“Pros and Cons”

Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Barrie
Vineland, Canada
“Pros and Cons”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

First let me start by saying this hotel has the most comfortable bed i have ever slept in ... and i have stayed in many hotels ... the hotel overall is clean and very pleasant ... we booked 3 rooms and were attending a wedding that was in innisfil ... the rooms are great, bathrooms, tv, space all excellent ... i couldn't get the wifi working for some reason but that could've just been my connection .. wasn't really an issue ...

the breakfast was sufficient for us to fuel up before we checked out ...

my only issue was regarding the staff ... the girl who checked us in and out was wonderful ... courteous, friendly and totally sweet ... the girl who was working the morning we checked out was rather rude, curt and i felt as though i was bothering her by asking for my breakfast vouchers ... she gave me 4 vouchers for 2 rooms .. but we had 3 in one room, she said we only have 2 registered, i said ok well so now what .. she said you'll have to pay 10 dollars for the additional person i said ok that's fine ... so i grabbed my 4 vouchers and went to the restaurant, the lady there said 5 vouchers please .. i said i have 4, can i just pay you $10, she said no you have to pay front desk and get an actual voucher .. i thought ok i was just there, it would have been nice if the staff member had told me that 20 seconds ago .. so back i go ... i said i didn't realize i needed to purchase the voucher off of you, she gave me the "are you stupid" look and said $11.30 .. i gave her a 20 dollar bill and she gave me the change in all loonies .. i thought geeeeeeez ...

anyway aside from that, this hotel was terrific ... and i can't state enough how incredibly comfortable the beds are .. i think they're tempurpedic .... SO COMFY !!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
LaSalle, Canada
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We stayed there as a youth girls sports team in June 2014.. From the moment we checked in front desk staff was cold and acting like it was bothersome for us to be there. Just so you are aware I have sent the same information to the sales manager who booked our team' stay and have received no response.
Rooms were nice
1) Breakfast was a joke- one father on our team brought his ticket down and told the staff he was just grabbing a coffee and then going upstairs to grab his daughter and would be down to eat. He was told it was 1 trip only, if he got a coffee and left he could not come back for breakfast. She would not budge on this, another person in the breakfast area said if I make my plate of food and get up to go out to the washroom can I not come back in to eat and she said no it's one trip only

2) we asked the front staff if there was a small room we could use to eat our lunch together as a team. She said no, I said we were willing to pay to use it, she said no because you have to use our caterer. I asked if we could sit out at the 3-4 patio tables outside, she again said no. I assured her I would supervise and clean and was told she would check. She again said no I asked if it was part of the restaurant and she said no. We would up eating our lunch in the hallway as a team.

3) the elevator was very slow and was making a large clunking sound and the door would take forever to open. 10 of our girls got stuck in the elevator. When they pushed the emergency call button it rang the front desk whose response to them was thanks for telling me. She never called anyone or did anything. They called again and she again said thanks. The girls called a father from the team who was a firefighter, he had to tell the front desk to call elevator company and eventual the fire department had to come. After 30 minuted they were rescued, never once did anyone from the hotel come down to check on them being stuck or say one thing to us about this. It was ignored.

4) at 9:30 a group of parents were talking in hallway we were asked to close our doors and be quiet. At 3:30am wedding party guests slamming doors, screaming at top of lungs, running in hallways never addressed.

I get that often times hotels may view having teams stay as bothersome then don't quote us and accept us to stay if you are going to give us subpar lack of customer service and act like we are inconviencing you. We are returning to Barrie next month but will find alternative hotel arrangements as I feel we can find better.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We recently stayed at the Monte Carlo for one night. Our room was clean, comfortable and quiet. Water pressure in the shower was very good. The staff was very accomodating and friendly. The continental breakfast was sufficient for us...for a hot breakfast, the charge was very minimal. We found the hotel conveniently located( right along the 400) and easy to access the 400. My daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed the pool which was open until 11 p.m. For a comfortable and affordable overnight stay I would recommend the Monte Carlo.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Monte Carlo Inn M, Manager at Monte Carlo Inn Barrie Suites, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you for your recent stay with us and providing your feedback.

I am pleased that you found your room to be clean and comfortable and the hotel staff friendly. We strive to provide the best possible service to our customers - I will be sure to pass along your kind comments to our staff.

Thank you for your recommendation of the Monte Carlo Inn Barrie Suites! We look forward to welcoming you again.
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This property is OK at best. Swimming pool is very small, only suitable with small children. Needs a hot tub to make it more interesting. Standard rooms are on the small side and crowded with furniture. Layout of hotel is rather confusing and disjointed. Breakfast is very basic and not fresh, Internet was not the fastest but adequate. Staff were all friendly. Location is not great with minimal restaurants in walking distance. The area is quite industrial / commercial and unattractive.

Dinner at the hotel restaurant was excellent.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for your recent stay with us and providing feedback.

I am pleased that you found the staff here to be friendly. I do apologize however, for any inconveniences that you did experience.

We certainly hope to welcome you again when you are in the Barrie area.
North Bay
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend. It was clean and lovely and quiet. Parking is easy and the staff is courteous. Find somewhere else for breakfast though, it's not great and it's packed. I would definitely recommend this for a quick stay!

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank CarrieTr
Monte Carlo Inn M, Manager at Monte Carlo Inn Barrie Suites, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Thank you for choosing the Monte Carlo Inn Barrie Suites for your recent visit to Barrie. We appreciate the feedback.

We are pleased that our found the hotel clean and lovely, and our staff courteous. We will be sure to pass this along to our staff.

We look forward to having your back on your next visit to Barrie!
Toronto
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Attended a conference at the Monte Carlo.
The food was ok and very plain....nothing special but I did not eat in the dining room just had conference food. I was not impressed.
The suite was clean....but very strange arrangement of pictures on the wall....one hidden behind a lamp.
The staff were very obliging and pleasant.
One of the doors to one of the rooms squeaked every time it was opened.
I wouldn't pick this place for a conference as all the conference rooms are in the basement....kind of dreary down there.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank whtschnauz
Thank you for visiting the Monte Carlo Inn Barrie Suites while attending your conference.
We certainly appreciate your business and your feedback.

Although it is true that our conference rooms are on the lower level, we hope that our large glass doors to our patio outside does let in some of the light!

I will pass along your comments about our conference food to our restaurant.

I am pleased that our found our staff pleasant and obliging.

We look forward to welcoming your back on your next visit to the Barrie area.
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Spent a weekend at this location in early May 2014. The room depicted as having a fridge in the room, well it did. It just didn't work. Since I have dietary restrictions this was not good. The front desk was told, but nothing was done. Had to throw out my fresh food. The breakfast room is a farce. All carb, no decaf, no room to 'make your own" breakfast, crowded seating. The bathroom light was shorting out, not good when in the shower to find yourself in a pitch black unfamiliar room. Again, front desk was told, again nothing was done.Upon arrival, the room smelt like stale cigarette smoke. Told front desk. They suggested we complain formally but were not told how or who to complain to. Our cards deactivated after the first night. The second day we had no face cloths, not even one! Gave up didn't call down to front desk. Mentioned these issues as we checked out. Nothing! Sent e-mail to head office- No response. Will I stay there again. NO! Plenty of hotels close by to choose from. The sad thing is we have stayed there before and were quite happy. What has changed? ownership? policy? The only good thing are the beds, they are soooo comfortable!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for visiting the Monte Carlo Inn Barrie Suites on your recent visit to Barrie. I certainly appreciate the business and your feedback.

I am sorry to hear that we may not have provided the highest level possible of hospitality and comfort during your stay. I have reviewed all of the issues raised so that they may be corrected, and something like this does not reoccur.

I would be happy to discuss your stay with you directly if you like.

I do think I wrote you a letter and sent it by mail. I am sorry that you did not receive it timely.

I do hope you will visit us again. This would give us the opportunity to demonstrate a better level of service.

Travellers are raving about these Barrie hotels