“Very friendly staff, excellent accomodations and service”

Courtyard Halifax Downtown
Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed 23 April 2010

I have been staying at this hotel for the past three years(since it was built) and have had nothing but great service from its friendly staff. It is a small hotel located near the waterfront with lots of great restaurants within walking distance.The view of Halifax harbourfrom the top floor balcony is excellent.The rooms are very comfortable.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 3 April 2010

We arrived early to the hotel, and they already had our room ready. After a long day we could easily relax in our room. The location was fantastic, and in walking distance of many restaurants and museums. Our room had a view of the harbor, and right down the hall was a nice balcony to take pictures. The best feature of the hotel, was the service. We went down to the desk and asked for our car, and asked if while we waited we could get coffee at the nearby coffee shop, so they took our bags, and when we came back, they had already put all our bags in the car. The only small problem, was there was a small stain on a pillow case, but the maid kindly replaced it with a clean one.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 March 2010

Is the word that would describe my experience at the Courtyard by Marriott.
Hats off to an amazing team who exemplify the "Halifaxian Hospitality"
My occupation takes me away from home 75% of my year, for the last ten years and I have never encountred such an immaculate property, ever...!
Courtyard by Marriott is my #1 choice when in Halifax.

Sincerely
Happy Traveler of Room 714, March 2010

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 March 2010

We've stayed here before and this time was no different in terms of the excellent service we received while staying at this hotel. The rooms were clean, the staff very very friendly, our 2 year old loved the pool, food was great and the overall stay was a nice experience. I would recommned this place to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 March 2010

This hotel was full of kids during my visit. I understand that it was March break, but come on I was paying $180 and should not have to put up with a bunch of screaming kids. At least put guests paying a higher rate on a different floor. The breakfast was nothing to write home about, mind you there are a few other options close by. Valet parking was expensive and worth it until I had to wait almost 30 minutes to get my car on one occasion. I will certainly try another hotel the next time I am in town.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank sweettraveler010
Reviewed 11 November 2009

I really don't know what all the bad reviews are on this place. I just don't get it.
The staff that we encountered were absolutely wonderful and friendly (especially Howard and another older gentleman that got our vehicle from Valet).
The hotel itself is located in an excellent location, walking distance to everything (for us).
Located right next to the Alexander Keiths brewery, and Cut steakhouse (which is a 5 star review in itself!)
Beautiful grounds, clean room and overall interior. Looks like they are right on top of things, as to not let this hotel go. Saw staff putting a fresh coat of paint on the doorways and around elevators.
Room is a standard Courtyard room. We were in room 803 on the top floor. Nice and comfy with a refridgerator, coffee maker, small couch. Plenty of pillows on the bed. Nothing to complain about here...at all!
We paid the $19 to Valet Park. Just didn't trust leaving the vehicle out on the street or anywhere else for that matter. Well worth it to us. Free internet (which I did not have any problems with), in looking at most of the other places in the area, you are charged for internet!
Upon leaving...we were chatting with Howard (who again, such a nice man!), he saw we were from Maine, and gave us each a Nova Scotia pin. Thanks again Howard!

I would (or shall I say will) definitley stay here again, and would not hesitate to recommend. Can't wait to come back this next summer!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2009

I had stayed at this hotel back when it first opened and what a difference a little bit of time makes - for the worse! Thier claim of 80% of their rooms having a harbour view is what I deem to be inaccurate - low and behold this is my second visit and this is the second time I didn't get a harbour viuew rooms. I had requested this both on line and at the property. Once at the propoerty I was told that they were full and that requests were just that requests.

The room I was in was ackwardly laid out with the bed off the bathroom wall facing the window. I do not recall this during my last visit, but it wasn't a huge deal for me. I had issues with the internet while I was there, as it was very slow. Parking is self park and expensive. They do have valet 'only' parking on site, with all other required to park off site - are you kidding me!!!!!!

I was there for two nights and had the breakfast on the second morning - nothing to write home about and slow, so if you are pressed for time eat elsewhere.

The fitness center itself was an OK size, but the equipment is limited. In a nut shell, don't stay here if an equiped fitness center is important to you.

The biggest difference I found here is that the staff were not very welcoming, all most as though it was a bother to talk to them.

I did really like the pantry, as it is extremely handy especially whent eh nearest store is many blocks away.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank martythemonkey
Markb41, Director of Guest Services at Courtyard Halifax Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2009

In regards to your recent stay with us. It is indeed true that most of our rooms have harbour views but they are booked on a first come first serve basis. If you wish to be guaranteed a harbour view room you have to book that particular room type and pay the rate difference. We regularly upgrade guests to these room types but unfortunately we cannot upgrade everyone. I can assure all Tripadvisor patrons that the layout of our rooms have not changed since opening. Any seasoned Halifax traveler will understand the premium and difficulty that Halifax has in relation to it's parking situation. There is no free parking in this city and our rates are actually $5 cheaper then the unsecured public lot across the street. In conclusion, the services offered by this hotel are well above our competitors in both quality, service and security and this is reflected in the excellent customer care that given to all of our guests.