“Fabulous Meal in Halifax”

Da Maurizio Dining Room
Reserve with OpenTable
Da Maurizio Dining Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 710 Restaurants in Halifax
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown Halifax
Cross street: Salter
Toronto, Canada
“Fabulous Meal in Halifax”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

What a find. Had the fixed price menu and it didn't disappoint. Started with the Insalata Romana - very flavorful. Ask them to put half the dressing or on the side. You better like garlic. The Penne Bolognese was superb with the veal sauce. To top it off the meringue with lemon curd and berries was a good suggestion from the staff. My friend had the gnocchi, which apparently was cheesy and smooth. The chocolate mousse was also a hit.

• Visited November 2013

Knoxville
“Disappointingly Average”
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

We had read all the rave reviews so when we were looking for a really nice place we headed here. Ambiance was lovely, and the prosciutto-wrapped date appetizer was very good. But the prime rib of pork was tough. The mixed fish carpaccio was a huge disappointment. Asked for tea and got a garden variety Lipton tea bag and not even a refill of hot water. Dessert of pumpkin tart was smothered in a bourbon glaze even though we specifically requested that the glaze be left off (and the waiter assured us this could be done). Service was poor all night. We spent $150 for what we just described (no alcohol at all). At best the dinner might have been worth half of that. We do not recommend it.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank ucianteater
Victoria Capital Regional District, Canada
“Best meal I've had in Halifax since the Maple closed”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We were looking for a nice place to treat ourselves to a fancy dinner, and we found it.
This is one of the best meals I've had in Halifax.

I highly recommend the goat cheese-stuffed dates and the foie gras appetizers. I also had the pasta with braised rabbit, which was good. The appetizer portion was more than enough. For dessert I ordered the trio of sorbets, which were delicious.

I found the portions to be a little large, but when I read the reviews people complained they were too small, so better to err on the large side.

Service and food were excellent, but expect to pay the price. With 2 appetizers, 2 mains, a dessert and wine, our bill came to over $175. I think the price is reasonable for what you get.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Jennifer B
“Unreal Food Paired with Poor Service”
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

Having the second spot on trip advisor we had to check this place out. I must say both my wife's pasta dish and mine were absolutely amazing. Now, the major issue I had was with the service. It's as if the owner was a former fast food employee who's method is to get people in and out as fast as possible.

Never have I ever been to a high end restaurant that had us in and out in 36 min! We were trying to celebrate our one year anniversary and could barley keep a conversation going without being interrupted by the server who wanted to move us on to the next section of the meal.

The way I had seen other tables being treated I got the idea that you were treated differently if they knew you. We sat around a few regulars that were getting the service I thought we would be receiving.

Yes, this place has amazing food, but honestly not so amazing that the service can be this half assed.

For two meals (pasta) and two drinks we spent $103 +tip.

FYI the prices for the pastas are appetizer size, not main dishes.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Phil P
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
“Small plates, but very delicious”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Not sure it was worth the cost, but was a good evening out. My main of gnocchi was delicious, but I found my appetizer and dessert disappointing. I had the foie gras appetizer which was decadent but tiny for the price. My tiramisu was 3/4 whipped cream and difficult to eat as it had little substance. Great atmosphere for couples.

• Visited August 2013