“One of the Best Restaurants in Halifax”

Chives Canadian Bistro
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown Halifax
Cross street: Blowers and Salter
Description: Casual upscale, farm to table, chef inspired dinning.
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This restaurant deserves it's perfect rating. We absolutely love it here. I took my husband here as a treat and we had the best meal ever. I had the steak and my husband the lamb . Both were fabulous. We had planned on going again tonight but didn't reserve in time and couldn't get a 7pm reservation. Next time we'll book earlier.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Food was excellent and full of flavour. Wine is expensive so opted for one glass only. I think $16.00 for a nine ounce glass of middle of the road wine is outrageous.
We had lamb roast, mouthwatering and super tender. Good portion size. The restaurant is noisy, and wide open for the most part. Not a romance destination. We had desserts, one maple brûlée, that was very good and a rhubarb tiramisu that was ok,but not wonderful.
The waiter Nick was very attentive and even insisted he call a cab for us.
For 2 entrees, 1 beer, 1 wine, 2 desserts $110.98 plus tip. I found it expensive. I had the 5oz wine for $9.
The servers are dressed well. Male servers are in shirt and tie with dress pants, with an long apron.
A comment about it being a bank, do not sit at the table with the open vault door beside you.
Overall, the food being the most important element, it was delicious. I doubt there is a solution for the noise.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Located in an old downtown bank branch ( vault and all) this restaurant is original and serves terrific local fresh meat, fish and produce and local wines. ( good international wine list too) They acknowledge their suppliers in cute graphics along the top of the wall, and it is fun to guess where each one is, especially if you are not a local.
The chef has three books to his credit , all recipes focused on local products. Kind of nice touch if you want to try a dish at home.
We had a great seafood chowder, with fish, pork, and vegetarian main meals, all of which were delicious. Desserts good too, all homemade, and one was topped with yummy coconut and kaffir lime ice cream, an original. I like that they tell you what is in their sauces and meals so you can avoid a certain flavour if you wish. There was however nothing I would not try.
Service was excellent even though there were two very large groups dining there that night. ( a trifle noisy as there is little to absorb sound) but was not a bother.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We had a wonderful experience at Chive. It defines "Canadian" cuisine, using local ingredients, traditional regional dishes and incorporating multi-cultural influences. I had the crab raviolli and pork belly and Newfoundland cod, with the suggested Canadian wine pairiings. Both were fresh, prepared with skill and tasted fantastic!

The staff was well trained and professional, atmosphere cozy and the entire experience was wonderful. I would go back any time I'm on the east coast.

1  Thank BrWayne
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We enjoyed dinner here with a party of four people. We dressed business casual, and it was more than adequate as the atmosphere is definitely relaxed. Our waiter was excellent, being both jovial and helpful. We had an excellent bottle of Benjamin Bridge Tidal Bay to go with our meal.

We had a wonderful chowder (a special for the day), duck, roast chicken, a very large lamb pot roast, which was all finished off with a banana bread pudding.

2  Thank Grufnik