“Niche”

Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown Halifax
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Stopped here on our last day in Nova Scotia. Weren't in the mood for seafood anymore, had enough, lol. Just wanted a good burger, and we weren't disappointed. My husband said it was one of the best burgers he had - a Cowboy burger with the burger, philly steak, a fried egg and bbq sauce. I had a blue cheese burger, which was awesome. Very busy place, looks like a lot of locals? Very good service, despite being very busy. Very happy with our dinner.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

I and my family had breakfast here only because of their affiliation with the Four Points Sheraton. We got 2 free full breakfasts with our stay, and despite this, the breakfast at Niche cost over $40! We sat down and waited 15 minutes for someone to serve us a coffee. There were only 15 people in the place, so being busy wasn't the excuse. They had no kids breakfasts, so had to order adult breakfasts. They would not allow our kids substitute milk for coffee for the breakfasts, so milk alone cost us an additional $12. My eggs were overdone. If you're a family, there's much better value and way better service to be had in the downtown core.

2  Thank Rob H
Reviewed 26 August 2013

The Niche is attached to the Four Points Sheraton ,so we walked over for a glass of wine. They were very busy, friendly staff,food going by looked great so we said "lets eat here". We really enjoyed it. Fish was fresh ,mashed potatoes hot, home cut fries delicious. Well priced and will go back.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

My husband and I discovered Niche several years ago, and up until now it was one of our favorite "date night" spots. Unfortunately, within the past year or so they've added 25 large screen TVs (playing sports) which is an absolutely ridiculous number of TVs for a restaurant this size. The "date night" mood has effectively been killed - there's no possible way to ignore this many huge TVs. About 10 of them are lined up side-to-side as an uninterrupted wall of TVs. As of the time of this review their website shows pictures from before the TV installation and isn't an accurate reflection of the atmosphere.

Other than the TVs - we've generally found the food to be good, and the menu interesting. The Prosciutto Bocconcini Crostini is especially good. Beware though - several times we've discovered dishes to be spicy without any warning on the menu. Service has also generally been good, with the exception of our most recent visit (when it was indifferent, at best, and missed several key marks).

I'm sad to have to rate Niche "poor" as up until now this was one of my favourites. If you're a fan of sports you may have no problem with the TVs, but I'd recommend going somewhere else for a date.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

Ate outside under the tent. It was one of the hottest days of the summer so niche had no control over that, however, the volume of the rugby game on the large screen was too loud. The food was good but nothing I would have returned for because of all the other restaurants so near by I wanted to try. The best part of the afternoon was the beer specials which had the best priced US beer found in the area. They also had specials on Canadian beer, which was equally as good.