“Great Scotch Selection”

The Press Gang Restaurant & Oyster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
The Press Gang Restaurant & Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 720 Restaurants in Halifax
Price range: US$23 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Grand Parade & City Hall
Description: The Press Gang, located in the heart of downtown Halifax, is one of the city’s oldest historic stone structures dating back to 1759. Boasting a formal dining experience like no other in the city, The Press Gang features an extensive menu with a rich array of exquisite seafood, meat, game and poultry dishes to satisfy every palate. Enjoy a vast selection of fine wines and world- class cocktails.
San Diego, California, USA
“Great Scotch Selection”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

It's hard to find a place that has all the Scotch you could ever want, but that's The Press Gang. I only had the calamari, which was decent, but I didn't walk in for the food. I was there for the Scotch and I was not disappointed. It's a little pricey, but the bartender was helpful and gave some great suggestions. I will return.

Mississauga, Canada
“You must eat here if in Halifax”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Make reservations because the place is busy!
This is one of the best meals I`ve had at a restaurant. I ordered the scallops dish and it was amazing. Several of my companions said the same about their meals.
The restaurant is located in a historical building and has a very cozy atmosphere.
I recommend eating here to anyone who is travelling to Halifax.
Our food was a little slow to arrive but we were a big group and the restaurant was packed the night we were there.

Montreal, Canada
“A highly recommended place”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Everything was perfect. The waiter was extremely competent, knowledgeable and fun. The food was excellent and the crèmes brulées to die for. We thoroughly enjoyed their original cocktails. The music in the background was so,so nice. The musicians were great and understood that in this kind of restaurant people might want to talk to each others. Therefore the music was there but not overwhelming. We loved the place. I would go back anytime.

Ottawa, Canada
“Good but not phenomenal”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This has always been one of my favourite restaurants in Halifax. The setting is still lovely, and the food quite good. But, for these prices, the food really should knock one's socks off - which is it does not. Not sure if there has been a changeover with the chefs since my last visit? Or a change in their supplier of seafood? We were in Nova Scotia for a week, and I had scallops just about everywhere we went - the ones here were fine, but not the best we had (although the priciest). This will sound picky, and I re-iterate that the food was very good - but recognise you are paying prices on par with top restaurants and not getting quite that level of food. The service was efficient and pleasant, although it got a bit amusing/annoying that the (female) wait staff made eye contact only with the young man in our group. Detracted from the professionalism of what you would expect for these prices.

• Visited May 2014
Halifax, Canada
“A real gem”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

If you are looking for fine dining and beautiful historic surroundings, try the lovely cozy atmosphere of the Press Gang. A familiar spot for some, and a must try for others! You won't be disappointed!

• Visited August 2013