Homewood Suites by Hilton Halifax-Downtown, Nova Scotia, Canada
GreenLeadersGold level
New Bedford, MA
“The best of the best”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

My family and I can't rave enough about the Homewood Suites in Halifax. Everything was first-rate from the food, the room, to the ambiance and the service. On the Michelin guide of excellence, this facility rates three stars which is the highest.

Room Tip: Any room is top-notch and tony.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Trevor M, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Halifax-Downtown, Nova Scotia, Canada, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Thank you so much for the great review of our hotel. We hope you will come back and visit us again soon.

Trevor Morgan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Reviewed 27 August 2014

The hotel was beautiful with such a warm atmosphere. The breakfast was so great. The staff provided exceptional service that I must give a shout out to some of them! Denise gave us fabulous directions wherever we needed to go. Melissa even came up to our room to provide extra packing materials. And being that it was our anniversary, Angela took the time to write us a beautiful note and give us chocolates! (I had to save them both!)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your incredible review of our hotel. We strivce to provide service that copmplements our beautiful new product, it's nice to hear your experience recognized our efforts! I will pass on your comments to all of our employees, and will personally thank Melissa, Denise and Angela for their efforts.

General Morgan
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I found this hotel to be very nice and the staff was quite good. The room was quite lovely, as ususal with Homewood suites. The hotel is only a few months old and so I expected some issues. But, because we paid about $900 over 3 nights I have some things to point out. I asked for an upper floor when making the reservation, I got a lower floor. She said it had to do with our type of room. Fine. On our 2 day stay, we left the room all day. By about 4:00 P.M. on both days, our room hadn't been done. I had to call and wait. On the second day, I had to call twice and she didn't restock. The workers were nice enough to bring us more than we needed to restock.
The supper we had seemed undercooked. The variety for breakfast could have been a little better. It was the same breakfast they serve at the Hampton Inn (which is cheaper). The Hampton included waffles in their breakfast. I think the problem for me is that I am comparing
this hotel to the one in the States. I was so impressed in the states. We got complimentary
wine, dessert and the food was fantastic for the price we paid. I feel like I just stayed at an
overpriced Hampton Inn. The staff seems quite young.
We will continue staying at Homewood Suites and Hampton Inn's in the states but not so much
in Canada. IT WAS STILL A LOVELY STAY. And thank you for the complimentary coffee
everyday.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms here are probably lovely and quiet.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Anna Maria P
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your stay with us. I was pleased to hear that you were happy with your suite and our staff. I have reviewed in detail your comments regarding housekeeping service and our dinner offerings with our management team. Unlike the U.S., Nova Scotia regulations around the service of alcohol do not permit us to provide complimentary alcohol as part of our offering.
I can assure you that your feedback is invaluable in assisting us with continually improving our product and services to our valued guests. We hope you'll come back and visit us again.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Prior to this visit, Homewood Suites was my favourite hotel chain. Unfortunately, my expectations were not met at the Homewood in Halifax. It all started at check-in. I was the only person standing in line, but it took 15 minutes before I was served as there was only one person at the desk and she was taking forever with the couple in front of me. When we got to our room, we had to call for service since the lights on one room did not work (Turned out to be a breaker). Also, we asked for a room on the top floor. They set us up on the 3rd floor out of 15.

The next day, when we returned to our room, the room had not yet been cleaned and we had to call to get the maid to clean our room. The second day, the same thing happened. I would think that by 4:30 in the afternoon, the maid has had plenty of time to clean our room. Not sure if she would have even showed up if we had not called. On the second occasion, after doing our room, we found that she had not replaced the toiletries. I had to call the front desk yet again to have them delivered separately.

The breakfast was very disappointing. I expected better from this hotel. They have the standard breakfast with omelette, and a couple sides such as potato or sausage. They have two juices, coffee and a continental assortment. Unfortunately, there is no pancakes or waffles, One morning, the omelettes were hard, the sausages was dry and over-cooked and the potatoes were cold. I asked the server about the food and she referred me to the cook, who suggested that it was my fault and I had left the food on my plate too long. He just walked away leaving me standing there.

Out of the three nights we stayed at the hotel, we were served the supper only once, since they do not serve supper on Saturdays or Sundays. The meal was decent, but the service was poor. Our hostess greeted us with the three standard lines she greeted each table with "How are you", "Can I bring you some water?" and "What is your room number". This was just a way of ensuring that you were actually a guest at the hotel. When we did ask the hostess a couple questions, she seemed annoyed. Also, they charge an extra $5 for a glass of wine and have no desserts (At other Homewood Suites, they were included in the supper).

At checkout, the bill was not delivered to our room. I had to check-out the old fashion way at the front desk. When I asked about it, I was told that you had to be a gold or diamond member to have the bill delivered. In most hotels, this is not the case.

The best things I can say about the hotel is that the rooms are large and very nice. The hotel is very new (Around 3 months old) and quite luxurious. The beds and pillows are clean and comfortable. The internet reception was very good.

That being said, when you pay almost $300 a night (including parking of $19 per night and taxes), you expect the best of everything. We were quite disappointed compared to our prior visits at other Homewood Suites.

Room Tip: When you ask for a specific floor, make sure in advance that they actually plan on doing it for you.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Glen007_11
Stacie B, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Halifax-Downtown, Nova Scotia, Canada, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and review on Trip Advisor. Please know that the feedback you provide us is a valuable tool and helps us to identify areas of opportunity at our hotel and within our team. I have shared your review and comments with our Food and Beverage Manager as well as our Executive Housekeeper and I'm certain that the result will be action on any area that we may have fallen short in delivering the best experience possible.

My hope as a new hotel is that we are operting the Homewood Suites in Halifax the same way as all Homewood Suites operate in North America as we are guided by the brand in all of our offerings and services which are within our ability. For example, our breakfast offerings should be the same from property to property in terms of choice and selection. Suppers at the Homewood are an offering Monday through Thursday nights only and in Nova Scotia we are not permitted to give complimentary alcoholic beverages away as they are in the US due to our alcohol and gaming regulations. We should however, be delivering newspapers to all Hilton Honours guests as part of their membership benefits. We also have a speedy way of emailing your folio directly to you if that is your preference as well.

I truly appreciate that you took the time to communicate all of your positive comments regarding the Hotel as well and I will follow up on all of the service opportunities we had to exceed your expectations so thank you very much for ensuring they were passed along to me.

We would love the opportunity to make amends for your experience and hope that if you have the occasion to be back in Halifax, that we have the opportunity to demonstrate the culture and service environment that our team so eagerly shows all of our guests. Please contact me directly if I can ever be of any assistance.

Calgary, Canada
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,233 helpful votes
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Our stay at the Homewood Suites was over the top from start to finish. The staff were all extremely friendly and helpful. They truly did cater to our every whim and need. The hotel itself was amazingly clean, with large, bright public areas and beautiful personal suites. Breakfast was great with lots of hot and cold choices. As well, dinner was excellent with a different entree each night. What a bonus to have a hot dinner, complete with sides, salad and fresh bread. You can't beat the location: an easy walk to everything in downtown Halifax. Why would you stay any place else? It truly was the best.

Room Tip: A room on the back side of the hotel provides a view of Citadel Hill
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CanadianMum
Stacie B, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Halifax-Downtown, Nova Scotia, Canada, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Thank you so much for this wonderful review! It does my heart good to know that we've impressed you and dare I say maybe even exceeded your expectations? :) Again, thank you for taking the time to post this and we look forward to your return!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2014

My first night was miserable. Once I arrived to the hotel, I asked for a few comforters and extra blankets. I received one of each. That night, I placed the temperature high, but discovered that throughout the night I had to adjust the thermostat. Regardless, the cold air blew in my face and I did not sleep well the entire night. I woke up with a fever and I lost my voice -which was critical for my presentation. The coffee machine didn't work and I found out there was complimentary breakfast - wish someone would have told me prior. I brought my interrupted sleep due to the facility to the attention of Donna, the guest service manager. She told me there was nothing she could do and that since the next night would be exactly the same, she, in polite terms, told me to leave the property. With a very startling and unfortunate conclusion to my first time in Halifax, I packed my belongings to leave. By the time I gathered my suitcases (4) to the parking lot, my key expired and I returned with my belongings for another key - just for the car park area.
I am extremely unhappy about my trip especially for being charged for a night which I didn't sleep well, caught a chill and was dismissed rather casually from a Hilton Homewood Suites. I have never been treated with such un-Hilton values. I am very disappointed especially having to re-plan my hotel at such late notice. My guarantee for a good night's sleep was compromised and Donna did not honour the writing on the plaque that is prominently displayed on the reception desk. I would not stay at this hotel again nor advise anyone to have future bookings here especially if this is the mediocre service dished out to guests.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank SomeBunnylovesyou
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on line. My heart is always heavy when we have a guest who is disatisfied with their stay. Please know that we have received your feedback through our Guest Assistance team and I have responded in person and private to all of your concerns at the email address you provided them. As managers, we know that we won't always get everthing right 100% of the time but I would encourage anyone who is highly displeased to meet with the manager in person while on site at the hotel because all we want to do is make it better for our guests so that they can enjoy the remainder of their stay. Our entire team feels terrible that you did not enjoy your experience and we would love the opprotunity to make amends with you in person. Please contact me directly at anytime.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My boyfriend and I spent 5 nights at this immaculate hotel in downtown Halifax for our vacation. We road tripped to Nova Scotia from Maryland, USA and I can't tell you how wonderful it was to check into this little piece of heaven after hours and hours of driving! Every single staff member that I met and spoke with was extremely friendly and helpful. Melissa at the Front Desk recommended many restaurants and local attractions for us to visit while we were there, and she always had a smile and a greeting for us!

The rooms were superb: spotless, comfortable beds, speedy WIFI, great views of the Citadel and the Harbor - everything I've come to expect from a Homewood Suites and more! We enjoyed the complimentary breakfast every morning, and the evening meal just a few times (because we were usually out exploring the city for the duration of the day).

The pool and fitness center are both located on the lower level of the hotel. I didn't have time to utilize the fitness center, but we did get to use the pool and it was clean and a decent temperature for a little relaxation in the water.

The location of the hotel can't be beat. Within walking distance of the harbor, Citadel, countless restaurants, shopping, museums, entertainment, etc.

Overall, I am so so so happy with this hotel's accommodations and service. I think Halifax has become our new yearly vacation destination and I will certainly be returning to this Homewood Suites. Thanks again for everything!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jessica T
Your review has been one of my favourites to read! A glowing endorsement highlighting all of the things about our property that we love and value also. Your comments about our staff and Melissa specifically, describe the experience that we endeavour to deliver to each of our guests! Thank you for taking the time to post this review and share with others. We'll see you next summer!?