“Where Halifax's Little Italy Should Begin”
Review of Cafe Chianti

Cafe Chianti
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Chianti is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 733 Restaurants in Halifax
Price range: US$16 - US$28
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: South End
Cross street: Harvey Street
Description: Enjoy superb Italian cuisine in our stylish Old World setting. Large selection of fresh seafood, pasta, veal, steak, lamb and duck dishes. 2 Separate dining rooms available for private parties up to 65, extensive wine cellar. Proudly serving you for over 30 years!
Bedford, Canada
“Where Halifax's Little Italy Should Begin”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I've had wonderful meals at Halifax's gem for several years. Special occasions, work Xmas parties, casual lunches. Always fantastic. A few years back there was a halibut special on the lunch menu - top 3 halibut dishes of my life. I can't remember the logistics...risotto? Parm crusted? Perhaps. I just remember being in heaven. And then it happened. How can this charming, spacious, local favorite resto get any better? I won't keep u in suspense. Terry and Simone came to town. Ok. I am a bit biased as we fell in love with them from their years in Lunenburg. Simone's attention to all details and impeccable somollier expertise take everything to another level. And Terry. Where to begin (how much space do I have to gush?). Simply put - his flavour profile, creative techniques and culinary instincts are truly second to none. Every dish I have had of his instantly becomes my new addiction. Based on the current menu - I would overwhelmingly recommend the worlds best calamari, caprese (it's just gotta have pesto - u will never be the same) Caesar salade, and oh my...squash ravioli with lobster marscapone crema. Any of the above will change your life. So there it is. Of course all staff I have encountered at CC are fantastic. Not overbearing but attentive and anticipates every need. Halifax is so lucky top call CC our own. Just go - i would never lead you astray. I take Italian dining tres seriously.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank janeramma

“Amazing Italian place”
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

What an amazing Italian restaurant in downtown Halifax

We tried the Bruchetta as a starter which was amazing

Then my wife got the dinner special seafood platter which included Haddock, Salmon and Lobster

I got the Margareta Pizza which is my standard in comparing among different Italian places

We finished by dessert made of Crepes. The espresso I've got was wonderful

Highly recommended ..

Toronto, Canada
“Fabulous Dinner”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Three friends and I had a late dinner here and thoroughly enjoyed our experience. I had the spinach salad, the pan seared pork tenderloin and grilled scallops in preserved lemon and herb butter sauce, with lemon cheesecake for dessert. The food was fresh and perfectly prepared. Our server was attentive without intruding on our meal or conversation. A perfect evening.

• Visited October 2013
Dartmouth, Canada
“What a difference a Chef makes!”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We were here in the past but it was nothing special. Now that Chef Terry is here from Lunenburg,
It is night and day. The food we had was excellent. Lamb, spaghetti, calamari, etc. very good.
This is now one of the best restaurants in Halifax.
The service is lacking and has to be taken up a notch. This is the only area that needs work.
Otherwise, Excellent!

• Visited March 2014
Halifax, NS
“Pleasant date night option”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

My husband and I chose this restaurant for our date night. We had a nice table by the window and the restaurant was not overly busy when we were first seated. I ordered the lamb appetizer on a friend's recommendation but was disappointed. The lamb was overcooked and the olives in the sauce were overwhelming. My husband had the calamari and loved it. We shared the gnocchi, which was the best dish of the evening. It was tender and the marinara sauce was fresh and flavourful. I highly recommend it. The service started off great; attentive but not oppressive.

As the evening wore on, the restaurant got very busy. The noise level increased and navigating the dining room to get to the washroom was a challenge. The service fell off a bit as the restaurant got busy. I ordered the striploin steak as a main dish, which was a mistake. It was served rare, to the point of almost raw. I usually choose medium rare, but I don't remember being asked. My husband had the chicken, which tasted good, but was very chewy.

The raw steak and crowded restaurant didn't agree with me after our mains, so we asked for the bill and left. We went to Sweet Hereafter for takeout dessert to enjoy at home. We might try this restaurant again on a less busy night or for lunch, and make different choices from the menu. I think we might have just hit an off night. I'd definitely go back for the gnocchi!

• Visited January 2014