of the bar is open and part of the lobby. When they closed at 11, my friend and I had a glass of wine in front of the fireplace. We were there for at least an hour talking. It was great. This is the second time I stayed at this hotel. Staff were great.
It was also great to pay $20.00 for parking and they parked it for you. Didn't have to deal with downtown parking

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reviewed 2 January 2014

For this New Year's we decided to get a room in Halifax, but not just any room. We wanted one with a great view of the harbour. There are surprisingly few hotels actually on or near the waterfront. One of them is the Courtyard which we had stayed in years before and knew that it had great views from its upper floors along with an outdoor deck for guests only. I requested a room on the top floor and upon check in was assigned Room 817 which is the closest to the water. It had a magnificent view of George's Island and the harbour entrabce. Directly below was the Brewery Market.

I tried to get a suite but these were all gone, but settled for a room with a balcony. Room 817 would certainly be called a suite by most as it had a sitting area separated from the sleeping area. It was certainly big enough to host two other couples.

Lots of good standard items - small fridge, free internet anda good work station with a pullout.table. Free coffee in the morning. Because of the configuration the balcony for Room 817 is quite large and would be a great place to people watch in warmer months.

The lobby of the Courtyard is very welcoming and is adorned with artifacts discovered on the site during construction, something we first saw at Auberge St. Antione in Quebec City. It is a good reminder that Halifax has more than 260 years of history. Overall the cost was well in line for the type of room and view we had.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 8th floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank maritimeexplorer
Canada
Reviewed 30 November 2013

First time staying here. Nice to be at other end of waterfront for a change. Easy to drive into courtyard - couple of entrances, one from Salter, one from Water Street. Pretty decorations for Christmas at entrance and inside. Very, very comfortable - the lobby area as well as the very attractive room which looked straight out to part of Halifax Harbour. Couch and coffee table, desk, tv, as well as king size bed - a big room. Coffee. There is a restaurant directly across the driveway from the main entrance. I was a little disappointed that I could not get lunch there as it did not open until dinner time but the Brewery Market is right next door to the hotel and I had some really good Chinese food at Cheelin in there. Very friendly helpful staff at hotel. There is a breakfast buffet - a little hidden at the back of the lobby area but we had decided to go to Cabin Coffee just up the hill from the hotel anyway and that was lovely. Hotel has a swimming pool, although we didn't use it. We also went elsewhere for dinner because we realy like the Suzuki Japanese restaurant on Dresden Row so I can't rate the actual hotel restaurant, however we had some food through room service later that evening: spinach/feta dip with pita, bruschetta and a piece of vanilla cheesecake and that was all very good.

Room Tip: I guess the higher you go the more of a view you get :-) We were on the fifth floor (there are seve...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Polygona
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Visiting Halifax for a week and found the Courtyard to be an excellent choice. Conveniently located for all the attractions, particularly the Maritime Museum and the docks and easy walking distance of the stores downtown and on Spring Gardens Road. The rooms are large and well appointed - and spotlessly clean. Beds are to the usual high Marriott standard. Breakfast was disappointing so I would recommend the outstanding coffee shop half a block up the hill. There is a good restaurant - The Cut - on the same site which served excellent seafood, though the service was a bit slow

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 12 November 2013

It was our first time in Halifax and this hotel provided just what we needed - comfortable beds, proximity to the waterfront, attentive professional staff and delicious food through room service when we just did not want to go out one more time for dinner. We stayed for 3 nights in the king suite which does not have a water view but met our needs perfectly. I enjoyed an incredible massage treatment at the spa located in the hotel - there is nothing better than taking the elevator to a spa and returning to your room without the hassle of parking or even going outside.
One night we were able to walk to the Brewery next door for a lovely casual dinner. We loved the Farmers Market which is also close to the hotel and has a wide and diverse range of food and produce - we picked up some wonderful breads, cheeses, wines and chocolates from the market.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dave P, Manager at Courtyard Halifax Downtown, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Good day EllenAdena , thank you very much for this wonderful feedback.

This is exactly the level service we strive for daily. We believe our location to be the best in downtown Halifax within proximity to all necessary amenities with just a short walk. I was glad to hear you were able to pamper yourself while with us and do hope you come back for another visit soon.

Again thank you for sharing this feedback with the world.

Dave
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I came to Halifax for my first time this year and I had the pleasure of staying at the Courtyard Marriott Halifax. The Courtyard's accommodations were pristine and the staff were very helpful with any questions or requests I had. I would say it is the best location to stay in Halifax, so close to the waterfront, stores and restaurants. I highly recommend the Courtyard Marriott Halifax to anyone who is looking for a great place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the courtyard Marriott. My room had an excellent view of the waterfront, bishops landing and the brewery market. My room was very clean and the bed was comfy. Front desk staff were helpful, Lakhsmi checked me in and she was very friendly and professional. The hotel is located downtown on the waterfront so you have an easy walk to all major attractions. I will definitely stay here again.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Dave P, Manager at Courtyard Halifax Downtown, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Good day Lindsay115, thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us.

We feel our views are the best in the city. The ones overlooking the brewery market into the Halifax harbour are my personal favourite..and just a great snapshot of old Halifax. I will be sharing this feedback with the team and most importantly Lakhsmi. She is a wonderful person whom takes great care of all of our guest.

Dave