“Very Disappointing.”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston,MA
“Very Disappointing.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Our stay at Best Western Chocolate Lake was something straight out of an episode of "Hotel Impossible". We must have stayed at 8 or 9 hotels across Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island during our 3 week road trip and this was the worst hotel that we stayed in.

First, the rooms are small , dated and boring. I asked the front desk for a Queen Suite with a Lake View and was upgraded for a small fee .. except the suite was facing the parking lot. The room itself was very small and badly laid out so that you kept bumping into furniture. The bedroom with 2 queens was so small that there was no space to set up our Baby's Pack N' Play in there.

Second- The staff at the front desk seems badly trained or just arrogant and unfriendly. I was struggling to get the luggage cart through the front door with all the baby luggage. My wife was pushing the baby stroller. The Front Desk just stared at us without offering or sending someone to help. In fact one of them laughed at us and said I should make more trips rather than try pushing the luggage cart.

Third-On our second day ,housekeeping did not clean our room.We left the room around noon and returned at 7pm to find this. I do understand that sometimes things get missed and this was not the end of the world. However, when a mistake happens, you expect the hotel to recognize this inconvenience , apologize and fix the issue and do whatever it takes to make sure you leave the hotel a happy customer. Unfortunately, when I called the front desk, I had the misfortune of interacting with the acting GM (Jill) who was rude, argumentative and had trouble controlling her temper. I would say that someone with these qualities should not be in the customer service business , let alone be the GM . Jill first asked me if this was the only problem I was having(Hmm.. yes the only problem ..I had a dirty room , no clean towels, trash cans full, bed not made up).. then she explained how the staff had mentioned in their notes that the privacy sign on our room was on . As I explained that the sign was not on the door, Jill's next excuse was that the sign must have fallen down and not pushed under the door properly confusing the cleaning staff. Once, I explained that this was also not the case, her next excuse was that the sign fell from the table in the room and the staff opened the door and got confused and left without cleaning the room.

After this frustrating conversation, she offered to come up and clean the room... this meant multiple trips.. one to scope out what was needed , next to get get 2 towels (no wash cloths because Jill did not know where these were kept)... next to get some more towels because a family of 3 with a 1 year old toddler probably needs more than 2 towels and we had to ask her for some more.Last but not the least , when I explaIned my frustration to her, she proceeded to tell me how they needed to train the staff and how she would email the head of housekeeping.(i wish someone would tell Jill that as a customer, I don't care whether you need to train the staff or send email to whoever, I paid for a room.. the room has not been cleaned, I am not happy with this experience and you need to make sure this is fixed instead of arguing and making excuses.). The last straw was when she stood there , her face red with anger, asking me if I was now happy that she had cleaned the room ...( hmm..what do you think ... you standing in my room at 8:30pm should answer the question).

Last- A couple of other small things... the front of the hotel has limited parking.. if you have children and/or a lot of luggage , this may be an issue. There is additional parking at the back but depending on the room location, it may be very inconvenient and as I indicated earlier, don't expect any help from the staff.

Halifax has many options in terms of hotels and I would have happily paid a little more if it meant that my 2 night stay was drama free and comfortable and I did not have to waste 2 hours arguing with incompetent staff who don't understand the concept of customer service. My advice to fellow travelers is to avoid this place and look elsewhere .There is no price for peace of mind and for a guest enjoying their vacation.

(and just to complete the experience, on checkout , no one asked me how my stay was or apologized for the experience.. the words as I remember them were "You are all paid up ..take care".)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank bohemianguy2001
ChocolateLakeHotel, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Chocolate Lake Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Hello bohemianguy2001, and my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations. As the GM, I take your concerns very seriously and have followed up with our Front Desk Manager, Jill, and with our housekeeping department. I can assure you that what you experienced is not the standard and not in keeping with our promise to ensure every guest is happy with their stay at Chocolate Lake.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

I liked everything about this hotel except for one thing: the thin walls. I could hear pretty much everything going on in the hall and the rooms beside and above me. I could also hear a lot of the traffic passing by outside, from our fifth floor room. Otherwise our stay was great. Rooms were well priced (even on the cheap side IMO). Rooms were clean and well appointed. Service was friendly. Breakfast was free and it was a small hot buffet instead of continental! Very much a plus in my books.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Darnell B and thank you for sharing your comments with us. I have to agree with you that our hot breakfast is definitely a nice change from the typical continental that some hotels offer! We look forward to welcoming you back to Chocolate Lake.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

There were both good and bad aspects to our stay. Firstly, the location is great with a wonderful view of Chocolate lake. The pool and spa area was lovely and they have adult only swim hours after 9:30pm for a bit of quiet relaxation time. The room was clean and the bed was quite comfortable. The morning breakfast was delicious, plentiful and well organized. There were only two things that left us slightly unimpressed, first was the fact that we were given a room with a birds nest just outside the door (we had a room at the end of a hallway) that woke us up very early in the morning. Secondly, we were spoken to multiple times in a condescending and undesirable manner by one of the staff at the front desk. We got the impression that it was because we are a young couple and it felt like when we asked for/about something it was bothersome to her. We had a decent stay but this definitely put a damper on it.

Room Tip: Not the room with the birds nest outside it
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Jessica T. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I'm glad you enjoyed your room and breakfast. As for the birds, my apologies for their poor choice of nesting habits. The good news is that we were able to gently relocate them so hopefully they'll stay away from our paying guests!
Brampton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

Excellent location, and service and we appreciated the little courtesies about places to eat and stay. It was a very positive experience and the room view was beautiful overlooking Chocolate Lake. We would most certainly come back to this location if we visit Halifax again

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

ChocolateLakeHotel, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Chocolate Lake Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Hello Rocco C and thanks for the review. We look forward to welcoming you back to Chocolate Lake and to Halifax.
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

OK this is not downtown and not pretty from the front but if you have a car it is a great location and hidden behind the hotel is a lovely lake and the have some drive up units. Breakfast was good for a diabetic. Most of all I was a traveler in distress and profoundly tired. From the time I phoned them from the airport with limited funds to arriving exhausted the bent over backwards to help me. They squeezed myself and my dog into a room I could afford and the desk clerk personally seeing my exhaustion took my bags to my room. This is how all innkeeper's should operate. Bravo I was so impressed I wrote the CEO of BW International a letter of commendation. Oh yes my mother had just died but I never told them that. They saw I was exhausted and in a bind and just helped. By the way the room meant for pets was spotless

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank BDGates
Hello BDGates thank your for your kind works, and our sincere condolences on your loss.
middleton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stayed for a night , while my wife was on a conference in halifax. The property is on a sweet little lake in a great location within the city. It is pet friendly and their is a chocolate labrador retriever mascot who greets you in the lobby, it is cool to see the staff taking him for walks etc. The rooms are great, facilities, pool, fitness, etc, all top notch for a hotel of this caliber. I like this chain anywhere I travel. Great valu and consistent quality throughout all the hotels. This place has a good restaurant with convenient hours. Staff laid back and friendly, efficient.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank Ronald W
Hello Ronald W and thank you for your review. Cocoa looks forward to welcoming you back!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

This hotel was very clean. Friendly staff. Great amenities. Close to all shopping areas. The view of the lake was amazing to wake up to in the morning and also to watch the sun go down. There was a pool and the breakfast in the morning was amazing with a big selection including freash fruit.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Hello 859ronl and thanks for taking the time to share. We look forward to seeing you again.