“Needed a sushi fix”

Momoya Momotaro Foods Limited
Price range: US$12 - US$28
Cuisines: Japanese
Neighbourhood: Downtown Halifax
Description: Established in 2015 Aug, previously owned by Japanese couple, have been running over 18 years.
Reviewed 28 August 2012

A small restaurant in an area that doesn't seem to get too busy in the evening, but found this restaurant while out for a walk .

The food was reasonably priced (for sushi) and was tasty.

Reviewed 21 August 2012

We've gone to several sushi restaurants in HRM and no one beats Momoya's service, price, and food. When we want our sushi fix, we end up at Momoya. The service there are 2nd to none. The people there will help you through the menu with a smile. For us (dinner for 4) usually costs $150 at other sushi restaurants and we're "ok" full. At Momoya it costs us maybe $100 and we're extremely full. The maki rolls are great. We usually order spicy grilled eel, salmon, tuna, and dynamite rolls along with a main course. I've tried their green tea, red bean, taro, and black sesame ice cream. They're all delicious and homemade. I know they're not your usual chocolate, vanilla or strawberry, but give it a world and you'll enjoy it. I mean you're already there to eat raw fish, why not take that one extra step and finish it off with a great desert?

1  Thank shredded
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Great atmosphere and food plus friendly owners makes for a powerful combination. I invite critics to compare the salmon teriyaki, avocado rolls and spinach ohitashi with other Japanese restaurants in Halifax, or elsewhere. Of course, a fair comparison must also compare price.

The owners are very nice people. They brighten my day when we had a few minutes to chat and she talked about her grandchildren and family back home.

It is small and lunches are crowded so if you want a table for two or if you mind waiting then I suggest that you order take-out or eat slightly off the business meal hours.

1  Thank travelhoundIndia
Reviewed 2 September 2010

a few days ago i stopped in with my boyfriend for lunch, we both got the teryaki chicken special, everything tasted really good, so i decided to get dessert. i got mango ice cream, and the ice cream was delicious until i found a maggot in it . i told the lady who works there and she tried to convince me it was mango peeling when it clearly was a maggot, but she didnt charge me for the ice cream.

Reviewed 28 September 2008

Momoya is close to work, so I used to go fairly often for my sushi fix. The last couple of times, the fish was just not fresh and for me that is inexcusable for a sushi restaurant. I really hope they shape up because the people are very nice, but I won't be back until it is getting better reviews.