“Fun place, condo little dated, spa forgot to book me in!”
Review of Horseshoe Resort

Horseshoe Resort
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Barrie
Sarnia, Canada
“Fun place, condo little dated, spa forgot to book me in!”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Rented the two bedroom condo for 4 nights. The kids had a blast at the Adventure Park, but I thought the passes were a bit pricey for the amount of time you get to use them. The park opens at 11:00 and closes at 6:00, so when we bought our tickets at 1:00 felt we had to race through the park to use up the pass because it would not be good the following day. My 6 and 4 year old quickly got exhausted and we did not get to use some of the attractions on the pass. Would have been nice to use the following day when the park opened to make up for the late start.
As for the condo. It was great for our family! Lots of room and we got lots of use out of the kitchen. Only complaint is that the room is a bit dated, could use a make over!
I was in a wedding on the Saturday and booked a full mani/pedi at 9am the day of the wedding. When I arrived for my appointment, I was not in the system despite my e-mail confirmation. They apologized and got me in for 10:00 for a quick color job as my nails were naked! When I finished they offered me a full treatment the next day, but when I told them I would not be able to use it as we had to pack up the room, and head to the wedding brunch for 11:ooam. With that being said, I still had to pay for my color treatment with no extra thought about my missed relaxation time away from the family, of which, I was truly looking forward to!

Room Tip: If you have a family, get the condo!
Lisa R, Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for staying with us and posting your review.

I was delighted to hear the kids had a blast in the adventure park and you found the condo unit to be comfortable & spacious for your family.

I understand you have been communicating with our Shizen Spa Manager and she has arranged for a complimentary visit for you to enjoy some relaxation time.

Lisa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We've stayed at Horseshoe for a long weekend each summer for the past few years to attend a baseball tournament in Orillia. It's a great place to turn the kids loose without worrying about their safety. It has everything the kids love, including indoor and outdoor pools and the Adventure Park. The rooms have been recently renovated and in general are decent, but this resort does not excel at the details. The air conditioning worked poorly - we had to have a fan brought in to cool the room down. But the in-room fridge kept the beverages nicely chilled. The food at the Crazy Horse is mediocre at best. Beyond the burgers there isn't anything I could recommend. And the prices are steep - there is no restaurant alternative within a 20 minute drive and the prices reflect this. The kids would give this place 5 stars, the parents closer to 2, so I'd saw it off at 3.5 out of 5. Just enough to keep us coming back for next year's tournament!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Lisa R, Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Thank you for posting your comments and feedback.

I am delighted the kids had such a great time with all of the activities, we really do appreciate that you return every year.

I was very disappointed to hear your comments on the Crazy Horse Restaurant and would like to turn your experience around when you do return.

Please feel free to give me a call in advance of your next stay. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Waterdown, Canada
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Went here with another family so 4 adults and 3 kids aged 11 and 12. Rooms were nice.First thing to know there are lots of great activities. Mini putt, climbing wall, Ogo ball (you only get 1 roll down the hill additional rolls are $7-SERIOUSLY) and ziplining plus other minor activities. Second to know, they don't open until 11AM and they close at 5PM. Short hours to get it all in and a late start for kids who are excited. Third to know, when you book only one night, you are only able to use the activities on ONE of those days. Important to know!! Another major issue was lack of knowledge. It seemed everyone we asked a question of, had a different answer. Lots of conflicting answers even from staff who were standing right next to each other. Very unprofessional, especially in a service industry. We wanted to do the The Tree Top Trekking. The hotel heavily advertises it on the website and with posters inside the hotel. When we checked in, our "service representative" told us we could book it through her. We came back approx an hour later and asked to do so and a different front desk girl told us that "They" have nothing to do with us you'll have to walk over and find out for yourself! We did just that and found they were much friendlier than the hotel staff. They didn't say much but there is clearly some sort of power struggle going on between the resort and the Trekking. For kids of a similar age, I would stay somewhere else as no breakfast was included and on site restaurants were expensive. If you stay at the hotel, get all of the details in an email prior to going as there is far too much contradicting going on at their desks. Definitely do the Tree Top Trekking. Takes approximately 3 hours and is great exercise and fun!!!

Lisa R, Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for posting your review.

I was disappointed to read of your experience and I want to sincerely apologize for any miscommunication.

I was happy to hear you found Treetop Trekking to be great exercise and a lot of fun. TreeTop is one of our 3rd party partners in which we have a wonderful working relationship with.

Please feel free to contact me at the resort to discuss your experience.

Lisa Reid
Burlington
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We spent 2 nights 3 days at Horseshoe with our 3 kids and a friend of one of our boys, ages 3, 11 &13.

There was something for everyone at the Adventure Park. The pools were great and the Mountain Bike Trails were perfect for first timers through advanced.

We stayed in the condos; the unit was just renovated. Great product. The full kitchen was an added benefit.

We'll be back.

Room Tip: There seemed to be a great selection of rooms. The lofts looked great but the new Condo was perfect...
Lisa R, Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for posting your "Great Active Family Getaway" review.

Happy to hear your family enjoyed all of our adventures and activities and our newly renovated condo suites.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Horseshoe Resort was a great resort to stay at. There are many activities for the whole family to enjoy, the rooms were flawless and the service, overall, was the best we've ever seen in many years of staying at different resorts and hotels.The condo unit that my family stayed is very nice newly renovated its like a brand new unit. Ivan the Front Office Manager and all the Front desk people are very nice and helpful.

Lisa R, Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I have forwarded your comments and feedback to the entire Horseshoe Team including our Front Desk staff.

I was very happy to hear how much your family enjoyed our new renovated condo suites and how pleased you were with the overall service at the resort.

Oakville, Canada
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We have just returned from a two-night stay in a slope-side condo booked with a WagJag Jaunt offer.
A few weeks before our stay, when we read some of the negative reviews about these rooms on this very website, we asked the resort if we could be lodged in one of the renovated condo suites in the same building, only to be told that we would need to pay $60 to guarantee what the resort called an "upgrade". We took our chances but were not provided a renovated room.
As a result, we were very disappointed with our accommodations. While the condo we stayed in was spacious, it was in serious need of updating. The room smelled musty, even hours after opening the patio doors and windows. There were obvious repairs and clean-ups needed throughout the condo. Further, we were told upon check-in that there would be no housekeeping service in our building during our stay (no garbage removal, no replenishing of fresh towels, no maid service, etc.)
Having said that, we enjoyed our time in the resort's Adventure Park, but wish it opened much earlier than 11 a.m. There were countless families waiting to take part in the park's activities, which resulted in a crush of people in the Tack Shop when it finally opened.
Lunch at Crazy Horse was delicious and service was attentive.
We never did use the Shizen Spa, as we were never issued the $35 credit that was part of our WagJag package.
In the end, I wish the resort website provided more photos, and more accurate photos, of the rooms available, so that potential customers could make a more informed decision about their stay.

2 Thank Christine J
Lisa R, Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I was delighted to hear you enjoyed your time in the Adventure Park and Lunch at the Crazy Horse Restaurant.

The two bedroom condos are very spacious and we have been making consistent investments in the resort as we continue to renovate and improve.

The $35.00 credit at the Shizen Spa is issued post treatment upon paying for your services, please feel free to contact me regarding this.

Lisa

Travellers are raving about these Barrie hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I have no words to thank Ivan -Front Office Manager and Kimberly - Front desk for the best customer service we have ever received at a hotel ( and we have traveled a lot all over the world!!!). They went above and beyond to assist us with a couple of issues we had with Tree Top Trekking ( a different company from Horseshoe Resort). We had an amazing weekend filled with laughs and fun. The Adventure park is amazing and my little guy enjoyed every second of it. There are tons of activities for adults and kids. This is a great resort to bring your family for a quick getaway or even longer if you can; you won't get bored. Thank you Ivan!! You are a great professional and very knowledgeable!! You guys were a big part of a wonderful weekend!!!

Lisa R, Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thank you for taking a moment to post your comments and feedback on your "Fantastic Get away".

I will share your review with the rest of the Horseshoe Team specifically our Front Desk management team and the Adventure Park Staff.

I was delighted to hear both the adults and the little one enjoyed the Adventure Park with all of the activities and adventures.

Thank you!