“Very good stay in Barrie”

Holiday Inn Barrie Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Barrie
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We stayed here one night for a family function nearby. Overall, the hotel met all of our expectations. Rooms had free wifi and were clean and a good size for 4 people. The hotel had a pool and hot tub, which we used. The hot-tub was warm, but have been in some that were a lot hotter. There is also a dry sauna, which was really warm.

Our date included breakfast, which had something for everyone. The buffet had both hot and cold items and a selection of drinks.

Overall, I would recommend to anyone travelling to Barrie.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ryan8437
GMHIBARIIE, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Barrie Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor, and we appreciate your recommendation!

Reviewed 12 March 2014

My husband and I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Barrie (Fairview) on a number of occasions. Each and every time we have received very pleasant and efficient treatment by staff, and our room has been wonderful. The beds are comfortable, and every customer need is catered to. The location has been perfect for us, and the in-house restaurant offers a very good menu for a reasonable price. On one occasion our return home was delayed due to weather, and the staff were most understanding and accommodating to us. They could not have been kinder. I have no hesitation in giving this hotel a five-star rating, or recommending it to everyone. Susie Lee

Room Tip: I haven't found a room I didn't like!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank susan l
GMHIBARIIE, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Barrie Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2014

Thank you for your glowing review! We are glad to hear that you have always received consistently wonderful service. We look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

My girlfriends and I met up at the Holiday Inn..for a night of fun and laughter...Jenny the waitress /bartender made our stay that much nicer...her sense of humor and speedy service was next to none...
Wes also did a great job at the front desk... I say to this hotel...you staff make it what it is....they deserve a raise...

Room Tip: Ask how far away your room is from front desk...this is a large hotel...long walk.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank sue b
GMHIBARIIE, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Barrie Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor! We are very happy that the staff made your stay so enjoyable. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Visited the hotel with two kids and my husband. We managed to have two queens and an additional cot in the one room and we were comfortable. Clean room, comfy beds and a nice pool. What more could one ask for? All for a low price.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank ontariogirl41
GMHIBARIIE, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Barrie Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Thank you for your glowing review on Tripadivor, we are happy you enjoyed your stay! We hope to see you & your family again soon.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Toilet had no pressure.
Shower had no pressure, shower head would fall straight down when on.
Pillows & bed uncomfortable.
Loud people & music all night
very hot all over the hotel.
We were unable to sleep consistently through the night, only got about 4 hours of sleep due to noise from guests and the ice machine.
Dinner was planned for the event we attended and my child was completely missed, the staff were informed and got a dinner ready.
The staff were very friendly but in general this hotel needs some updating.

2  Thank Jonzey2014
GMHIBARIIE, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Barrie Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Thank you for your comments. We are always interested to hear what our guests have to say about their experience with us. We apologize that your stay was less than perfect regarding your guest room. Your noise complaint is unfortunate and not common at this hotel as we do have a designated security officer on every night to ensure the safety, security and comfort of all our guests.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

We stayed here for 1 night last weekend.

Pro's:
- Front lobby staff were awesome!
- Pizza and pop deal was great!

Con's:
- One of our chairs in the room had stains on it (not sure what it was and not sure I want to find out).
- My entire family was woken up at 5:00 am by security yelling at the guy across from us telling him to keep quiet and complaining about how many people were in his room. Finally the security guy left and I fell back to sleep.
- We were all woken up again at 5:20 by the same security guy yelling at the same guy but this time the security guy had the police with him and the guy ended up being evicted from his hotel room. We ended up staying up as none of us could fall back asleep.

Kind of an oxymoron when you think of it... We never even heard the guy across the hall from us... the ONLY person we could hear was the security guard yelling.

I complained to the front lobby staff and they gave us a measly 25% discount... I think it should have definitely been more of a discount as we were exhausted the next day for the drive home and my 5 year old son was tired and cranky which made it for an even longer drive home...

1  Thank Jason G
GMHIBARIIE, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Barrie Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Thank you for your comments. We are always interested to hear what our guests have to say about their experience with us. Your noise complaint is unfortunate and not common at this hotel. The designated security officers we on every night are there to ensure the safety, security and comfort of all our guests and we apologize that they were the ones to disturb your evening.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

In today's era of "me, myself & I" it is very difficult to find employees who truly "want" to give to others and serve others without the attitude of resentment or underlying anger for a job that they are employed to do. It seems that there are "some" individuals who want the pay check but not the work. We've all been served by individuals of this nature when on vacation or on business trips.

The hospitality business is indeed one that will either sink or swim based on their employees' disposition towards serving others while staying at their hotel that they are employed by. And with this statement in mind...I most certainly give this Holiday Inn in Barrie a 5 star! The pool room, the lounge, the on-site restaurant, etc..are not the qualities that come to my mind when I confidently give a 5 star...but rather the employees. They are the ones who are the "5 stars".

Let me openly admit I am a princess when it comes to traveling and cleanliness is #1, attentive service #2, and quality food #3. And each of these criteria where mastered beyond expectation!
My husband and I typically stay only at 5 star hotels and even pay extra for "gold floors" such as the Fairmont, but sadly, our last experience was terrible and was noisier (till 2 am!) then our budget hotel stays that we always attend at while on our son's hockey tournaments. If any of you good old Canadian Hockey Moms & Dads know...they can get pretty rowdy in the halls. And yet while I stayed here for another hockey tournament...I was clearly but kindly informed at the front desk that there was a 10 o'clock curfew for noise levels. I am the team's trainer and I emailed all of parents and notified them of the curfew time and insisted they all abide, however there was another team also staying on the same floor (I'm sure they group all hockey teams together to ensure a more pleasant stay for non-hockey team guests on other floors) that were rowdy and it was past curfew time. I simply placed one call to the front desk and literally before I finished my sentence....she had reassured me that security would be right down to address the issue and she even added and reassured me that this is why they pay for security to ensure everyone has a pleasant stay. ...Are you kidding me!!! Wow! What great "professional" service!
I called down 3 times at the Fairmont only to give up calling at 2 am, where as here at this Holiday Inn, in less then 5 mins. I heard only silence in the hall. I was so overly impressed and thankful because our little guys had an early morning game the following day. I have had the pleasure of speaking to the young lady at the front desk on numerous occasions for a variety of needs and each and every time Stephanie was beyond pleasant, cheerful and extremely professional. Amazing person to work the front desk where first impressions are made...super choice with Stephanie!

The following morning we arranged to have the team met at their on-site restaurant for breakfast. My family and I had stayed here in the past and I was always very pleased with their cleanliness of their hotel and their food. This was the reason I suggested to our manger to book this hotel for our tournament. And once again, I was not disappointed. The quality of food was again exceptional... versus the several other hockey tournament hotels. For the most part I feel insulted at most hotel restaurants when on tournaments. There has been so many other hotels that I have felt as though they tried not to serve us any "real" food but only bare basics and low quality. However this establishment truly "cares" about satisfying your body & mind. The quality of the breakfast buffet is more then the basics. They serve hot scrambled eggs, Santa Fe eggs, sausage, bacon, hash browns, waffles, french toast, pancakes, assorted breads, cereals, porridge, fruits, etc.. Honestly, everything you could want for breakfast and more. And they even changed it up the following day with equally fabulous food! All very hot and fresh and ample supply. They never ran out of food or left anything empty. (The Fairmont Royal York did) The food server constantly came by our table and asked us if we needed anything, cleared our dirty plates promptly, refilled beverages promptly and even accommodated my request of glasses of waters for each of my hockey boys to hydrate them prior to our game. With a smilie literally on her face, she promptly served them all without even a fraction of delay. And keep in mind, Adrienne, our server, had 15 families PLUS other non-hockey related guests to serve and was equally serving them all with exceptional professionalism and quality. My husband & I are both business owners and we both equally seen the qualities of this lady to be management quality without a doubt! As mentioned previously...she loved to serve others and was pleased to do so and was not in the least giving minimal effort. She appeared to be new because she seemed so overly happy, giving, attentive to detail, gracious, kind, friendly, etc... usually all qualities of new employees but apparently ADRIENNE has been with this hotel for a year at least....amazing Adrienne!!!! I was so impressed with her that it prompt me to stop my day at work in my business and contact the hotel manager Don Buckle and praise him for an exceptional employee as well as the entire staff and service we received while staying at his hotel. I would also like to add at this time that I had left a message to speak with Mr. Buckle on his voice mail with only my name and contact number...no detail regarding what I wanted to speak about...and he equally returned my call promptly and I might say, very happy and friendly. We spoke for some time and I can certainly see how his mannerism and professionalism has rubbed off on his employees. I can only imagine from my personal experience that he has made this establishment a "happy place" for his employees to work at. That is a praise to be certainly proud of Mr. Don Buckle! My hat goes off to you sir.

I also needed to contact the "lost & found" department today in housekeeping as I thought I left a shopping bag of new items in our room. I left a message and within less then an hour my call was promptly returned. I found my item here at home after I shortly had left my message but the service in EVERY department...from hotel manger, front desk, food service, security, housekeeping....cleanliness of the rooms (I asked for hypo allergic room), pool hours and cleanliness of pool area, etc.. Just every single aspect of this hotel was nothing short of
"Old-Fashion 1st Class"!

Thank you each and everyone one of you for taking pride in your job and taking pride in representing yourself! You should all be VERY proud! As well as your family members.
Thank you!

Mrs. Carol-Lynn Hawes

4  Thank AlwaysANatureBaby
GMHIBARIIE, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Barrie Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Thank you very much for your comments!