“Pleasantly surprised”

Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Barrie
Toronto
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

First off, I'm glad I read the reviews here prior to booking as I took into account everyone's tips and experiences. Based on the reviews, myself and wife booked a Valley view room in the main hotel complex. The room was excellent and I couldn't find fault with it. That said, check your emails before you go - I got inexplicably bumped off my original booking and was given a courtyard view - and so I had to call customer service to get back my original booking.

On the not so good we arrived on a Saturday and we went for a late afternoon stroll around the complex. It was drizzling rain slightly and the onsite coffee places and casual eating places were all shut/closed. It felt eerily reminiscent of some Stephen King novel where everyone has disappeared and the play areas were deserted. I can understand places shutting early but for everything to be closed is not something I could visualize at other better known resorts - thus I'm withholding one star from my overall assessment.

Both the Crazy Horse restaurant and the breakfast dining are to be recommended. Would I go again ? Probably but when the place is a lot more busy outside.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Sean B, General Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, 20 October 2013
Thank you so much for a candid review!

I am glad that you enjoyed the investments we have made in the property and that you took the time to read the reviews. Our newly renovated rooms are an excellent experience.

I am disappointed that you did not get a chance to experience all of the venues and do hope that you return during the winter to see all of the services open to you.

Looking forward to hosting you again,

Sean

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 25 September 2013

It was our 10th wedding anniversary and even though we are homebodies, we decided because it was such a big day that we would get my parents to watch the kids for a night, take the Friday of work (which was our actual anniversary date) and head somewhere for the night. We looked around at several packages, specifically looking for ones that included a couples massage (neither of us have ever had a professional massage and thought this would be a great chance to get one) and included a whirlpool/jacuzzi tub.
We happened upon the Play and Relax package at Horseshoe resort which included a room with fireplace and "whirlpool tub", included a couples massage, a bottle of champagne, dinner and buffet breakfast. Sounded perfect. We booked through the website and then once booked, I called the spa to make our massage appointment. We decided to make it for 3 pm on the Friday as it was an our long and check-in was at 4pm.

Our anniverasary came and we hit the road from Brampton and then received a phone call just after 1pm. It was the spa calling to confirm that we were coming to our massage. I said we were and she replied "well your massage was for 1 and it is now 10 after." I quickly corrected her and told her our massage was for 3. To which she replied that they were now fully booked for the weekend. I told her that was unacceptable and she said she'd look into it and call me back. An hour and a half later, she calls back and says that they can fit us in at 9:15 Saturday morning. So our one night away from the kids, when we would actually get a chance to sleep in, we now had to get up early the next morning. As the massage was one of the key reasons we came to this resort, we took the 9:15 appt as we didn't want to miss out.

As we had planned on being at the spa for 3 for our originally scheduled massage, we arrived around 2:45 and were hoping for an early check in. The resort lobby was pure chaos. People arriving for a wedding, many Georgian College students doing an amazing race type activity and the lady at the front desk was on the phone with what seemed like a staff member and then was trying on another phone and walkie talkie to get a hold of another staff member. We waited for 15 minutes before we were even addressed. Luckily we were able to check in early... however she was still very distracted with the staff members, trying to track someone down, she didn't make eye contact or even smile at us. She asked "how many cards?" I replied "One will be fine." and then she handed us 2. Good thing she was listening to me. She didn't give us any info about the resort, the adventure park, hiking trails, anything. We got the impression that she just wanted to get rid of us.

We get to our room and quickly realize that the "whirlpool tub" which we thought would have jets, was in fact just a big bath tub. And looking out our window to see the reception tent for the wedding. Normally we would've gone to the front desk to ask to be moved, but we were already so flustered with everything, we didn't want to have to go through that too. It's funny that you would think that they would've put someone that was going to the wedding in the room beside the reception tent... Later on this proved to be very loud. Good thing we liked the music. I could sing to it while lying in bed.

With our package stating that it included a bottle of champagne, we were waiting for it to arrive... it never did. We didn't really think that we needed to ask for it!!

We went to Silks Lounge for dinner and thank goodness it was amazing. Food and service were great.

Headed back to our room after dinner, by now it was pouring rain outside, and turned on the TV to see that with the rain the satelite was not working and we couldn't get anything on any channel. There wasn't even an option for movies. Luckily we had the blaring music from the reception outside our window that we could dance too. LOL.

Next morning, up early as we have our massage from 9:15 to 10:15 and breakfast ends at 10:30 and check out is 11. We decided to check out then before our massage. Checking out was almost the same as checking in. Wasn't as busy, but definitely not friendly. No one ever asked how our stay was, if we enjoyed ourselves...

After check out we headed to the spa for our massage. Our massages were ok. My husband enjoyed his more than I did. Some spots that weren't even bothering me were worked on for far too long and my tense shoulders were barely touched. My first impression of a professional massage was not good at all. As we are walking out of our massage the lady at the desk of the spa says "Your package covered $100 towards your massage so you owe $70." Knowing that it said that a couples massage was included in the package I argued with her. She then called down to the front desk to confirm. In her conversation with the front desk, we hear her say that the massages were done by esthecians not RMTs, so we cannot get it covered by our benefits. Never were we told that they would not be RMTs!! The front desk then tells her that the massages are not covered if it is not RMTs. I am surprised, but not totally shocked as I thought our package included champagne and a tub with jets... So because we were upset she gave us a 50% discount and then we paid $85. Immediately we went to the front desk to ask for a manager, to find out that there was no manager on duty until 2pm. The lady at the front desk realized that there was miscommunication between her and the lady at the spa and told us that in fact our massage was part of our package and that we could go back to the spa to get a refund on our $85.

It was now 10:45 and the buffet was supposed to end at 10:30... luckily there were still bits and pieces around enough for us to have a good breakfast. After breakfast we went to the spa to get a refund and then got out of that resort as fast as we could!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Christina D

Travellers are raving about these Barrie hotels

Reviewed 19 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Horseshoe Valley for 2 nights on a work trip. I stayed in the grey stone building next to the Crazy Horse pub which houses all the condo suites. My suite was spacious and decently clean, but not totally spotless. The bathrooms are outfitted with lots if towels and great toiletries. The kitchen has everything you could want or need to cook and entertain in room. A quick, simple stay. Would come again if I ever find myself coming to ski or snowboard on an overnight trip in Barrie.

• Stayed September 2013
Sean B, General Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Thank you so much for visiting the Resort and for taking the time to post your feedback.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed the stay and that you would be open to coming back if business brings you back our way.

Please do not hesitate to contact me abour you next stay - and hopefully there is a chance to have some leisure time wtih us.

All the best,

Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We travelled a few hours to enjoy our one and only summer vacation at Horse shoe resort.Where do I start! Hmmmmm, Not informed Warrior Dash (20,000) people was happening that weekend, due to weather we were unable to enjoy our booked segway tour ( because of warrior dash tour could not be rescheduled!)The entire reason we chose Horse shoe was for the segway tour. The segway tour staff were the only bright spot!,Interestingly they are not actual hotel staff. During power outage absolutely While i know that the hotel can not control mother nature however a little compassion for hotel guests goes a long way. NO attempt was made by hotel and staff to help us, emergency lights were not on , had to get to room in dark halls, had to call husband in our room to come and open jammed hall door! that would have been a nice touch in a fire! a woman answering at front desk was hostile when asked if there was news of when power would be back on. I am from out of town and not only managed to talk to someone from hydro and find out power restoration time but they actually gave me a call on my cell to say power was back. We left @ 4 to drive into near by town for food, again it was as if we were invisable. Indoor pool had NO supervision or staff/life guard, after watching two adult males act dangerously with their small children my young daughter and I left, I didnt want to witness someones harm or worse death! YES IT WAS THAT DANGEROUS!! the two men having a foul language conversation while we tried out the hot tub was the straw that broke the camels back. again NO staff was present. We enjoyed the adventure park the next day,we were at the resort until 5 p.m , we had checked out by 10 am in that time no one from the hotel made the attempt to call my cell to tell my I had left a dress and two good towels in our room, I have had friends receive by mail underwear from Europe they had left by accident. Upon booking I had asked for a specific room and did not receive that type, we were put on the third floor that was under construction!! There was actually a piece of paper with " staff only" scribbled on the hall doors leading to our room ( the doors that were jammed shut during the power outage!oh and my favorite part was the barking dog in our hall at 6a.m( not a service dog I will add) sadly the most annoying part is we were sent a email asking about our stay/ experience and I explained the terrible troubles we had and have never had any contact from hotel to at least apologize. NOT worth the money they charge for the level of service and care you get! They may want to go to Great Wolf Lodge and see how its done!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank DTPrice13
Sean B, General Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
I would be happy to speak with you personally about your specific experience.

Please contact me directly at the Resort.

Many thanks,

Sean Billing
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I stayed for four nights the week of August 5th and was very disappointed. We stayed in the run down two bedroom condo unit. The elevator, air conditioning didn't work and wifi was either slow or not working at all. There was a discussing smell in the foyer, stairwell and the room. One of the two chairs on the balcony was broken. Getting to the pool you are treated to dark and dirty hallways, ripped carpet and missing ceiling tiles. The pool is cold and dirty and used by a daycare in the afternoon so forget relaxing by the pool or in the room (windows have to be open because of the lack of AC). The pool by the main hotel was out of order.
The Dark Horse bar was also very dated and smelled, the beer overpriced and service slow.
The fine dining restaurant had a wonderful atmosphere but the service was unbelievably slow and the lobster festival entree was so bad I couldn't eat it so I eat by myself as my family watched. The salmon I had was good and I appreciated it being taken off the bill.
The adventure park is for small children so my teenage daughter had little to entertain her.
I complained about the condo as soon as I arrived and was told they would look at moving us to the main building, nobody contacted me. I complained again checking out and was again ignored. I filled out two surveys sent from the resort and one from the parent company and checked the box "would you like to be contacted by one of our management team" and was ignored. I sent an email to Jaunt.ca who I booked through, they contacted Horseshoe suggesting I be contacted and was still ignored. It is clear the management team knows about the issues but just doesn't care.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Matthew S
Sean B, General Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, 14 September 2013
We care a great deal about the feedback we receive and I must apologize that your specific feedback has not made it to me until just now. We have a strong record of follow up and you will here from my team directly.

The resort is very much under massive improvement and I am disappointed that you did not get moved to a room that was newly renovated.

Many thanks for posting your comments,

Reviewed 5 September 2013

The staff are very friendly. Rooms are clean, bathrooms seem to have been recently upgraded. Loved the large glassed in shower. Odd, no coffee pot, but they will bring you one. Odd, ice bucket but no glasses. Beds are very comfortable. They stop serving breakfast at 10:30, if you arrive early you can eat at Loobie's down the street. The other restaurant on the resort does not service breakfast, they open at 11:00 for lunch.

Room Tip: Pick a valley facing room, rather than courtyard (i.e. parking lot & driveway)
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Sean B, General Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Thank you very much for staying with us and for taking the time to post your feedback!

We are delighted that you enjoyed the experience and particularly that you found the service to be friendly.

We have removed the coffee makers and now do complimentary fresh brewed coffee in the lobby. As you noted, we can supply a coffee maker if you prefer this. I will follow up on the lack of glasses in your room, this is our standard and it was clearly missed.

We do hope to see you back for more relaxation or for an active weekend on a bike, skis or the golf courses.

All the best,

Ajax, Canada
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Booked a last-minute overnight golf package to celebrate mine and my husband's first year wedding anniversary. Check-in was quick and friendly - I had told them beforehand that it was our anniversary and were quick to congratulate us upon arrival and pull some strings to get us last-minute dinner reservations at Silk - and a bottle of wine was waiting for us in our large room. We spent the afternoon walking around the resort, playing the fun mini-golf course, stopping for a caesar and a snack at the Crazy Horse, and shopping for some new golf attire at the clubhouse. Golf the next morning was amazing at their Highlands course, and we came home relaxed and happy.

Our only complaint was our experience at Silk. While waiting for our table, we asked the bartender at the lounge for a drink. She completely ignored us for 20 minutes (The affluent-looking foursome next to us was tipping her heavily so I understand why she wasn't willing to give her attention to anyone else) and once we finally got our drinks our table was ready. Once we received our meals I noticed that my steak was rare (I had asked for medium-well) and when the server came back with the steak that had been supposedly placed on the grill again, it was floating in a pool of blood on the same plate it went in on (I know this because she used my breadcrumb-filled side plate to transport the steak) , untouched. The server was apologetic, and reimbursed us for my meal. The best part of the meal was the sticky toffee pudding, which was awesome. My husband's dessert, the apple parcel, turned out to be a run-of-the-mill apple blossom.

Because of the great service we were given at the Hotel, we will definitely return to the Horseshoe, but will likely try our hand at another restaurant when it comes to dinner.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Congratulations on your anniversary and thank you for spending it with us!

I am so glad that you found our new accommodations, service and activites to be so much to your liking. There is so much to do at Horseshoe and we are very pleased you enjoyed it so much.

I will follow up on your concerns in Silks on the service and the presentation of your steak. I will be speaking to the Chef and to our Restaurant Manager to follow these up. It is my hope that you would give us another opportunity in Silks - you could get more sticky toffee pudding.

Wishing you another happy year,