“One of the best restaurants in Canada...”

Chives Canadian Bistro
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown Halifax
Cross street: Blowers and Salter
Description: Casual upscale, farm to table, chef inspired dinning.
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We had a wonderful experience at Chive. It defines "Canadian" cuisine, using local ingredients, traditional regional dishes and incorporating multi-cultural influences. I had the crab raviolli and pork belly and Newfoundland cod, with the suggested Canadian wine pairiings. Both were fresh, prepared with skill and tasted fantastic!

The staff was well trained and professional, atmosphere cozy and the entire experience was wonderful. I would go back any time I'm on the east coast.

1  Thank BrWayne

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We enjoyed dinner here with a party of four people. We dressed business casual, and it was more than adequate as the atmosphere is definitely relaxed. Our waiter was excellent, being both jovial and helpful. We had an excellent bottle of Benjamin Bridge Tidal Bay to go with our meal.

We had a wonderful chowder (a special for the day), duck, roast chicken, a very large lamb pot roast, which was all finished off with a banana bread pudding.

2  Thank Grufnik
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I recently had dinner at Chives Canadian Bistro with a friend. We really enjoyed our food and wine. The prices are on the high side but quality is there. The menu is not very large but sufficient. There is a selection of local wines and food.
The service is excellent. The space itself is a bit dark and not the greatest, but it is okay.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The food is delicious, and beyond the norm by far. I would highly recommend this restaurant. The chef is engaged and visible. The servers are very friendly and helpful. But above all, the food is creative, well crafted and locally inspired.

Not worth missing.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

My husband and I were recently in Halifax for our first visit. We had wanted to find a nice place to eat before our show at the theatre and this was the perfect spot. It was a great distance from our hotel, and from the theatre. The food is on a whole different level! I did some research about Chives before we got there and was SO excited about the seasonal menus, and the fact they grow a lot of their own produce, and they use mostly local ingredients. The idea and combinations of food/dishes was just exquisite. Everything we had was delishious, and I would return any time I was in Halifax again. It was upscale food without being pretentious. And the size of your entrees are perfect. We were full, but didn't feel overstuffed. The only complaint I might have is the seating tends to be a little closer together. I felt like the table next to us was eating with us. It was a little odd, but we were so focused on our food it wasn't a big deal. I would recommend this place to anyone who appreciates food, and doesn't just eat it to survive.