“Above and beyond”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Halifax, Canada
“Above and beyond”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

We recently had a family birthday outing at Curry Village in Halifax - our first visit! Our group was mixed - some never had curry, some like it hot, some don't but the owner of the restaurant was completely understanding and prepared amazing dishes which were perfect for everyone. The attention to our needs and humor, coupled with the cozy atmosphere of the restaurant made this a special evening that we will remember and hope soon to repeat.

• Visited January 2014

Montreal
“Average at best”
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

I had; papadam, onion bhaji, chicken madras, plain naan and pilau rice.

Pap and onion bhaji were very good. Naan was ok, rice too greasy. The chicken was burn your mouth hot surrounded by some yellowish sauce.

The main came too fast, I was not finished the entree. There was barely anyone there so...

It's not the UK...

quebec
“Horrible tasteless food”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Longing for curry, visiting Halifax, on the recommendation of the hotel and in spite of the warning from an unknown stranger from whom I asked directions, I ventured into the alley, through the side door and up the stairs to this Indian restaurant. The decor was tacky in a not great way and lacked the sparkling cleanliness that I associate with good curry houses. The food was bland as if the cook had not meant that the vegetables and meat were meant to be cooked in the sauces. The rice was tastless cheap white rice cooked in the Chinese style. The samosas were heavy and flavourless. Altogether this was a disappointing waste of money and time. I urge you to avoid Curry Village.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank qcquebec
Shubenacadie, Canada
“Distinctly average with questionable authenticity...”
Reviewed 20 September 2013

The chicken dahnsak was the most convincing dish served during our visit to Curry Village. The pilau rice was average, as was the naan bread, but the chicken korma which I ordered for my girlfriend (her first curry) was awful. It was essentially chicken in a tomato puré with some bizarre accompanying flavours that I can't seem to describe, there wasn't even the slightest hint of the rich coconut or creaminess that most would expect from this dish. The other major complaint would be the lack of popadoms or dips which are traditionally offered upon arrival, if not served without request.
To summarise, if you're looking for somewhere to eat, with no particular kind of cuisine in mind, then I'm sure Curry Village would serve a purpose, after all, the quantity was ample. However, if you have a hankering for authentic Indian flavours, then there is a strong possibility you may be disappointed. I will continue my search for a quality Indian restaurant in the area, and report on tripadvisor if/when I find one...

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank Dafs82
Dartmouth, Canada
“Great food, Great experience!”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I have been here multiple times and have enjoyed the food every single time. The food tastes great, is authentic and ranges from mildly spicy to very spicy depending on your preference. I would recommend this place.

• Visited September 2013