“Funky”

Ranked #6 of 12 Pictou B&B and Inns
Mississauga, Canada
“Funky”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

For all of you hippies and wannabes, I do NOT mean funky in a positive way. Funky here comes in two stages: 1) SMELL, and 2) decor. Let me begin by telling you about the smell of the room. It was a combination of wet dog, mildew and I don't know what- perhaps a little "eau de Pictou"! It wasn't "in your face", but it was prevalent and persistent. I obviously noticed it, as soon as I walked in the door of the room. Immediately, I opened the windows, unpacked what I needed to unpack and then went out to tour the town (more on this in a separate review of the Town of Pictou, and it NEVER went away. However, since this was the only reasonably priced hostelry in town, I remained.
I now move on to decor. The main reception area is very pleasant, and decorated in a Chinese motif- though a bit over the top. However, the reception desk is greatly overcrowded with tourism brochures, etc., so much so, that it was virtually unusable for its intended purpose. Therefore, reception, AT reception, is limited to greeting the client. Client and booking details are relayed at another desk in the guest lounge. While much more pleasant surroundings, this seemed like and odd way to conduct financial and other assorted hotel transactions, but it seems to work for them. At the time I booked n, the lounge was empty, however, had it been occupied by other guests, I would NOT have liked to relay private information (home address, phone, etc.).
The ensuite washroom was in short- disgraceful! The floor had obviously not been cleaned since AT LEAST the last guest and, judging by the quantity of loose hair on the floor around the tub, it had likely been longer. The hot/cold water shut-offs for the sink were badly oxidized and corroded. The nickel plating was no longer visible on them, as they had become completely green and badly pitted, which gives very poor visual appeal. If the toilet had been any lower to the ground, or closer to the wall, it would have been outside. All of the bathroom fixtures were very outdated in style and very badly stained.
"Continental breakfast" consisted of coffee or tea, DIY toast, and one type only of cereal. The dining room was staffed by one lady, who was more interested in discussing her family history with guests, than she was in doing her job. I saw that coffee service would not be forthcoming, so I went to get it myself. This, however was not to be, and I was told by the dining room lady, that she would bring it to me. And so continued the wait. The telling of her life story was much more important, than doing her simple task of looking after her guests. It's only coffee and I don't mind getting it myself, so to be told to sit and wait for someone else to serve- it on their own sweet time, is highly objectionable!! To add insult to injury, a very neat sign hung in the dining room, “Continental breakfast is free. Gratuities accepted.” Accepted for what? NOT having done your job? And it’s hardly “free”? I paid for it in the cost of my room! Could a local from the village just wander in and help themselves (due to lack of service)? I very much doubt it. The irony of their statement is obviously lost on the perpetrator of the begging sign, as well as those who condone its presence.
One thing that the Braeside Inn has going for it though, is that it is close to everything in town. Pictou being the small town that it is though, everything is close to everything else.
If you are considering staying here- consider somewhere else for a little more money. It will be worth it, not having to experience the funky and rundown Braeside Inn.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank GardnerWest-Bound

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Braeside Inn and were so pleased that we did. It is conveniently located near the Quay Hector, which is a must-see stop, even if you don't have any Scottish ancestors. The inn is charming and lovingly cared for. Our room was sparkling clean and comfortable, with the king-size bed decorated with Nova Scotia's tartan. The dining room is lovely, too. The innkeepers were very kind, and we enjoyed chatting with them and learning more about the inn and the town of Pictou. We would definitely stayhere again!

Room Tip: Ask the innkeeper to call for dinner reservations at nearby Pictou Lodge.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I messed up our booking but hosts were kind enough to accomodate us at short notice.....this was tremendous as we had just ridden almost 200 miles on the Harley & we were beat,,,!!! AND the host UPGRADED us at no extra charge.....Clean , comfortable rooms & very comfortable bed..... also welcoming to Motorcycle riders ( there were 5 other couples in another group).....Delicious breakfast........will stay here on my next trip to Pictou

1 Thank Denzil D
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Very nice and charming. Location is great. Yes, a bit old but it is part of the charm. Very quiet and clean. Breakfast was continental but in a very nice dining room. All I wanted for a short stay. Very near from PEI ferry.

1 Thank Jean-Philippe M
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

When we walked in the door, I was taken by how pretty the rooms were. Old fashioned came to mind. Our room was comfortable-the ultimate test-we slept well. It was spotless. The AC worked well. At first, I sat on the bed trying to figure out the faint sulfurous smell. Then I remembered the TA post about the pulp mill. Problem solved or at least understood. It wasn't such a bother. Now on to breakfast-it was adequate. Sometimes at home I just eat cereal and milk with fruit but for 120./ night at a place that calls itself an inn, I expect a little more-like a banana for the cereal and at least cold hard boiled eggs. I wouldn't mind staying again, but I might compare with other places in town.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Staff treated us like gold. We booked our room late and we were only able to secure one nights lodgings but the day we checked out the staff let us park our Harley on their grounds and use their facilities to change and freshen up the next day. This allowed us to spend two very comfortable days at the festival. During the Friday night fireworks, our patronage secured us access to the Hector Quay (private fenced area) and gave us the best seat in the house for the nightime aerial display and the fireworks. The breakfast was continental but I was treated like royalty, their staff in the kitchen ran miles to look after the patrons and made sure my cofee was hot and full the whole time. (hard to do as I drink 7 or 8 cups of coffee at breakfast). Great location, great staff, see you next year.

Room Tip: Having a room facing the parking lot let me check on my bike from time to time. Very convenient.
Stony Plain, Canada
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My wife and I enjoyed a quiet and comfortable night at this inn. It was early season and we were the only guests but all amenities were available to us. As long as you can handle some stairs this is a fine place for the weary traveller. With a continental breakfast as early as 7:30 we were well on our way by 8:15.
G. Clark from Alberta

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Grant C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pictou
Travelodge Suites New Glasgow
The Lionstone Inn
The Lionstone Inn
#2 of 3 in Pictou
The Pictou Puffin Bed and Breakfast

Been to Braeside Inn? Share your experiences!