“Great dinner”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown Halifax
Cross street: Blowers and Salter
Description: Casual upscale, farm to table, chef inspired dinning.
Wolfe Island, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great dinner”
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

We had a very quiey and nice dinner last week in this place with our guests from Vencouver.It was a great experiance from A to Z.My Salmon was cooked perfectly and my wifes vegeterian dish was excellent.Great selection of Nova Scotia wines.

1 Thank lorenzociao

Toronto, Canada
“Top Restaurant In Downtown Halifax!”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Chives was recommended to me by a co-worker who used to live in Halifax. I was not disappointed.

Everything was excellent, starting with our cheerful and conversant server. The food was incredible. I had the lamb, which was soft as butter and fell off the bone. My guest enjoyed the chicken was was flavourful and tender. The biscuits with molasses and butter were a quaint and welcome starter.

I would wholeheartedly recommend Chives to anyone looking for a quality and pleasurable meal. Just make sure you reserve ahead as it gets busy!

Canada
“They Do it Right”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We were lucky to secure a table on a busy Sunday night in August. We had to wait for a late booking. We were seated in the vault - a lovely table for two hidden away - we were in luck. Tara-Lynn was our server and even though we were in vault and out of sight we never felt we were forgotten. We shared a crab cake - one of the best I have ever had - and I had the cod, my husband had the halibut. There was a slight issue with one of our meals but that was resolved quickly, professionally and with apology. We do acknowledge that restaurants are run by humans and mistakes happen, it is the resolution that makes the difference. I had the sour cherry bread pudding for dessert. Awesome. We left full, happy and felt we had had a great experience. Thank you.

Toronto, Canada
“Restaurant should be called No Walk Ins!”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We were travelling for ten days on the East Coast and had eaten in many fine dining restaurants without reservations and we were always pleasantly accommodated. Not at Chives! We were rudely told they did not except walk ins and we should try their sister restaurant because they did. We were made to feel we were not good enough to eat there. Only two or three tables were occupied. We will never go back to Chives, with their adittude I'm sure it wouldn't be a pleasant experience.

1 Thank John13251
chefdarren, Owner at Chives Canadian Bistro, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
We are sorry that you somehow felt snubbed!

Although we advertise in all travel guides, in our print ads, and on line that reservations are recommended, we usually, even during the hight of tourist season, set a table or two aside for walk ins to try and accommodate those who did not plan ahead.

Although your perception was that the restaurant was nearly empty, I assure you that we were fully booked for both seatings that night and the host would not have recommended our sister establishment unless he was certain we could not find you a table at Chives. We feel that by giving guests, that we are not able to accommodate an alternative, which is only steps away, to be an effort to keep any inconvenience to a minimum. We am sorry that you left with any other perception.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Expected much more”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Just had a really mediocre meal at Chives. After all the glowing reviews, we had reasonably high expectations, but, unfortunately, our experience was average and nowhere near exceptional. From the appetizers, to the main course, to the service, to the desert, it felt like the restaurant is merely going through the motions. There was nothing memorable or impressive about any part of the experience. We've had several good meals in Halifax, so this was disappointing.

• Visited August 2014
We are very sorry that we did not meet your expectations!

We work diligently, and with great effort and pride in what we do on a daily basis. We are happy to say that in the great majority of our reviews, we meet or exceed our guests expectations. If you would be so kind, I would invite you to write me personally, to express your thoughts on where we may be able to improve our guest's overall experience, and where we didn't meet the mark on your visit.

Thank you for your feedback.