“WONDERFUL food, great view”

Pictou Lodge Beachfront Resort
Ranked #3 of 42 Restaurants in Pictou
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We dined here for dinner and breakfast, as we were staying at the resort. The food was truly wonderful. After a week of indulging in seafood chowder in Nova Scotia, I can attest that this was the best I had all week (and I think I had 4-5 times!) I'd also give high marks to the oysters, salads, and apple dessert (with a churro-like crust! I'm sure not good for me, but very tasty!). The service was very friendly, and was especially accommodating of the food allergies of one member of our party. Finally--you can't beat the view from this place. There are panoramic windows of the bay, with picturesque views of sailboats and the PEI ferry passing by.

Breakfast was also wonderful. I'd highly recommend the fish cakes--the tomato jam accompaniment is stellar!

1  Thank Stephanie M

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

We drove from the town of Pictou out to the lodge. Parked. Enjoyed the grand view of Pictou Bay and went inside to celebrate my birthday. We were greeted with,"Do you have reservation?" We didn't. It was a weekday and it was late afternoon. The girl snipped out that all seats were taken with reservation. I looked sad and repeated ,"You have no seating tonight?" To which she replied,"You can sit at the bar" and walked away. We walked around the grand bar room. There was one couple having a drink. We saw no one to ask if they served food so left. Glad for them that the place is do popular you need reservations but they need to work in their people skills.

1  Thank Visitvango
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

It's not right in town (PICTOU) but only a few minutes away .. the view .. the food .. everything was amazing. The kichen was a bit slow but when we took our first bites we knew why .. the veggie sandwhich .. Maple butternut squash soup .. seafood chowder and fish cakes .. outstanding. Eat here.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

It was our 50th wedding anniversary night, we were tired, having traveled most of the day. After seeing the Hector and the Quay, we rested then came here to dine. Entering the place for the first time is in itself enchanting. We were greeted nicely and taken to our reserved table by the row of windows overlooking the water, a magnificent view. The table settings were lovely, the waitresses were courteous and helpful, and the dining area was quiet and peaceful. We each ordered lobster and it was the most succulent, tasteful and perfectly cooked yet. The potatoes and carrots were heavenly. As we dined we watched the darkness gather out the window. Afterwards, we strolled around on the bluff outside in the twilight, savoring the moment, one we will long remember.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

My husband and I have been to this resort's fine dining area as well as the bar/lounge (former ball room) recently. All of the fine dining seats have a stunning view of the Northumberland Strait- and when we were there- two eagles down where the pond meets the ocean. Although few other diners were watching them and enjoying them as much as we did, this "free show" was worth the cost of dinner! Warm biscuits and a molasses-butter was the start of the meal. A small appetizer, I do not recall the name- was compliments of the chef, very nice. I had the spinach salad- delicious, but much too large for an appetizer. My husband had the mussels and they were very good. I had the lobster dinner, with potato pave (like a potato scallop), vegetables and a red slaw. I would have preferred a plain melted butter instead of the sauce they included. My husband had the prime rib dinner, with the same vegetables as I did. The beef was just soso. Their wine is very reasonablably priced; we had a litre of a red house wine for $26.00. Two weeks later we returned late in the evening to just relax in the newly renovated bar. Again we ordered the same wine, and a "meat and stuff" tray, ($15.00) with an additonal charge of $4.00 for cheese. It was excellent- with one exception, there was not enough bread included to truly enjoy the meat and condiments provided. Two more slices of a baquette would not cost much to add to the tray! The bartender/waitress was friendly, efficient, and helpful to tell us what the "meat loaf" slice contained- it was decadent for a pork lover like me! Before we left, we told the server about our opinion that a couple more slices of bread on the tray would be an improvement on the serving appearance and enjoyment.
We will be back to enjoy their famous brunch soon!