“Big rooms, good location”
Review of Customs House Inn

Customs House Inn
Ranked #9 of 12 Pictou B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Big rooms, good location”
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Rooms were very large and clean. Location was great. Service was okay, we could not get the ceiling fan working and kept trying to call the front desk but no one answered.

This may be petty, but I found it really annoying because there was a hand written note from housekeeping saying that should we need anything to let them know. But housekeeping did not leave any contact information, and front desk did not answer their phone. Don't leave a note like that if it is not genuine.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I'm a little embarrassed to say I didn't want to stay here because of where this B&B sat in the review status. I've sworn by trip advisor as a travel consultant for years and when in the hotel industry as well but this was an absolute delight. It was a long weekend and we did not have a lot of options. We literally booked it on the ferry from PEI and were so grateful that we had when we pulled in because there were people being turned away! We had taken the last room. I was delightfully surprised at the room we had, ground floor which was great as we had too much luggage with us. (No elevator but certainly not unusual in a B&B) What really impressed me was that Doug,our host, was phoning around for this couple that had missed out. (In my book that is above and beyond the call of duty!)
Breakfast was a large selection of cereal, bread for toast, fresh fruit, coffee, tea, juice.
The only comment one could make was hearing people's footsteps above ,however, I learned long ago everything in Canada/USA is made of wood and you won't escape that anywhere. (Either struggle with the stairs or put up with heavy-footed neighbours) Really enjoyed this place.
Thank you!

Room Tip: Accidentally clicked swimming pool which this place does not have,nor room service! Instead of leav...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 224Karin
Dubbo, Australia
Reviewed 17 August 2013

The Customs House Inn was chosen for us as part of our touring package of Nova Scotia. Upon arrival the Inn wasn't much to look at (I should have known not to judge the book by it's cover). As soon as you walk in it is was spacious, comfortable and clean. Our room had a kitchenette as well as a spa bath. It was so quiet and you couldn't hear the other guests. We had the best night sleep in ages. We loved our stay.

The continental breakfast was simple but great.

The location was spot on - a short walk to the main street, restaurants, wharf and museums.

Doug, the Innkeeper was lovely and loved to have a chat.

Room Tip: We had room 2F which faced the front and side of the building ( we even had a view of the water).
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MaryFrancesRoman
Peachland
Reviewed 30 September 2012

I chose this title because I believe that the place has potential but that the owners still have some way to go to add the finishing touches to make it a B&B that will see repeat business.
When we arrived in Pictou we had some trouble finding the place. When one approaches from the street close to the marina, the inn has a "boarded-up" look. The sign pointing out that this is the inn is small and difficult to make out. The front entrance is in need of repair and the impression does not get better when one is informed that the innkeeper's office is located in the basement. It gets a little bit better after that. We were shown our room which was large with high ceilings and well equipped. The room could have had a lot more impact had it contained a small sitting area by the couch. As I said, "halfway there". Bathroom facilities were fine.
Breakfast was included in the price and ok if you like cereals (we do). The owner is personable, but may be overworked looking after this place.
A little imagination could turn this historic building into a real gem.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hobbychef_10
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 25 September 2012

I stumbled upon this gem through our corporate travel website when I was looking for a someplace after I got off the Wood Islands - Caribou ferry. What a GREAT find!

Given the later hour, the innkeeper was out but had left my key and note taped to the office door. I found a really charming room with high ceilings, a small but well-appointed bathroom and outfitted with a full-size bed, mini-kitchen, and desk facing the harbour. I enjoyed a night of deep sleep after a long day.

In the morning, I went downstairs for breakfast and found the ground floor (facing the harbour) had been turned into a small gathering space. There was a wide assortment of good quality cold cereal, great fresh baked bread and plenty of hot coffee. In addition, I met the very friendly & knowledgeable innkeeper, Doug, who kept up a great conversation and seemed to know as much about U.S. politics as most of my friends.

If you are in the area for any reason and you need lodging, this is a great place and a great value, too. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 21 September 2012

This was a lucky last-minute find in our recent road trip through Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. Pictou is an amazingly scenic place. The local residents, to commemorate their founding fathers and mothers, built an authentic replica of the ship that sailed here from Scotland. It sits in the picturesque harbour, with a number of good eating places nearby. Customs House is a beautifully rehabbed building, with one of the most comfortable beds we slept in on the 9-day trip. From the outside, a beautiful old working building, you'd never guess the luxury you will find inside. The only downside is the help-yourself Spartan breakfast. The innkeepers were very gracious with pointers about where to go and what to do, and helpful with our other needs!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 27 August 2012

This Inn was a real find. Our King room was huge, well furnished and had a huge bathroom. This is the old Customs house, That has been restored and is very nice. The continental breakfast in the old pub was basic but good. The room rate was very reasonable.There are several restaurants within walking distance ( the Thai was great)

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pictou
Travelodge Suites New Glasgow
The Pictou Puffin Bed and Breakfast
The Lionstone Inn
The Lionstone Inn
#2 of 3 in Pictou

Been to Customs House Inn? Share your experiences!