“Excellent Hotel”

Hampton Inn by Hilton Halifax Downtown
Ranked #7 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We were impressed with this hotel. We have stayed in Hampton Inn hotels throughout the US and Canada and so far, this one tops the list. The hotel was spotless and the room had top notch furnishings. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Wish we could have stayed longer!

Room Tip: Go for the rooms on the high floor for a great view of the harborfront !
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Stacie B, General Manager at Hampton Inn by Hilton Halifax Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Thank you for the awesome review! We wish you could have stayed longer too! Come back soon.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

The Hotel is new and well-maintained. Great breakfast. Be forewarned, however, that it's at the top of the hill overlooking the old city. If you've got the legs for walking up and down you can't beat it; but if you're the least mobility-impaired, you may want to think about something down the hill closer to the harbor.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the great endorsement! Our beautiful positioning affords us great views of Halifax Harbour :)

Reviewed 22 August 2014

The hotel is new and the location is good as it's just a fee blocks from the boardwalk. The staff were friendly however, on the first day two kitchen staff ran around a corner into me with trays of food. I didn't see them coming as they had closed all but one of the breakfast doors and two workers were racing around the corner. My orange juice spilled all over me. The worker simply said my mistake and cleaned up his mess. I was left wiping down my clothes and body. Then when I went to go back to get more orange juice they had closed the door. The breakfast closed at 10:00 am and by the time I had cleaned up it was a few minutes to ten. Also note the rooms do not have fridges and the hotel doesn't have any firm pillows. We asked for a firm pillow and we're told sorry it's a common request but we don't have any.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to detail your experience. I am so sorry that this happened to you and left you with a less favourable impression. I will certainly pass your comments along to the team as we all know that the big things are in the small details! I value your comments about the fridges and pillows and this is great feedback. Our team is working on the purchase of fridges for the Hampton rooms and we will definitely invest in some firm pillows to have on hand for our guests!

Hope to see you again,

Reviewed 22 August 2014

We stayed one night in Halifax and were very happy with our hotel selection. The hotel is new and the rooms are very spacious and well appointed. Staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel location is good although a bit of a walk to the waterfront. A helpful hint for other travelers, move your car to an area outside of the parking garage before checking out as your room key is needed to get access to the parking garage.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the wonderful review. We are currently sourcing two drop boxes for guest keys once the gain re-entry to the parkade so that you are not inconvenienced by having to return your keys. One of the boxes will be in the stairwell and the other in the elevator landing of the parkade. They should be in place shortly!

Reviewed 21 August 2014

I had to attend a training in Halifax and I chose to stay at the brand new Hampton Inn downtown. Where do I start? It's located a few steps away from the boardwalk, the staff is extremely friendly and efficient, the hotel is really beautiful and very clean, and room was perfect. The art everywhere is quite nice and showcases Halifax.

I was able to work easily and comfortably for a few hours in my room because it has a nice desk, a good chair and lots of natural light coming in. Free WIFI, lots of plugs and a nice radio for background music, I was pretty productive!

There a small shopping center about a block away. There's a pharmacy, a Starbucks, a food court and a couple of stores. There are a lot of restaurants in the area too.

I was quite shocked by the taxi fare from the airport to the hotel (63$!) but my colleague took the bus for 3.50$. The front desk booked me a limo service for 59$ to go back to the airport. The bus was no longer running that late in the day so check the schedules if you want to use it.

Note for the ladies: that area of the city has a lot of hills, so walking around with heels is not an option...also bring a light jacket or sweater if you are out past dinner time.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JOANNIC

Another great review, filled with great information and advice! Thank you for taking the time to post this on trip advisor for all future guests and for highlighting our rooms so perfectly!

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Colin gave me a much-needed late check-out. I could not recommend this hotel more. It is near everything and is a great place to stay. There is no better place to stay in Nova Scotia. Everything you need us within walking distance.

• Stayed: August 2014

Wow, thank you so much for this review! I am so thrilled to be responding to such happy guests every day. You make my job so easy :)

Stay well, see you next time!

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Excellent place to stay if you are visiting Halifax. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Excellent hot breakfast. Close distance to many attractions. It will be great if the room service option is available, especially when you travel with kids.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for the great review! We also hope that once a restaurant is in place on the bottom floor of the apartment building next door, room service will be an option for all of our guests!