“Excellent from start to finish ” 5 of 5 bubbles

Chives Canadian Bistro
Ranked #6 of 710 Restaurants in Halifax
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown Halifax
Cross street: Blowers and Salter
Whitby, Canada
“Excellent from start to finish ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Came here with my husband for a dinner - didn't have reservations but the host made it work and made room for us - very glad he did because we couldn't ask for a better meal.

Everything they make is on premises, hand made, and locally sourced.
I had the pei beef 2 ways - perfectly done.
Husband had the Nova Scotia lamb and it said it was the best he's ever tasted in his life!

Too bad there was no room for dessert!

Thank you chives! It was a great ending to our vacation in Nova Scotia

Toronto, Canada
“Yummy restaurant, minor hiccups.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

We were quite excited to dine at Chives, as it had come highly recommended by a few friends of mine who had gone to school in Halifax.

As we walked in, we noted that the ambiance was quite nice and staff was very friendly. It wasn't very busy yet, although we do know that it can get busy as a reservation was recommended.

I opted for two appetizers: Lobster Gnudi "a la king" and Alantic Seafood Chowder. Both were amazing! Both were ample portions, and together created a great meal. The gnudi was perfectly made, and served with a huge amount of lobster and sweet peas in a delicious sauce, in a nice dish. The chowder was unreal. It was both very satisfying, yet light at the same time. It also had a large amount of seafood in it. Both were unreal.

My mom had the special of the day, which was the halibut with some sort of lemon vinaigrette and seasonal vegetables. The only reason I don't give this restaurant a full five stars, is because the lemon vinaigrette really overpowered the dish. When she took her first bite she literally recoiled. I didn't believe her until I took a bite as well. We mentioned it to the server, who was very nice about it, but also stated that it was supposed to be this way. I honestly think someone just really didn't properly taste the vinaigrette before plating up the dish--I wouldn't be surprised if they had complaints about it that night.

We also had a sampling of the cheddar biscuits which were delicious (served in a cute, paper bag), and I had the pumpking bread pudding (which was unreal!).

All in all, this restaurant was a great pick. Despite the minor hiccup with the halibut, you can tell that the chef has a great flair for combining flavours, and that the ingredients are fresh and delicious.

Although it is a bit on the pricier side, we felt the prices were justified for the quality of food and the amount of seafood we received with each meal!

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Sandie K
Halifax, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Simply amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Nothing bad can be said about Chives. We went on a Tuesday night and it was packed. Everything from the seafood chowder to the lamb was perfect. The buttermilk biscuit they give us was to die for. I would go back there just for the biscuit. The service is also very friendly and the waiters are good at pairing wine with every single dish. It was simply amazing.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Camille_the_foodie
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Excellent dining in Halifax and value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Halifax has a lot of dining options and we are happy to have chosen Chives among all the options available. The food was made out of fresh ingredients and extremely tasteful. My husband took the chowder which did not disappoint and was full of delicious seafood. I had the snow crab spring roll which were a little small but full of flavor. For entrees, the lamb was to die for. Maybe the best lamb we've had in north america and the cod was perfectly cooked, slightly breaded and served on a bed of quinoa salad. The service was top notch and our waiter kept filling our water glasses which is always a plus when it comes to attention to details. The biscuits are also worth the detour, served with molasses in a brown paper bag. Overall, highly recommended and one of the best dinner we've had out in a long time, reasonably priced too.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank MissYGlobeTrotter
Texas
“Nice finish to a cold rainy day”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

After a very rainy and chilly June day, we had a comforting meal at Chives. The hot seafood chowder was full of seafood and very flavorful. My husband had a tender lamb shoulder dish and I had duck breast with risotto. The lamb was especially delicious. Service was attentive. If we travel to Halifax again, we will return.

Visited June 2014