Best Western Plus Chocolate Lake Hotel
  • Free Internet
Great 4.5/5
Great 4.5/5
1,397 results
All reviewsview of the lakegames roomlakeside grillhotel dogsmall lakehalifax shopping centrepool and hot tubpeggy's covefree parkingshort driveclose to downtownfree breakfasthot breakfastfront desk staffexcellent staynova scotiahotel restaurant
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 June 2014

One knows what to expect, more or less, when one chooses a hotel chain. This hotel is fine. It is located near Chocolate Lake. It adds to the charm especially if you plan to have a drink or eat breakfast on the terrasse. Don't expect to be near restaurants or other Halifax landmarks. The room was comfortable even if rather small. It was rather noisy thanks to the ventilation system. Otherwise, the room was clean and well appointed.
I would discourage you to eat at the hotel restaurant. I ordered a seafood chowder: lots of potatoes and not much else. When the waitress asked what I thought, I told her. She apologized and got me a new bowl of soup where the chef had quickly heated chunks of salmon and a couple of rubbery shrimps that were dumped in the same cream base.
It is a pefectly fine hotel particularly if you are only passing through.

Room Tip: If possible, get a room facing Chocolate lake.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
ChocolateLakeHotel, General Manager at Best Western Plus Chocolate Lake Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Hello demo51 and thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I am glad you were pleased with your room, and very sorry for your disappointment with the seafood chowder. I will be bringing these concerns to the Chef and we will re-evaluate the current recipe.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

All was great. As it usually is at Best Western hotels. Bed a tad hard. Breakfast, as they all tend to be, was just ok. I would recommend Best Western to everyone that is looking for a decent night's stay for a decent price. They have good promotions on on as regular basis.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Hello gordonw126 and thanks for your recommendation. We are glad to hear you are BW fan!!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Easy to get to and right on the edge of Chocolate Lake. Close to the harbor (about 10 minutes of driving). Our room was clean with nice decor and the bed was comfy but our walls were thin (could hear the hallway noise and the room beside us - or above us..couldn't tell). What I loved most was the breakfast we had - a buffet hot breakfast and it was delicious!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi TanzlyB and thank you so much for your review. We're thrilled you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to Chocolate Lake!

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Our stay at Best Western Chocolate Lake was something straight out of an episode of "Hotel Impossible". We must have stayed at 8 or 9 hotels across Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island during our 3 week road trip and this was the worst hotel that we stayed in.

First, the rooms are small , dated and boring. I asked the front desk for a Queen Suite with a Lake View and was upgraded for a small fee .. except the suite was facing the parking lot. The room itself was very small and badly laid out so that you kept bumping into furniture. The bedroom with 2 queens was so small that there was no space to set up our Baby's Pack N' Play in there.

Second- The staff at the front desk seems badly trained or just arrogant and unfriendly. I was struggling to get the luggage cart through the front door with all the baby luggage. My wife was pushing the baby stroller. The Front Desk just stared at us without offering or sending someone to help. In fact one of them laughed at us and said I should make more trips rather than try pushing the luggage cart.

Third-On our second day ,housekeeping did not clean our room.We left the room around noon and returned at 7pm to find this. I do understand that sometimes things get missed and this was not the end of the world. However, when a mistake happens, you expect the hotel to recognize this inconvenience , apologize and fix the issue and do whatever it takes to make sure you leave the hotel a happy customer. Unfortunately, when I called the front desk, I had the misfortune of interacting with the acting GM (Jill) who was rude, argumentative and had trouble controlling her temper. I would say that someone with these qualities should not be in the customer service business , let alone be the GM . Jill first asked me if this was the only problem I was having(Hmm.. yes the only problem ..I had a dirty room , no clean towels, trash cans full, bed not made up).. then she explained how the staff had mentioned in their notes that the privacy sign on our room was on . As I explained that the sign was not on the door, Jill's next excuse was that the sign must have fallen down and not pushed under the door properly confusing the cleaning staff. Once, I explained that this was also not the case, her next excuse was that the sign fell from the table in the room and the staff opened the door and got confused and left without cleaning the room.

After this frustrating conversation, she offered to come up and clean the room... this meant multiple trips.. one to scope out what was needed , next to get get 2 towels (no wash cloths because Jill did not know where these were kept)... next to get some more towels because a family of 3 with a 1 year old toddler probably needs more than 2 towels and we had to ask her for some more.Last but not the least , when I explaIned my frustration to her, she proceeded to tell me how they needed to train the staff and how she would email the head of housekeeping.(i wish someone would tell Jill that as a customer, I don't care whether you need to train the staff or send email to whoever, I paid for a room.. the room has not been cleaned, I am not happy with this experience and you need to make sure this is fixed instead of arguing and making excuses.). The last straw was when she stood there , her face red with anger, asking me if I was now happy that she had cleaned the room ...( hmm..what do you think ... you standing in my room at 8:30pm should answer the question).

Last- A couple of other small things... the front of the hotel has limited parking.. if you have children and/or a lot of luggage , this may be an issue. There is additional parking at the back but depending on the room location, it may be very inconvenient and as I indicated earlier, don't expect any help from the staff.

Halifax has many options in terms of hotels and I would have happily paid a little more if it meant that my 2 night stay was drama free and comfortable and I did not have to waste 2 hours arguing with incompetent staff who don't understand the concept of customer service. My advice to fellow travelers is to avoid this place and look elsewhere .There is no price for peace of mind and for a guest enjoying their vacation.

(and just to complete the experience, on checkout , no one asked me how my stay was or apologized for the experience.. the words as I remember them were "You are all paid up ..take care".)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank bohemianguy2001

Hello bohemianguy2001, and my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations. As the GM, I take your concerns very seriously and have followed up with our Front Desk Manager, Jill, and with our housekeeping department. I can assure you that what you experienced is not the standard and not in keeping with our promise to ensure every guest is happy with their stay at Chocolate Lake.

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

I liked everything about this hotel except for one thing: the thin walls. I could hear pretty much everything going on in the hall and the rooms beside and above me. I could also hear a lot of the traffic passing by outside, from our fifth floor room. Otherwise our stay was great. Rooms were well priced (even on the cheap side IMO). Rooms were clean and well appointed. Service was friendly. Breakfast was free and it was a small hot buffet instead of continental! Very much a plus in my books.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello Darnell B and thank you for sharing your comments with us. I have to agree with you that our hot breakfast is definitely a nice change from the typical continental that some hotels offer! We look forward to welcoming you back to Chocolate Lake.